Obama/Jersey/Sandy

How hard did you look? Why dont you use your goddam head for more than a hat rack... Fisheries in Alaska, a new roof for the Smithsonian, New rail lines for Amtrack, ammo for the military, what does that have to do with Sandy?

If this spending for the future is so good put it into its own bill and pass it, dont pull a BS like this. Should we not debate and plan where this money goes? Could that be a reason we are in such financial ruin?

Ah, so this is something DIFFERENT than any other bill? These appropriations have NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE? Is that what you're saying?

When you find out that these are tremendously NORMAL things to add to a bill, that nothing is new here, THEN you can come back to me and gripe. THEN.

So that is the fall back? This is how it's done, so lets do it? The way DC operates ticks me off to no end, the "Cliff", Sandy relief, every time Washington pushes the panic button we take it in the shorts. Someone needs to take a stand, we are broke, and these clowns need to get there s^&t straight. Pass relief for Sandy victims. Put the rest into a stand alone bill.

OK, but that "rest" is simple, obvious stuff. It's money for fisheries that we're going to appropriate anyway. It's money to fix the roof of the Smithsonian Institution that we're going to appropriate anyway. Using those line items as an excuse to not even vote on the bill is ridiculous. It flies in the face of how business is done in congress.

I understand where you're coming from about "do those things separately." Probably they should have been done in this case, but the fact that it was done this way shouldn't mean we simply walk away from the bill entirely.

I just can't fathom why, in the face of this utter debacle of failed leadership by House Republicans, we have a thread calling out Obama for not getting this done. Unreal.

OK, but that "rest" is simple, obvious stuff. It's money for fisheries that we're going to appropriate anyway. It's money to fix the roof of the Smithsonian Institution that we're going to appropriate anyway. Using those line items as an excuse to not even vote on the bill is ridiculous. It flies in the face of how business is done in congress.

I understand where you're coming from about "do those things separately." Probably they should have been done in this case, but the fact that it was done this way shouldn't mean we simply walk away from the bill entirely.

I just can't fathom why, in the face of this utter debacle of failed leadership by House Republicans, we have a thread calling out Obama for not getting this done. Unreal.

Agreed on bold. I would say a very public call from Obama to introduce a clean bill might help move things along, although he shouldn't have to do it. But hey, that's how its done, right :cheers

I like how people will accuse Obama of a power grab one minute, and then the next fault him for not acting like a dictator. This congress has had to be bludgeoned into doing the most basic task and is without a doubt the worst in modern history, perhaps the worst in our history. Spending bills have to be passed with unrelated appropriations because the appropriation process has ceased to function. Very little legislation can move though a body that is comprised of members that spend half their time fundraising, and much of the other half not working to craft and vote on legislation.

• Fire 2

How hard did you look? Why dont you use your goddam head for more than a hat rack... Fisheries in Alaska, a new roof for the Smithsonian, New rail lines for Amtrack, ammo for the military, what does that have to do with Sandy?

If this spending for the future is so good put it into its own bill and pass it, dont pull a BS like this. Should we not debate and plan where this money goes? Could that be a reason we are in such financial ruin?

Ah, so this is something DIFFERENT than any other bill? These appropriations have NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE? Is that what you're saying?

When you find out that these are tremendously NORMAL things to add to a bill, that nothing is new here, THEN you can come back to me and gripe. THEN.

So that is the fall back? This is how it's done, so lets do it? The way DC operates ticks me off to no end, the "Cliff", Sandy relief, every time Washington pushes the panic button we take it in the shorts. Someone needs to take a stand, we are broke, and these clowns need to get there s^&t straight. Pass relief for Sandy victims. Put the rest into a stand alone bill.

Please. Beohner needs to bring this bills up for a vote. Plain and simple. He is nothing more than an easily pushed around coward. He needs to grow a pair and just give the finger to the Teabaggers so something can get done in this country. He knows the bill will pass, so he keeps it off the floor so not to anger the cultists on the extreme right.

• Fire 1

I am sick and goddamned tired of the kind of ignorance displayed in the OP. Use your head for something other than a hat rack.

Wow, really?

Kinda disappointed in that remark.

The gov't failed these folks down on the Jersey shore, my wife's g'ma being one of them. Her house got destroyed by the storm. Christie's one guy. Congress is a bunch of folks that aren't getting anything done, and it just so happens that our president is Obama. Imagine if Bush was president during this, people would be spouting the same thing, and to say that they wouldn't, is pretty naive.

I've driven down there, and things are a mess. Not a lot is happening and thats because people can't afford to get things done.

But before you get up on your high horse, take a drive over there, before making a hat rack comment...

