2013 Offensive Line

I don't care who starts next year or who is on the 2 Deep. Just figure out a way to cut back on holding and false start penalties. Especially in critical moments of games. If our 2 OL coaches can figure that out, we will be in good shape. Again, we are lacking in the execution of little things that add up to big things when not corrected.

We cut way, way back on holding and false start penalties this year.

I don't want to get into an argument with you but I would like to know if you have anything to show proof of this. It seemed to me that we still had quite a bit of these penalties. We may have cut way way back but I am not sure it was enough yet.

Interesting that you ask for proof then talk about how things seemed to you.

Yes, I did go back and catalog all the penalties against NU this year. We averaged just under one false start and just under one holding/illegal block per game.

I asked for proof because I could not find anything anywhere. I looked on the NCAA website, Huskers.com and others. I have zero problem being shown the correct information. I just could'nt find it myself. Thanks for the info. I would say 28 less penalties total is quite good.

With all due respect to ARod, unless we see major improvement from him, the less we see of him the better off we'll be. He's been more a liability than an asset thus far. If he's willing to work his butt off to get better, I'm willing to give him a second chance. If he isn't, hope he keeps the bench warm.

+1, the guy is somewhat of a headcase.

I've heard a lot of good things about Sterup, any chance he snags a starting role?

I don't care who starts next year or who is on the 2 Deep. Just figure out a way to cut back on holding and false start penalties. Especially in critical moments of games. If our 2 OL coaches can figure that out, we will be in good shape. Again, we are lacking in the execution of little things that add up to big things when not corrected.

We cut way, way back on holding and false start penalties this year.

I don't want to get into an argument with you but I would like to know if you have anything to show proof of this. It seemed to me that we still had quite a bit of these penalties. We may have cut way way back but I am not sure it was enough yet.

Interesting that you ask for proof then talk about how things seemed to you.

Yes, I did go back and catalog all the penalties against NU this year. We averaged just under one false start and just under one holding/illegal block per game.

I asked for proof because I could not find anything anywhere. I looked on the NCAA website, Huskers.com and others. I have zero problem being shown the correct information. I just could'nt find it myself. Thanks for the info. I would say 28 less penalties total is quite good.

So what is your opinion after being shown that we had less than one false start and holding call per game? Not being hostile, just generally curious. Yes, some of those came at really inopportune times, and yes they can be better, but the improvement over 2011 was significant.

With all due respect to ARod, unless we see major improvement from him, the less we see of him the better off we'll be. He's been more a liability than an asset thus far. If he's willing to work his butt off to get better, I'm willing to give him a second chance. If he isn't, hope he keeps the bench warm.

I've heard a lot of good things about Sterup, any chance he snags a starting role?

Same here. Zach has really good feet and agility for someone his size. From what I've seen he's grown a ton as well. Certainly been in the weight room. I saw him a lot in high school football and basketball. He's the real deal. Real kicker is I always though he was a better basketball player than football player.

I've also heard he really gets into a lot of squirmishes with Bo. Definitely a doghouse candidate :rolleyes: .

Same here. Zach has really good feet and agility for someone his size. From what I've seen he's grown a ton as well. Certainly been in the weight room. I saw him a lot in high school football and basketball. He's the real deal. Real kicker is I always though he was a better basketball player than football player.

I've also heard he really gets into a lot of squirmishes with Bo. Definitely a doghouse candidate :rolleyes: .

I hadn't heard that about him and Bo. I also agree about the basketball thing. He and I detasseled together for quite a few years in high school. Doesn't really come off as the type of guy to get into it with the HC.

The offensive line penalties were less this year, but as a team, we had 88 penalties for 847 yards. In 2011, we had 86 penalties for 688 yards. Part of this is due to our aggressive coverage in the secondary, but it's still an outrageously high amount of penalties across the whole team. That along with turnovers is going to have to be addressed big time this off season.

The offensive line performed, overall, well this year. It could have been a hell of a lot better though, especially against tougher competition and when it mattered most in close games. With the amount of experience we have coming back and some of the talent waiting in the wings, there's no reason to not have one of if not the best lines in the Big 10 next year. Unless we see catastrophic injuries, there will be no excuse.

I hadn't heard that about him and Bo. I also agree about the basketball thing. He and I detasseled together for quite a few years in high school. Doesn't really come off as the type of guy to get into it with the HC.

Just some info down the line from people who went to high school with him. They couldnt see it either but you should know how people can change at college. I dont mind one bet someone with some attitude and swagger. Imagine what wouldve happened to that Williams fella from Georgia that was harassin Martinez if Richie Incognito was still around.

Just some info down the line from people who went to high school with him. They couldnt see it either but you should know how people can change at college. I dont mind one bet someone with some attitude and swagger. Imagine what wouldve happened to that Williams fella from Georgia that was harassin Martinez if Richie Incognito was still around.

Knock the Cotton boys if you want, but personally IMO they are the only ones that have this attitude that I think we need a little more of in the trenches.

I think the depth chart going into spring could be something like this

Qvale, Sirles, Sterup

Cotton,Reeves, Moudy

Pensick,Pelini, Thurston

Long,Nickens

Sirles,Arod, Price

This year Sirles was a swing tackle, but hopefully he doesn't do that as I would like to see us get Sterup or Price some experience.

Didn't include Whitacker or Painter due to injuries...

I think the depth chart going into spring could be something like this

Qvale, Sirles, Sterup

Cotton,Reeves, Moudy

Pensick,Pelini, Thurston

Long, Cotton, Nickens

Sirles,Arod, Price

This year Sirles was a swing tackle, but hopefully he doesn't do that as I would like to see us get Sterup or Price some experience.

Didn't include Whitacker or Painter due to injuries...

FIFY

Well, it was the coaching staff that thought it would be a brilliant idea to bring in a bunch of guards and then convert two of them into tackles. Rodriguez and Qvale have no business playing tackle. They have slow feet and get whooped regularly. They definitely would be much better on the inside.