High Character Guys

Well for one, Lawrence Phillips. I never wanted him back on the team to begin with. We obviously didnt need him. I was in fact embarrased that he played for us in the championship game. He had a great game too, but it was not needed. Green wouldve done just as well. 1997 was more like it. No one ever got in trouble. But there were also players that have had issues since playing at Nebraska.

Sure I look back at them championship seasons and am proud of them, and no, I would not be willing to go back in time and trade them in for teams that had no trouble whatsoever, but I'm making a point on now and moving forward. Many say it takes some criminals on a team to win championships. That I'm not willing to surrender to. It's not worth it. That crystal football and the years of worthless bragging rights are not worth tarnishing what is right now a pretty god damn clean record for Bo in his 5 seasons here. Pretty sure you wouldnt need a second hand to count the number of incidents we've sustained in five years. Some teams eclipse that in a month. I prefer we keep going like we are and that we win something of substance the right way.

I also know that as far as we know, it's not like Alabama's and Notre Dame's players are getting in trouble with the law all the time either. I dont want it to sound like I have that perception. I just dont have any issues with the high character guys that Bo brings into our program and try to use it as a scapegoat for only winning 9-10 football games a year.

Jon Vedral says hi.

John Vedral did not get in trouble in '97. It was '96. Try me. I say hello.

Sorry, he was suspended for the bowl game which happened on the last day in 96. my bad. And it's spelled Jon, not John. And he's still a drunk to this day by the way...

Well for one, Lawrence Phillips. I never wanted him back on the team to begin with. We obviously didnt need him. I was in fact embarrased that he played for us in the championship game. He had a great game too, but it was not needed. Green wouldve done just as well. 1997 was more like it. No one ever got in trouble. But there were also players that have had issues since playing at Nebraska.

Sure I look back at them championship seasons and am proud of them, and no, I would not be willing to go back in time and trade them in for teams that had no trouble whatsoever, but I'm making a point on now and moving forward. Many say it takes some criminals on a team to win championships. That I'm not willing to surrender to. It's not worth it. That crystal football and the years of worthless bragging rights are not worth tarnishing what is right now a pretty god damn clean record for Bo in his 5 seasons here. Pretty sure you wouldnt need a second hand to count the number of incidents we've sustained in five years. Some teams eclipse that in a month. I prefer we keep going like we are and that we win something of substance the right way.

I also know that as far as we know, it's not like Alabama's and Notre Dame's players are getting in trouble with the law all the time either. I dont want it to sound like I have that perception. I just dont have any issues with the high character guys that Bo brings into our program and try to use it as a scapegoat for only winning 9-10 football games a year.

Jon Vedral says hi.

John Vedral did not get in trouble in '97. It was '96. Try me. I say hello.

Sorry, he was suspended for the bowl game which happened on the last day in 96. my bad. And it's spelled Jon, not John. And he's still a drunk to this day by the way...

See, told you I wasnt perfect. :D

Come on!!!!!

you really believe Tom was giving out scollies to kids he needed to save from the streets. Bull Crap!!

He took what he could get that had National talent, and weighed the good with the bad. Hopefully coming out ahead. Which he did. It was not a charitable movement.

His entire life has been a charitable movement. You don't know much about the man and discredit his life's work and passion if you say otherwise. If you ever listen to him speak or ask him why he got into coaching, what his motivation was, what drove him, the answer has and always will be serving others, especially his players and students, based on a foundation in his faith in the Lord.

In 1993, Melissa DeMuth filed a police complaint saying Peter invited her to his room in the company of his friends, and then sexually assaulted her. Also in 1993, Peter repeatedly grabbed Natalie Kuijvenhoven, a former Miss Nebraska, by the crotch in a crowded bar and in an obscenity-laced tirade told her how much she loved it. Peter was convicted of sexual assault and received 18 months probation.

Peter was arrested a total of eight times, and convicted four times. The charges included threatening to kill a parking attendant, trespassing, public urination, refusing to comply with police, illegal possession of alcohol, failure to appear in court, and grabbing a woman by the throat.

He continued to play football for Nebraska. After the 1993 conviction, Nebraska coach Tom Osborne suspended Peter for one game, a spring exhibition.

