All time top NU QBs

I would love to see what Martinez numbers might be if the Defense was a bit better, and if we were still lineman U. (I still have a Dave Remington autograph from when he came to my elementary school). He would have more wins and he may even have fewer turnovers as he would be trying to force things. Of course that said you can see it when he starts to lose his composure, it seems to start with some type of erratic pass or pitch when trying to force a play and next thing you know the interception or fumble follows. I did not look back at the numbers so please correct me (as I deserve) but did his fumble issue improve a bit as the season went on.

I completely agree. Martinez is faster than Tommie Frazier ever was and, if my memory serves me correct, is a statistically better thrower.

Frazier had a 48% completion percentage in 1995. Can you imagine the uproar if Taylor threw for that low of a percentage?

It wasn't that big of the issue - we didn't pass that much then. It was just as likely to get a 60 yard run as a 60 yard pass completion.

Taylor doesn't play defense, so why would his numbers be different if the defense is better. The team win loss record may be better, but taylors numbers would stay the same.

I would love to see what Martinez numbers might be if the Defense was a bit better, and if we were still lineman U. (I still have a Dave Remington autograph from when he came to my elementary school). He would have more wins and he may even have fewer turnovers as he would be trying to force things. Of course that said you can see it when he starts to lose his composure, it seems to start with some type of erratic pass or pitch when trying to force a play and next thing you know the interception or fumble follows. I did not look back at the numbers so please correct me (as I deserve) but did his fumble issue improve a bit as the season went on.

I completely agree. Martinez is faster than Tommie Frazier ever was and, if my memory serves me correct, is a statistically better thrower.

Frazier had a 48% completion percentage in 1995. Can you imagine the uproar if Taylor threw for that low of a percentage?

It wasn't that big of the issue - we didn't pass that much then. It was just as likely to get a 60 yard run as a 60 yard pass completion.

Taylor doesn't play defense, so why would his numbers be different if the defense is better. The team win loss record may be better, but taylors numbers would stay the same.

This guy ^

Well considering he won the Heisman this year and the records he broke, I have nothing but the most respect for that kid. He's the real deal. You're opinion doesn't matter.

no more than yours does.

That may be, but at least I don't make ridiculous accusations.

What accusation did I make that you found ridiculous?

Remember we're all Husker fans,, and I didn't mean to ruffle your feathers>

Well considering he won the Heisman this year and the records he broke, I have nothing but the most respect for that kid. He's the real deal. You're opinion doesn't matter.

no more than yours does.

That may be, but at least I don't make ridiculous accusations.

What accusation did I make that you found ridiculous?

Remember we're all Husker fans,, and I didn't mean to ruffle your feathers>

All of them.

Tommy Armstrong will not start a game for any reason other than injury to Taylor Martinez. I can see Tommy getting what many on here define as "significant snaps", but he will not overtake Martinez for the starting spot.

I agree. Pelini's man crush has not and will not waver. I'm already looking forward to 2014. I can't wait for it in fact. It couldn't come soon enough.

You take things to seriously if someone else's opinion make you ill. I would like to now what accusation you are referring to, you said all of it. I didn't make an accusation to my knowledge about anyone or anything. I simply voiced my opinion which you took exception to. I haven't taken anything away from Taylor, The topic of this board was NU great qb's. I don't consider Taylor in the category. He hasn't done anything of greatness to deserve to be there. He's won the qb battle without any competition. Next yr I think (my opinion) you'll see Tommy take the reins before the season ends. That's not dissing taylor, just saying I believe Tommy is a much better qb. Not necessarily a better athlete. If it make you sick that some fans aren't on the Taylor band wagon, that's a shame, not many players have all the fans in their corner. I'm thankful for Taylor's contributions the past 3 yrs, I can't imagine where the Husker mind set would be without having had him. At the same time, he's not one of the great NU qb's. One of the best pure athletes. Absolutely. Let's just throw this out there, I haven't suited up in over 44 yrs. I played with Johnny Rodgers at Omaha Tech. I've attended more games before you were born than you have yrs on this earth. I have a little history related to the game that helps me form my own opinions. They are just my opinions, but most of my associates like to hear what I have to say, even if they don't agree with me. I like hearing what you have to say. It's what makes these boards interesting. But to accuse someone of making ridiculous accusations and then not stating what those accusations are, is just a little weak. Have a great night Nebraska Harry, I mean that sincerely. GBR

Amen 1HuskrFan

I wish Taylor the very best, hope he has a great season and great life beyond football

But to put him in the all time greats, means you havent seen many NU QBs play

I cant compare the guys in the 50s-60s but I went to pretty much every home game and a few away games 1970-present

Hard to make comparisons based on limited data- those that didnt extensively watch the other guys play

No chance he's in the top 5, I wish he was- GBR

Nobody has to put a number in front of Martinez to consider him as one of the greatest QB's at NU. But yet everyone wants to talk about number 1, 2, top 5, top 10. Doesn't matter, because Taylor has won football games for us, he's broken records, and he's played well as a QB at NU. I mean was Tommie ever a QB? Heck he didn't put up near the passing numbers Martinez already has and with a year left for him to boot. Tommie was a runner first, so why can't we consider him an athlete playing QB? Well you know what? It doesn't matter, because Tommie was our QB and soo is Martinez. And I'll be damned if I'm going to sit by and watch people try and make out that he isn't a QB or he isn't that good. Because you'd be flat out wrong. When it's all said and done, Martinez will be one of the greatest QB's at NU and he's been a key asset in our climb out of that God Awful Callahan era.

Frazier was a playmaker.

And Martinez isn't? Not sure I'm following you.

Frazier made big plays, Martinez has made big plays. The difference between the two is Frazier had a top 5 offensive line, a top ten ranked defense, and a great coaching staff. Martinez has none of those.

There are plenty of reasons why we shouldn't compare the two eras, but there are also plenty of reasons we should. All I'm saying is this - Martinez will go down as a statistically significant Nebraska quarterback, one of the best. But he won't be remembered near the same way Frazier was, and that has way more to do with the supporting cast Frazier had in comparison. Give Martinez Frazier's tools and Martinez is a championship winning quarterback imho.

I've gotta put Brook Berringer in that top ten list. He was the best NFL style passing QB I have ever witnessed that played for the Huskers. Awesome performance against CU in 94.

I love Brook, but you're young. How about Vince Ferragamo, David Humm, Jerry Tagge, Van Bronson, Bob Churchich, just to name a few, all were Pro Style passing qb's pre 1980's, all were pretty good, Brook didn't get the opportunities the others named above did, He may have been better than any of them, but we'll never be able to debate that. Brook didn't play all that much. He was a great team mate and a pretty good player, but to put him in the top ten is a bit of a stretch. Taylor is certainly in the top ten, just not as high in my opinion as some on this board have him.

Martinez is 7B

Uh, what?

Uh, he is comparable to Humm

In what way he is comparable to Dave Humm?

That would be my question as well. Even though David didn't get a chance in the NFL (played 9 yrs behind Kenny Stabler Oakland Raiders). Those were the days before free agency. When you were drafted, that's the team you were on unless you were traded. A great passing qb. in Osborne's offense before he went to the option attack.