Top 2014 targets in the roughly 400 mile radius (updated 2/25/2013)

Do you think that is different in the areas like California and Florida that we are trying to pull these kids out of?

The fact is, let's put everyone on the same level. Let's say nowhere is Nebraska a big deal to the people in the area. It should still be much easier to pull these kids out of Kansas and Missouri than out of California and Florida. We have some very good recruiters on this staff. They need to be on these kids early.

true, but there are only 5 kids worth recruiting in Missouri. We used to be able to easily grab 2-3 of them or over 50%. There are over 200 kids in California however. We'll likely get 2-3, or less than 1% even though we target dozens. We'll still get Missouri kids, and Kansas kids - but we used to be the top school in the area for those kids. Now we're slowing becoming less and less a part of the discussion. It's going to get more difficult. We all thought we'd keep plucking 7-10 kids a year out of Texas...now it looks like in a few years there won't even be 7-10 on the entire roster.

The McWillson and Walker situations are exactly why our coaches need to jump all over these kids that are within a relatively short driving distance to Lincoln. We need to OWN that area.

Nobody (especially me) is saying we need to stop recruiting nationally. That is an extremely important part of our team. However, if there is good talent close to home, we need to have them in Lincoln.

• 2 weeks later...

As a really, really, early prediction, I say we land three players that are currently listed. There is a WR and defensive back that we are targeting that are not yet rated and I could easily see those two being four star guys. In total, I could see us getting four to five in the roughly 400 mile radius. When you add in IL we could land another player.

Do you think that is different in the areas like California and Florida that we are trying to pull these kids out of?

The fact is, let's put everyone on the same level. Let's say nowhere is Nebraska a big deal to the people in the area. It should still be much easier to pull these kids out of Kansas and Missouri than out of California and Florida. We have some very good recruiters on this staff. They need to be on these kids early.

true, but there are only 5 kids worth recruiting in Missouri. We used to be able to easily grab 2-3 of them or over 50%. There are over 200 kids in California however. We'll likely get 2-3, or less than 1% even though we target dozens. We'll still get Missouri kids, and Kansas kids - but we used to be the top school in the area for those kids. Now we're slowing becoming less and less a part of the discussion. It's going to get more difficult. We all thought we'd keep plucking 7-10 kids a year out of Texas...now it looks like in a few years there won't even be 7-10 on the entire roster.

I have to agree with Kc Chris, it seems to me that alot of the people down here are still bitter that Nebraska left the Big 12 and feel like they have been betrayed and that Nebraska was just running away from the likes of Texas. That attitude is going to make it harder to recruit kids from this area.

The RB from Minnesota will be hard to flip. I ahve heard that he is Gopher bound for sure.

Yep, that is what I have read. I will keep an eye on any new news with him to see if he ends up taking some visits and later on in the process of he takes official visits. Wouldn't shock me if he left for a "helmet" school, but if he sticks with MN he could get playing time as a true freshman.

The RB from Minnesota will be hard to flip. I ahve heard that he is Gopher bound for sure.

Yep, that is what I have read. I will keep an eye on any new news with him to see if he ends up taking some visits and later on in the process of he takes official visits. Wouldn't shock me if he left for a "helmet" school, but if he sticks with MN he could get playing time as a true freshman.

I think that is going to be the "new way" at Nebraska with running backs. Play them early and often. As long as hey have the ability to do so, of course.

I notice we have forgotten Illinois in this discussion ,Rivals has 9 four stars on their 250 list and we are not that far most cases under the 500 mile range. The good thing is most go out of state to play football.

I don't have the Chicago area on the list as that is a large metro area that is at the roughly 515 mile mark and there are always a ton of national recruits every year. The focus on this thread is more of the surrounding states that are within roughly 400 some miles...Missouri, Colorado, Kansas, etc.

I notice we have forgotten Illinois in this discussion ,Rivals has 9 four stars on their 250 list and we are not that far most cases under the 500 mile range. The good thing is most go out of state to play football.

I don't have the Chicago area on the list as that is a large metro area that is at the roughly 515 mile mark and there are always a ton of national recruits every year. The focus on this thread is more of the surrounding states that are within roughly 400 some miles...Missouri, Colorado, Kansas, etc.

I know the upper half of the state is be on the 500 miles but the lower end like Lincoln is in side the 450 zone and for those recruits and family that mileage is not bad for game day travel.

I'm not knocking the post, it's a good read, just commenting to it.

I know the upper half of the state is be on the 500 miles but the lower end like Lincoln is in side the 450 zone and for those recruits and family that mileage is not bad for game day travel.

I'm knocking the post, it's a good read, just commenting to it.

You are fine. When I made this thread I thought about adding IL, but at the end of the day I decided to keep that state off.