Obama/Jersey/Sandy

It's now been over 2 months since Sandy devistated the NE.

There are people who still are without many services and comforts to get them through the winter. The government failed to put any bill forward to help them.

After Katrina, Bush was heavily criticized for all the failures of the government to help people in a timely manner.

Why isn't Obama being part of the criticism in all of this along with congress?

This kind of hyperpartisan nonsense is exactly what is wrong with this country right now, and you're doing exactly what the Republicans want you to do. Use your head. You know for a fact that Obama was there the next day to tour the damage with Governor Christie and figure out what emergency aid needed to come to the victims. They got that done, but now we're into the rebuilding phase of this disaster, and that's congress' area. They have the power to appropriate funds to help, not Obama.

Get out of the Republican echo chamber for God's sake and use your head. This has nothing to do with Obama. Listen to Republican governor Chris Christie, who actually knows how government works:

LINK

WASHINGTON – Enraged over Congress' failure to approve disaster relief for victims of Superstorm Sandy, Gov. Chris Christie of New Jersey unloaded Wednesday on House Speaker John A. Boehner and Republican lawmakers in Washington for putting "palace intrigue" ahead of their official responsibilities.

Washington politicians "will say whatever they have to say to get through the day," Christie said, adding that, as a governor, he had "actual responsibilities" -- "unlike people in Congress."

Christie, a potential 2016 GOP presidential contender, reserved his most blistering words for the Republican House speaker. He described Boehner, variously, as selfish, duplicitous and gutless for reversing course at the last minute on Tuesday night and refusing to allow a vote on a $60-billion aid package before the current Congress adjourned.

Christie said that as a result of "the speaker’s irresponsible action," there will be further delay in federal disaster aid to New Jersey, New York, Connecticut and other areas hit by the October storm. He pointed out that it had been 66 days since the storm hit and that areas struck by other hurricanes in recent years had received relief packages in far less time.

However, as outrage continued to pour in from elected officials in the affected area, Boehner agreed to hold a vote Friday to direct needed resources to the National Flood Insurance Program. And on Jan. 15, the first full legislative day of the 113th Congress, the House will consider the remaining supplemental request for the victims of Hurricane Sandy.

But that came after Christie dished out his cold outrage on members of his own party.

"Shame on you. Shame on Congress," Christie said at a news conference in Trenton, the state capital. "It's absolutely disgraceful, and I have to tell you, this used to be something that was not political. Disaster relief was something you didn't play games with." But "in this current atmosphere, [it's] a potential piece of bait for the political game. It is why the American people hate Congress."

At another point, he said of Republicans in Congress: "We've got people down there who use the citizens of this country like pawns on a chessboard."

I am sick and goddamned tired of the kind of ignorance displayed in the OP. Use your head for something other than a hat rack.

Now now, lets play fair. Both sides are playing political games here. Republicans pushing voting off, and Democrats for filling the cliff bills with crap and then adding the relief money on it. Then when people see that republicans are against the bill as a whole, they are the bad guys for not getting the relief done, yet not one Democrat or Republican for that matter, can honestly say they read the whole bill before voting on it. And Christie has to say those things as the Republican Governor of NJ, and as a person who hates politics.

• Fire 1

Wow...touchy touchy.....I simply asked a question.

I included congress in my original post because I agree they take a lot of the blame.

I distinctly remember Obama touring the area. I remember him promising things to people. I also remember stories from people claimed they never recieved the help Obama promised.

Maybe you should step away from your campaign mode and not give Obama a pass on absolutely everything and attack anyone who might just question his administration.

Now now, lets play fair. Both sides are playing political games here. Republicans pushing voting off, and Democrats for filling the cliff bills with crap and then adding the relief money on it. Then when people see that republicans are against the bill as a whole, they are the bad guys for not getting the relief done, yet not one Democrat or Republican for that matter, can honestly say they read the whole bill before voting on it. And Christie has to say those things as the Republican Governor of NJ, and as a person who hates politics.

What are you talking about? Examples, please.

Why do we always point the finger back at the Feds. Who is ultimately responsible for their cities, counties and states? The PEOPLE, not the govt. Of course maybe an adjustment in tax distribution would help.

Obama and executive orders.

why doesn't he push congress to make sure this gets done?

Seriously? OK, I'll play along. How should Obama "push congress?" Should he picket outside the doors of the chamber? Should he call Boehner? Boehner doesn't even take calls from Republican governors, why should he take a Democrat's call? You created a thread laying blame for this at Obama's feet, and when asked what he's doing wrong, you say this. Now I'm just curious how deep you'll dig this hole before you give up.