• Fire 1

Forgetting the fact that Bush actually had a Congress that could pass a bill. It took 11 days to pass a bill for aid for Katrina. We are on 66 days and counting for Sandy. Bush signed that bill, and I'm sure Obama will sign this one.

Once upon a time in a land much similar to our own, an organization called Congress could put aside politics and petty differences when disaster struck. It must be a fairy tale as that clearly does not happen in our world.

If you live in the United States.... and you don't have insurance...and you simply rely on the federal government to bail you out after disaster...

...YOU are the problem.

Not Obama. Not Bush. Not Congress. Not the director of FEMA.

You.

--

If a city/state can't afford to restore/rebuild after a disaster, the LOCAL GOV. is the problem.

Not Obama. Not Bush. Not Congress. Not the director of FEMA.

--

This idea that the federal government is the "insurance company" we all rely on now is the exact opposite role it's supposed to be playing.

Individuals are supposed to purchase insurance covering their own loses and providing them with the ability to rebuild.

Cities are supposed to have budgets with reserve funds in the event a disaster happens.

States are supposed to be able to support their cities and be able to rebuild infrastructure.

The federal government's role in all this is supposed to be negligible.

--

FEMA should be reduced to an agency with a 2-3m annual budget, that simply develops "frameworks" for state, region, and nation wide insurance, and disaster recovery plans.

• Fire 2

What fantasy world do you live in?

We live in the United States of America, not F Everyone Else Land. The whole concept is for the united strength to overcome massive issues. Like a super storm the likes of which are unrecorded. Its not built on 'everyone on their own'

Insurance does not help in many of these situations. You don't buy insurance for things on a 100 year plain. And some disasters happen on scales unrecorded. Or when you live a few miles inland, you don't buy flood insurance.

Find me a city that can rebuild after losing a massive portion of its infrastructure. Its not possible. They need help.

Have billions of dollars laying around in a 'rainy day fund'? Really? You would be the first person yelling about the gov wasting 'your' money, and that 'you' should pay lower taxes. You can't have it both ways.

• Fire 2

I am sick and goddamned tired of the kind of ignorance displayed in the OP. Use your head for something other than a hat rack.

Wow, really?

Kinda disappointed in that remark.

The gov't failed these folks down on the Jersey shore, my wife's g'ma being one of them. Her house got destroyed by the storm. Christie's one guy. Congress is a bunch of folks that aren't getting anything done, and it just so happens that our president is Obama. Imagine if Bush was president during this, people would be spouting the same thing, and to say that they wouldn't, is pretty naive.

I've driven down there, and things are a mess. Not a lot is happening and thats because people can't afford to get things done.

But before you get up on your high horse, take a drive over there, before making a hat rack comment...

Government doesn't work this way. Obama isn't a dictator. He cannot execute Boehner for not getting this bill passed. He has to sit back, as a spectator, just like you and me.

Go be disappointed all you want. There is a huge list of people to blame for this bill languishing while those people suffer. Obama's name isn't even on the list, yet the only thread we have on this board being accused of not getting this done is... Obama.

Seriously? OK, I'll play along. How should Obama "push congress?"

Interesting question. If you google "Obama "I will push congress". you will find a number of quotes where he says that about an issue. Let me know how he does it on those issues and you will have your answer.

Including the very first result on that search, where Obama "pushed congress." And yet, this isn't good enough, but you have no scorn for Boehner. Partisan politics, man.

Obama Urges Action on Sandy Aid as NJ Lawmakers Blast Congress' Failure to Vote

Under intense pressure from angry Republicans, House Speaker John Boehner agreed Wednesday to a vote this week on aid for Superstorm Sandy recovery.

The speaker will schedule a vote Friday for $9 billion for the national flood insurance program and another on Jan. 15 for a remaining $51 billion in the package, Republican Rep. Peter King of New York said after emerging from a meeting with Boehner and GOP lawmakers from New York and New Jersey. The votes will be taken by the new Congress that will be sworn in Thursday.

Government doesn't work this way. Obama isn't a dictator. He cannot execute Boehner for not getting this bill passed. He has to sit back, as a spectator, just like you and me.

Gov't has to pass a bill to give those affected by the storm, aid. But if this was GWB, people would be going bonkers, lighting him up at every opportunity. So the POTUS is a spectator when Americans are in need? He's not just a figurehead, he does wield some power...

Go be disappointed all you want. There is a huge list of people to blame for this bill languishing while those people suffer. Obama's name isn't even on the list, yet the only thread we have on this board being accused of not getting this done is... Obama.

I wasn't talking about being disappointed by the gov't, but how you responded to the OP. It was a pretty douchey response...