Taylor Martinez comment

UGA_X

Don't listen to the fans on these boards, UGA fans. It makes me sick how childish the majority of Huskers fans are on this site with their comments. I can hardly venture on this site because it is sifting through crap dogging other teams and their fans. Unfortunately it's really the only board for my team and so it's my news source. Just know it isn't reflected in the general fan base.

0eSwd.gif

Tell me more about the diamond formation. Chalkboard it for me.

Basically, it is a variation of an inverted wishbone and/or variation of pistol philosophy. I think Dana Holgorsen used it a lot at Okie State..... Qb is in shotgun with Burkhead approx. 2-3 yards deeper (directly behind QB)..... we use 2 other I backs in this set... one will line up at shot gun depth behind OT and the other will line up at shot gun depth behind opposite OT.... This can be run using 2 TE (as shown in another post) or with 2 SE, still keeping 9 offensive players in the box with the outside deep threat for passing game. Obvioulsy, you can use 1 TE and 1 SE..... We motion out of it, and overload a side and run option, but with a SE, it sets up good play action and IB out of backfield is tough to cover.

It has been a good formation for us.... If used it right situations... I think we should run 5-10 plays from this a game, but usually it is 1-3.... It has been around and used by OSU (as mentioned) and OU I believe. In fact, I think I have even seen the Eagles run a variation.

Not sure if that helps, but about the best I can explain.

Wow, he just shouldn't have said that. If there was any question that the UGA players weren't fired up for this game, that's now gone.

Yeeeeeeaaaaaahhhhhhhh, we've been over this. He wasn't talking smack. If anything he was complimenting them. (Comparing UGA to the aforementioned three top-fifteen defenses and whatnot.)

. . . . . . . RB

. . . . .RB QB RB

TE OL OL C OL OL TE

Its a wishbone in a shot gun formation

................... .... . . . . . . . RB

....................... . . . . .RB QB RB

........................TE OL OL C OL OL TE

..........................DT . . . NT . . DT . OLB

................CB . . OLB . . ILB . ILB ... . . . . . CB

........................................ . . . . . . . . . SS

......................... FS

Christmas Tree Defense

. . . . . . . RB

. . . . .RB QB RB

TE OL OL C OL OL TE

Its a wishbone in a shot gun formation

................... .... . . . . . . . RB

....................... . . . . .RB QB RB

........................TE OL OL C OL OL TE

..........................DT . . . NT . . DT . OLB

................CB . . OLB . . ILB . ILB ... . . . . . CB

........................................ . . . . . . . . . SS

......................... FS

Christmas Tree Defense

If you run it from a SE look, then walk out CB and it will leave 9 on 7 in the box (of course, 1 of those is the QB)... then if you run option, you leave 1 defender, leaving 8 on 6....assuming you get bodies on bodies, it lines up well. If you get too agressive with FS and SS, you better make sure you have a "lock down" CB, because he has NO help if you are aggressive with safeties...plus, covering the RB with an OLB is a mismatch...which is what happens when play flows one direction (offense's L), your FS starts to flow and then the backside SE runs post with backside RB doing a "wheel route" out of backfield..... that is a tough cover..

UGA's LBs are faster than chalkboard LB's. One safety might get aggressive but the other will still help as soon as he sees it's not a run play. Ideally, neither safety gets aggressive, they basically pause for 1.232 seconds after the snap to determine what the play is, unless part of the scheme is to run up or sideways or do cartwheels and jumping jacks to mind--- the offense pre-snap.

UGA's LBs are faster than chalkboard LB's. One safety might get aggressive but the other will still help as soon as he sees it's not a run play. Ideally, neither safety gets aggressive, they basically pause for 1.232 seconds after the snap to determine what the play is, unless part of the scheme is to run up or sideways or do cartwheels and jumping jacks to mind--- the offense pre-snap.

Oh, athletically, I would assume that Georgia can match anyone... I am fairly unfamilar with "all" of the defense.... What I was hinting at...(of course, I love this stuff because I am a coach)....(and then you will draw up defense to stop it..lol)...... it that with your "christmas tree" defense with 2 TE look..... if TE move out to SE, and you keep SS up and stay in an even 4 front.... both CB are outside M/M.... once we run option or toss sweep a handful of time to our left, your right....the FS will tend to mis-step to his right to pursue....If we run post route with backside SE, then OLB must stay with speedy (punt-kick) returner on wheel route...not a good match up regardless of speed. Even if your FS doesn't float, if he vacates, your CB needs to be "lock down" because if the SE gets inside position of post it "could" be trouble (remember....Tmart doesn't always throw a great pass).

Personally, without a lot of thought, you might be able to "pass off" the SE to FS and cover IB with CB....but different routes could cause FS problems...

Of course, if the front 3-4 destroy our OL (which I have predicted), this is all for not !!

Getting our unprotected skill players on the field at the same time. We will have problems with your dawgs defensive line no matter who is missing, some thinking the DL and OL in the Big are the same as the in the SEC are most likely going to learn a valuable lesson, painful but valuable.

Basically, the offense has the benefit of knowing what the play is going to be. Other than that, I don't know what advantage the diamond formation has for Neb.

Like I said, if the OL gets beat, it , or nothing will give Nebraska an advantage. Where it typically gives an offense an advantage is that is puts stress on the defense as far as play calling (which is what you eluded too). You can run a great option speed game, overload sweep game, power game and sets up LB on IB on play-action.... It will all come down to athletic match-ups, scheme wise, OSU-OU and Neb just too mention a few have had success running the diamond. Like I said, I would only use it 5-10 times a game at most....maybe catch Georgia with the wrong package on the field to defend the played called.

One thing is for sure... you don't want your backup center getting neckfcked on every snap by Kwame Geathers. Your starting Center is out.

NT Kwame Geathers: http://www.georgiadogs.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/kwame_geathers_647005.html

How is your backup center? The coach's nephew is also expected to deliver some snaps. How is that going to work out in the Diamond Formation?

We have zero chance. Georgia is too good they are too talented. I mean, there is a reason they ARE playing for a national championship. Oh.. Wait....... Sorry....