Proceed, governor.

When I questioned Bush's criticism after Katrina, all I got was "The buck stop with him because it's his administration." But, when I do the same here, you get extremely defensive.

I'm not going to answer for this straw man. I don't know who you talked to about Katrina/Bush, but it wasn't me, I have no way of verifying that this is what you were told, and frankly I couldn't care less if someone said it to you in 2005.

Regarding the "pork" in the Sandy relief bill.....

LINK

Many Republicans from outside the areas hit hard by the storm have balked at the new spending in the Sandy relief plan, which would worsen the national deficit. So the $33 billion piece will need mostly Democratic support to pass, along with a handful of Republicans. There are 14 GOP House members from New Jersey and New York expected to sign on, Israel said, but more are needed.

U.S. Rep. Chris Smith, of South Jersey, said he and other Republicans from the region were aggressively pressing their colleagues to support the full $60 billion package. He said he was “optimistic” that the full plan could pass.

“There’s no reason not to pass the bill because everything is justified,” he said, arguing that all of the spending had been thoroughly vetted.

And since I couldn't find the pork in the bill itself, I went digging through some conservo blogs to figure out where this allegation comes from. Near as I can tell, it's the "future relief funds" for the next disaster. Which is bad because, apparently, there will never be another disaster like Katrina or Sandy...?

LINK

Why do we always point the finger back at the Feds. Who is ultimately responsible for their cities, counties and states? The PEOPLE, not the govt. Of course maybe an adjustment in tax distribution would help.

Obama and executive orders.

Nobody ever wants the federal government around until they're in over their head, then they come running and cry where have you gone? If anything this last election proved that the majority of this country is too stupid to realize the fools they reelected are the problem. I'm not talking about anyone party, just the status quo.

• Fire 1

why doesn't he push congress to make sure this gets done?

Seriously? OK, I'll play along. How should Obama "push congress?" Should he picket outside the doors of the chamber? Should he call Boehner? Boehner doesn't even take calls from Republican governors, why should he take a Democrat's call? You created a thread laying blame for this at Obama's feet, and when asked what he's doing wrong, you say this. Now I'm just curious how deep you'll dig this hole before you give up.

Proceed, governor.

When I questioned Bush's criticism after Katrina, all I got was "The buck stop with him because it's his administration." But, when I do the same here, you get extremely defensive.

I'm not going to answer for this straw man. I don't know who you talked to about Katrina/Bush, but it wasn't me, I have no way of verifying that this is what you were told, and frankly I couldn't care less if someone said it to you in 2005.

Regarding the "pork" in the Sandy relief bill.....

LINK

Many Republicans from outside the areas hit hard by the storm have balked at the new spending in the Sandy relief plan, which would worsen the national deficit. So the $33 billion piece will need mostly Democratic support to pass, along with a handful of Republicans. There are 14 GOP House members from New Jersey and New York expected to sign on, Israel said, but more are needed.

U.S. Rep. Chris Smith, of South Jersey, said he and other Republicans from the region were aggressively pressing their colleagues to support the full $60 billion package. He said he was “optimistic” that the full plan could pass.

“There’s no reason not to pass the bill because everything is justified,” he said, arguing that all of the spending had been thoroughly vetted.

And since I couldn't find the pork in the bill itself, I went digging through some conservo blogs to figure out where this allegation comes from. Near as I can tell, it's the "future relief funds" for the next disaster. Which is bad because, apparently, there will never be another disaster like Katrina or Sandy...?

LINK

How hard did you look? Why dont you use your goddam head for more than a hat rack... Fisheries in Alaska, a new roof for the Smithsonian, New rail lines for Amtrack, ammo for the military, what does that have to do with Sandy?

If this spending for the future is so good put it into its own bill and pass it, dont pull a BS like this. Should we not debate and plan where this money goes? Could that be a reason we are in such financial ruin?

• Fire 1

How hard did you look? Why dont you use your goddam head for more than a hat rack... Fisheries in Alaska, a new roof for the Smithsonian, New rail lines for Amtrack, ammo for the military, what does that have to do with Sandy?

If this spending for the future is so good put it into its own bill and pass it, dont pull a BS like this. Should we not debate and plan where this money goes? Could that be a reason we are in such financial ruin?

Ah, so this is something DIFFERENT than any other bill? These appropriations have NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE? Is that what you're saying?

When you find out that these are tremendously NORMAL things to add to a bill, that nothing is new here, THEN you can come back to me and gripe. THEN.