According to Redmond, Osborne apologized to her in 2000, saying, "I just want you to know I'm sorry for everything, and I didn't do right by you."

http://www.boston.co...tims/?page=full

and more

"I don't tell Tom Osborne how to run the football department," Lancaster County Attorney Gary Lacey says, "and he should stay out of the criminal justice system. He hasn't done that at all." According to Lacey, Osborne has taken it upon himself to interview witnesses in criminal cases, offered very public opinions on the probable innocence of players who have yet to stand trial and attacked the credibility of witnesses testifying against his players. In January 1994 he and an assistant even locked away a gun that had allegedly been used by one of his players in the commission of a felony.

"That's Osborne using his influence to disrupt the criminal justice system," Lacey says. "Osborne talks to witnesses. Whether he tried to influence them or not...someone with his reputation would have an effect."

http://sportsillustr...07153/index.htm

Was it his faith in the Lord that made him largely ignore Peter's transgressions and suspend him for the spring game and nothing of any significance? Don't act like he's a saint. He wanted to win and had plenty of thugs on his teams. I don't believe for a second that things were squeaky clean under his watch. And frankly, which program is squeaky clean? Crap like this goes on all over and to act like we were any different is being ignorant.

You're putting words in my mouth. Never have I claimed him to be perfect or a saint - he's just as good or bad a man as any other. Saying "he wanted to win" is true, and saying he "had plenty of thugs on his teams" is also true, but there's not necessarily a direct variation here that states "he wanted to win so he had plenty of thugs on his teams".

I don't know how the article about Peter dismisses my claim. It shouldn't at all be surprising that he would want to protect his players. He was concerned with the well-being of his boys to a fault. He has admitted as much. His career and life have not been models of perfect behavior, but they have been models of consistent intentions.

Come on!!!!!

you really believe Tom was giving out scollies to kids he needed to save from the streets. Bull Crap!!

He took what he could get that had National talent, and weighed the good with the bad. Hopefully coming out ahead. Which he did. It was not a charitable movement.

His entire life has been a charitable movement. You don't know much about the man and discredit his life's work and passion if you say otherwise. If you ever listen to him speak or ask him why he got into coaching, what his motivation was, what drove him, the answer has and always will be serving others, especially his players and students, based on a foundation in his faith in the Lord.

In 1993, Melissa DeMuth filed a police complaint saying Peter invited her to his room in the company of his friends, and then sexually assaulted her. Also in 1993, Peter repeatedly grabbed Natalie Kuijvenhoven, a former Miss Nebraska, by the crotch in a crowded bar and in an obscenity-laced tirade told her how much she loved it. Peter was convicted of sexual assault and received 18 months probation.

Peter was arrested a total of eight times, and convicted four times. The charges included threatening to kill a parking attendant, trespassing, public urination, refusing to comply with police, illegal possession of alcohol, failure to appear in court, and grabbing a woman by the throat.

He continued to play football for Nebraska. After the 1993 conviction, Nebraska coach Tom Osborne suspended Peter for one game, a spring exhibition.

According to Redmond, Osborne apologized to her in 2000, saying, "I just want you to know I'm sorry for everything, and I didn't do right by you."

and more

"I don't tell Tom Osborne how to run the football department," Lancaster County Attorney Gary Lacey says, "and he should stay out of the criminal justice system. He hasn't done that at all." According to Lacey, Osborne has taken it upon himself to interview witnesses in criminal cases, offered very public opinions on the probable innocence of players who have yet to stand trial and attacked the credibility of witnesses testifying against his players. In January 1994 he and an assistant even locked away a gun that had allegedly been used by one of his players in the commission of a felony.

"That's Osborne using his influence to disrupt the criminal justice system," Lacey says. "Osborne talks to witnesses. Whether he tried to influence them or not...someone with his reputation would have an effect."

Was it his faith in the Lord that made him largely ignore Peter's transgressions and suspend him for the spring game and nothing of any significance? Don't act like he's a saint. He wanted to win and had plenty of thugs on his teams. I don't believe for a second that things were squeaky clean under his watch. And frankly, which program is squeaky clean? Crap like this goes on all over and to act like we were any different is being ignorant.

You're putting words in my mouth. Never have I claimed him to be perfect or a saint - he's just as good or bad a man as any other. Saying "he wanted to win" is true, and saying he "had plenty of thugs on his teams" is also true, but there's not necessarily a direct variation here that states "he wanted to win so he had plenty of thugs on his teams".

