Top 2014 targets in the roughly 400 mile radius (updated 2/25/2013)

I was looking at the OL offers for 2014 along with this thread. It looks like we have around 9 offers for OL out for 2014. along 2-3 of these kids are already committed to schools. Several are on this list compiled but are only on our OL"radar".

Truly puzzled that we don't have more offers. If we are gonna lock down 5 quality OL we have to be on the front end of offering and building those initial relationships. I'd like to be near 15 offers already on the OL.Offers

The numbers at present seem like we might land one 4* kind of guy. Hope the staff excels in this needed area very soon.

I was looking at the OL offers for 2014 along with this thread. It looks like we have around 9 offers for OL out for 2014. along 2-3 of these kids are already committed to schools. Several are on this list compiled but are only on our OL"radar".

Truly puzzled that we don't have more offers. If we are gonna lock down 5 quality OL we have to be on the front end of offering and building those initial relationships. I'd like to be near 15 offers already on the OL.Offers

The numbers at present seem like we might land one 4* kind of guy. Hope the staff excels in this needed area very soon.

There will be many offers that will be going out over the next few months. Feb to April is evaluation period for the 2014 class, Junior Days are held, and much more. Many offers are made at Junior Days for those that don't already have offers. By the time March comes around I would suspect around 20 or so offers out to OL guys.

There's some pretty good coaching down here as well. Not Texas style - but Gardner gave Marvin Diener well over 100k/year and gave his wife a job to get him out of Salina. He immediately put together one hell of a pee-wee league and it's finally starting to pay off as those kids are just now reaching HS. It starts in 5th grade, and he knew that.

Diener was my high school coach in salina.

I hope the coaches feel the same way but I believe this list is extremely important to next year's recruiting class. It is well known that probably the biggest issue with recruiting to Nebraska is location. If players can go to a good program within driving distance, it is much harder to lure them to come to Nebraska if it's over 1,000 miles away.

This list doesn't have that issue. This list also contains some players that are in big need on our team.

I believe the staff needs to build the core of next year's recruiting class from within 400-500 miles. It appears the talent is there.

I hope the coaches feel the same way but I believe this list is extremely important to next year's recruiting class. It is well known that probably the biggest issue with recruiting to Nebraska is location. If players can go to a good program within driving distance, it is much harder to lure them to come to Nebraska if it's over 1,000 miles away.

This list doesn't have that issue. This list also contains some players that are in big need on our team.

I believe the staff needs to build the core of next year's recruiting class from within 400-500 miles. It appears the talent is there.

I agree, but unfortunately half that list is comprised of Kansas/Missouri kids. Nebraska is an afterthought down here these days. I used to go into a bar in a Husker shirt and end up talking football w/ half the bar. Now, no one really cares. We don't play any of the teams down here - don't impact their season, etc. They're talking Texas/KState/Kansas, etc. These kids aren't hearing much about Nebraska anymore. It's going to make it more difficult for us to feed off Missouri like we used to, maybe not next year - but in the future.

Do you think that is different in the areas like California and Florida that we are trying to pull these kids out of?

The fact is, let's put everyone on the same level. Let's say nowhere is Nebraska a big deal to the people in the area. It should still be much easier to pull these kids out of Kansas and Missouri than out of California and Florida. We have some very good recruiters on this staff. They need to be on these kids early.