Just what are we going to need to do to bring the title back the corn state?

The LAST thing we should do at this point, barring catastrophe, is to find a new coach. That would only set us back another 5 years minimum.

Well, that's not necessarily true.

Who would come here if we did that? When our team loses, every year, the first solution people write on this board is 'get a new coach' so who would come?

I'm no fortune teller.

We need to learn to play mistake free football, seeing McCarron and Jones getting into an argument on the field late in the game when they had in well in hand shows you how important being perfect is to that team. It needs to become important to this team, ND couldn't control their emotions and it bit them in the arse early in the game with penalties for personal fouls, off-sides, etc................sound like anyone you know? It needs to stop and I would agree that we need better position coaches in some areas.

1. Better recruiting . We have had decent classes but haven't landed many blue chip guys like Alabama regularly does. Sure they can bench a 5 star guy who's not giving his all, because they have another one 5 star guy to fill his spot. I think we have a good team , I just think a star player or two, especially on D, would put us over the edge. It's not all about talent, but it sure never hurts to have it.

2. Clean up mistakes on both sides of the ball.

3. Better coaching . Drill fundamentals ,make in game ajustments (especially on D)

I think championship teams first have to have the talent, second be well coached and self disciplined, and third catch some breaks along the way. The first two of those variables can be controlled ,the last really can't.

What is a fully matured coaching staff? Let me guess. A bunch of flavor of the week coaches that supposedly never make mistakes or get out coached. Hate to break it to you but even the mighty Nick Saban get out coached some days. I.e. Texas A&M.

EXACTLY!!!! There are NO perfect coaches like so many people on this board believe.

Not saying there are, what I'm saying is that we have some guys that are rather new. I think even with great talent right now this coaching staff might not be able to play for and win a NC. That being said I love our staff and I want to give them time to develop.

I am tiring of these endless need a better coach threads. No coaching staff is perfect. We will never see the consistency and low turnover rate of a staff again like we saw through the 70's 80's & 90's. However, one of the primary factors in our 90's run was that consistency and familiarity. With the possible exception of a very limited number of position coaches, our current staff is fine, has improved, and will continue to improve. Those currently advocating for wholesale changes are no better than Pederson in my book. Anything better than ten win seasons requires a whole bunch of factors coming together and then a bit of luck thrown in for good measure. I'm not saying we've arrived or that we don't need to improve (we do)fine but please show some patience and give them time to tweak the missing components. Saban is no magician and neither is Meyer or any other contemporary hot shot coach. Bo knows football. Give it a rest already.

• Fire 4

I honestly think our skill position players on offense are good enough, with the exception of the turnovers.

On the offensive line, I think we probably need to be 10-20% better than we were this year, and our backups need to be as good as our starting five was this year. And we need to eliminate penalties.

On the defense... Our 2-deep needs to be so good that everyone who started this year (with the exception of Ciante Evans, Eric Martin, and Baker Steinkuhler) would be third string. Ciante would be a good nickelback or dimeback, instead of our best corner, and Eric Martin would be a situational player, instead of our best defensive end and the only guy who could get pressure on the QB. Baker would probably be second string.

That's how far away I think we are on defense.

What is a fully matured coaching staff? Let me guess. A bunch of flavor of the week coaches that supposedly never make mistakes or get out coached. Hate to break it to you but even the mighty Nick Saban get out coached some days. I.e. Texas A&M.

EXACTLY!!!! There are NO perfect coaches like so many people on this board believe.

Not saying there are, what I'm saying is that we have some guys that are rather new. I think even with great talent right now this coaching staff might not be able to play for and win a NC. That being said I love our staff and I want to give them time to develop.

There are very few coaches in the nation that would play for and/or win a NC with elite talent. Hell, look at Oregon. Elite talent and speed all over the field, and how many national titles do they have to show for it? Stanford? South Carolina? Georgia?

It's not easy to win, period. Especially with the parity that exists in CFB today. I'm still a part of the group that thinks that Bo can get it done. He's got 2 or 3 years barring a losing season or off-the-field issues before I personally start declaring the need for a new coach. Some have already reached that point though, which is understandable.

I am tiring of these endless need a better coach threads. No coaching staff is perfect. We will never see the consistency and low turnover rate of a staff again like we saw through the 70's 80's & 90's. However, one of the primary factors in our 90's run was that consistency and familiarity. With the possible exception of a very limited number of position coaches, our current staff is fine, has improved, and will continue to improve. Those currently advocating for wholesale changes are no better than Pederson in my book. Anything better than ten win seasons requires a whole bunch of factors coming together and then a bit of luck thrown in for good measure. I'm not saying we've arrived or that we don't need to improve (we do)fine but please show some patience and give them time to tweak the missing components. Saban is no magician and neither is Meyer or any other contemporary hot shot coach. Bo knows football. Give it a rest already.

But we're entitled to better :sarcasm But you are right just look at '97 with the catch down in Mizzou, it takes more than coaching and more talent than the other teams. My opinion is consistancy will lead to championships. It took Solich over five years to finally win a bowl game at Ohio and hasn't even won a MAC Championship yet. But what he has done is made a foundation where he's bringing in better recruits and winning 8-9 games every year. Now before everybody jumps down my throat I'm not comparing Ohio's football program to Nebraska's but what I am saying is sometimes success comes gradually instead of all at once.

• Fire 1

The LAST thing we should do at this point, barring catastrophe, is to find a new coach. That would only set us back another 5 years minimum.

Well, that's not necessarily true.

Who would come here if we did that? When our team loses, every year, the first solution people write on this board is 'get a new coach' so who would come?

I'm no fortune teller.

But you said 'that's not necessarily true'. Did you have someone in mind? (I don't mean to put you on the spot. :) ) I was just curious because this comes up frequently on the board.

But you said 'that's not necessarily true'. Did you have someone in mind? (I don't mean to put you on the spot. :) ) I was just curious because this comes up frequently on the board.

The Dude has made it no secret that he has lost total faith in Bo as a coach, so that's what he's saying.