B1G revenue sharing.......?

Comish

A guy who sits near me in the Devaney (whom I only know peripherally as we talk Husker sports) told me this afternoon at the basketball game that Delany/B1G coveted Maryland so much that they are coming into the league with full revenue splits immediately. (whereas you recall we have to incrementally "earn" our way up to full distribution). IF true (and I have not heard anything like that anywhere else) it would be a gross miscarraige of the so-called "this league takes care of all members equally" mantra we've heard so much about.

Supposedly the rationale is that Maryland is in so much trouble financially that the league is helping them out. Again, IF TRUE, it would seem that the league needs to retroactively reimburse DONU as the equalizer.

Not intending to start a rumor. Just wondering if any other posters had heard anything concerning this?

As I understand it, the long term average payouts are the same across the different expansion teams (Nebraska, Maryland, Rutgers) but Maryland's is frontloaded so that they get the majority of the current payouts immediately.

However - their payouts will escalate at a slower rate compared to the other teams so I don't think really this is really that much of a sore point between the different teams.

• Fire 1

If this is the case, it has me a little confused. What the hell is so appealing about Maryland that Delaney coveted their membership?...

3 Things.

1. Large, Public Research Institution on the East coast.

2. Washington DC/ Baltimore market which is 9th in the entire country

3. Gateway to the South to pickup some other schools after destabilizing the ACC

3. Gateway to the South to pickup some other schools after destabilizing the ACC

Reminds me of the "All in the Family" episode "Blockbuster"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0509924/

Archie is excited when a real estate agent wants to buy his house for a huge profit. He figures it is a good deal . . . . . When the agent comes by the house, he offers Archie $35,000 and Mike alerts him that the man is a Blockbuster, a scam artist who exploits the owners' fears of lower prices if .....

As I understand it, the long term average payouts are the same across the different expansion teams (Nebraska, Maryland, Rutgers) but Maryland's is frontloaded so that they get the majority of the current payouts immediately.

However - their payouts will escalate at a slower rate compared to the other teams so I don't think really this is really that much of a sore point between the different teams.

True to an extent. Thet will receive more now and less later to help them out immediately. They will get the same piece of the pie over time...

This is my understanding as well.

Different paths to get there, but the end destination is the same.

If this is the case, it has me a little confused. What the hell is so appealing about Maryland that Delaney coveted their membership?...

3 Things.

While that sounds great when you say it, Maryland adds no prestige to B1G athletics. It was a money move, and that's why I don't like it. Maryland as a University has nothing to offer athletically to the conference.

This would be bs. no league should be helping a new school come into the league.

why not? Aren't we vested in their success?

so now we just get any school that we are interested in even when they are financially strapped? I disagree about Maryland being coveted cause the ACC didn't care about letting them go just care about the $50 mil.

3 Things.

While that sounds great when you say it, Maryland adds no prestige to B1G athletics. It was a money move, and that's why I don't like it. Maryland as a University has nothing to offer athletically to the conference.

pretty good in basketball usually.

One theory I have is that if Delany is looking ahead to the near future when the 4 conferences do break off from the NCAA - that will mean Basketball schools within this structure will be worth a lot more because they will be able to monetize the national tournament.

If he feels that that the B1G has enough "Kings" in football, it makes sense to shore up additional basketball schools for that inevitability.