Recruiting Factors

This topic came up in another thread and I'd like the opinions of people that follow recruiting closely. What are the factors that determine which school a recruit chooses? For recruits that we are successful in recruiting what are some of the reasons they gave for choosing DONU? For recruits that we missed on what are the reasons if any that they gave for choosing another school? C N Red put together a list of factors that seems like a good basis for discussion:

1. Distance

2. Early pt

3. Location

4. Tradition

5. Coaching

6. Wins/losses last 3-4 years

7. Academics

This topic came up in another thread and I'd like the opinions of people that follow recruiting closely. What are the factors that determine which school a recruit chooses? For recruits that we are successful in recruiting what are some of the reasons they gave for choosing DONU? For recruits that we missed on what are the reasons if any that they gave for choosing another school? C N Red put together a list of factors that seems like a good basis for discussion:

1. Distance

2. Early pt

3. Location

4. Tradition

5. Coaching

6. Wins/losses last 3-4 years

7. Academics

Relationship and comfort level with the coaching staff seems to be a factor that is brought up by the recruits almost every time, I would think that is a top 3 factor in every case.

Relationship and comfort level with the coaching staff seems to be a factor that is brought up by the recruits almost every time, I would think that is a top 3 factor in every case.

It would make sense that coaching should rank higher because they are the ones sitting down with the recruits and representing the school. I'm wondering if there should be two lists. One for players that anticipate/want to play in NFL and another list for players that will not. Coaches with NFL experience seem to help schools attract the elite recruits.

Another factor I just thought about is how well a player fits into a team's offense or defensive scheme. Not sure where that ranks.

I think it's a combination of these:

1) Good program. Doesn't necessarily mean winning at the moment.

2) Faith in the coach

3) Location

4) Program plays for meaningful championships

5) Unfortunately, some recruits go for "which program is paying....er....taking care of me the most".

6) Girlfriend

RE 5). After watching the 30 for 30 on Marcus Dupree I was wondering how widespread pay for play is. From that program it sounded like Dupree's services were for sale according to a few of the people close to Dupree. And then his mother got a double wide to keep him happy after he started playing. Maybe I'm naive but I thought that NCAA sanctions were a sufficient deterrent from this happening.

I think it's a combination of these:

1) Good program. Doesn't necessarily mean winning at the moment.

2) Faith in the coach

3) Location

4) Program plays for meaningful championships

5) Unfortunately, some recruits go for "which program is paying....er....taking care of me the most".

6) Girlfriend

RE 5). After watching the 30 for 30 on Marcus Dupree I was wondering how widespread pay for play is. From that program it sounded like Dupree's services were for sale according to a few of the people close to Dupree. And then his mother got a double wide to keep him happy after he started playing. Maybe I'm naive but I thought that NCAA sanctions were a sufficient deterrent from this happening.

The only sanction that really slowed done pay-for-play was the SMU death penalty. I think it's going to take something like that again to reign things in for a while. Until the punishment is worse than the crime and the odds of actually getting caught are high enough, rampant cheating will continue. I'd think many coaches and administrators who saw what happened with Cam Newton would make the decision to cheat. The chances of getting caught are low and the punishment if caught is usually less than the benefits of something like a national title or even just a really good run.

• Fire 1