I don't know how the article about Peter dismisses my claim. It shouldn't at all be surprising that he would want to protect his players. He was concerned with the well-being of his boys to a fault. He has admitted as much. His career and life have not been models of perfect behavior, but they have been models of consistent intentions.

I'm not saying he purposely went out and got thugs to win, I'm saying he tried to protect players when sometimes they didn't deserve to be protected. I wasn't aware of all the crap that was going on at the time because I was 14 and we had no internet to tell us every little thing that was happening back then. If stuff like this happened today there would be no way Pelini would get away with it because times have changed and it would be national news within hours.

Come on!!!!!

and more

I'm not saying he purposely went out and got thugs to win, I'm saying he tried to protect players when sometimes they didn't deserve to be protected. I wasn't aware of all the crap that was going on at the time because I was 14 and we had no internet to tell us every little thing that was happening back then. If stuff like this happened today there would be no way Pelini would get away with it because times have changed and it would be national news within hours.

You are right 100% on this. It's the main reason Phillips was allowed to play in the Fiesta Bowl. Osborne new Phillips would be much better off if he was only suspended indefinitely until he partook in the proper counseling and court proceeding required, in order to give Phillips the goal of playing again. Osborne new that this would be much more effective for Lawrence than simply booting him of the team, out of school, serving his sentence and then winding right back up on the street. Unfortunately for Lawrence, and unfortunately for a small peice of Osborne's legacy, Lawrence was a lost puppy after Nebraska in which there was no hope for.

Come on!!!!!

and more

I don't disagree with this at all.

I actually am probably in the minority, but I didn't really have that much of a problem with how Osborne handled the LP situation. I would have preferred he didn't start in the title game but still made an appearance as it looked bad to have him out there to get us the lead(not that we needed it). But some of the other stuff to me is more bothersome, particularly the stuff with Christian. There's a guy who did enough to get booted completely off the team and didn't even miss a game. Something's fishy there to me. I like TO, and at the time maybe he was doing things for what he thought was in the best interest of the players and their futures, but sometimes guys gotta do the time if they commit the crime or they learn no lesson at all.

I'm not advocating going to the county jail and seeing who you come across and offering them a scholarship. I am advocating taking a chance on gifted athletes that may need some help becoming men and what it means to be a man. They could come from broken homes and bad neighborhoods. Maybe they just need to see what it is like to bust their buns like a walk on does. TO instilled work ethic in people that didn't know what that meant when they got here. You can guide a kid in right and wrong much easier than teaching him how to run people over and throw a ball 80 yds.

I personally know Coach Osborne, and have for many years. A great man, but he did not search the ghetos of LA for kids that needed help, he did not take them and think he could make good football players out of them to get them off the street.

He took troubled kids that had immense talent, and hoped and prayed he could make them fit in. He did a great job of it, but he was no saint. It was based on Nebraska winning and nothing more. He helped them, guided them and made some great men of some kids that most likely would never have turned out like they did.

He did not recruit LP to save him from the LA streets. He was a fantastic running back, possibly the best ever. It did not work out like Tom had hoped, and it did hurt him. He mentions it often, and there is love that goes out for these kids, after they got here.

I personally know Coach Osborne, and have for many years. A great man, but he did not search the ghetos of LA for kids that needed help, he did not take them and think he could make good football players out of them to get them off the street.

He took troubled kids that had immense talent, and hoped and prayed he could make them fit in. He did a great job of it, but he was no saint. It was based on Nebraska winning and nothing more. He helped them, guided them and made some great men of some kids that most likely would never have turned out like they did.

He did not recruit LP to save him from the LA streets. He was a fantastic running back, possibly the best ever. It did not work out like Tom had hoped, and it did hurt him. He mentions it often, and there is love that goes out for these kids, after they got here.

That's what I am trying to say. Focus more on the talent. An 18 yr old can be shown how to be mature etc but can't be taught natural talent and ability.

There's more to life than football. It's great to see Nebraska guys get drafted and get a chance to play in the NFL but it's also nice to know that even if football doesn't work out they will be productive members of society. I wish the NFL and NCAA would come together and say you must graduate before declaring for the draft. I prefer seeing guys like Rex do good for the community instead of someone like Tommie Frazier that would expect money for an autograph.