2013 PGA Tour Discussion Thread

tschu

My point is that even in his A game, not every shot will be perfect. He still misses a ton of shots, even when playing at his best. Go back and watch his 2000 season, he didn't stripe every drive and stick every approach. Hell, he had a triple bogey at the US Open at Pebble that he won by 15 strokes. To nitpick over 5 approaches that you perceive as bad (only 2 of them were remotely bad) is silly, it's like complaining that he didn't make every 15-foot putt, or complaining that Kobe went 3-for-4 from downtown instead of 4-for-4. Golf is a game with a huge amount of variance. (I think we're mostly in agreement; I'm just nitpicking because trying to find imperfection in an imperfect game seems silly to me). A common thing people think about old Tiger is that his tee-to-green game was out of this world. It was good, but where he really won all those tournaments was on the putting green.

With that said, statistics seem to indicate we have the old Tiger back. Now I hate most golf statistics, especially early in the year when most players only have a few data points, and those data points are highly inconsistent due to both the nature of the game and the fact that everyone plays different tournaments.

But Tiger is

1 in strokes gained putting (by a large margin)

2 in distance to pin on approaches over 100 yards

21 in scrambling

51 in total driving

those are just classic Tiger stats, haha

Ok, I'm a casual golf fan, but this Tiger thing is getting out of control...

Late Sunday afternoon, back nine of The Players Championship, and Tiger Woods was rolling. Up two strokes on the field with five holes to play, Woods had the game and the demeanor of a man in total control.

And then came the 14th hole, and just like that, another Tiger Woods drop controversy. Unlike a similar event a few weeks back at Augusta, however, this one was squashed within moments ... even though the evidence suggests it shouldn't have been.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/golf-devil-ball-golf/did-tiger-woods-improper-drop-en-route-players-124525467.html

I'm neither a Tiger fan or a Tiger hater, but now this has happened twice, but this opens up a couple questions to me. I've never been to a golf event, but aren't there officials on the course? Couldn't he grab one and ask for a ruling? That would eliminate a ton of BS.

Under the Rules of Golf, it is up to the player and his partner to determine where the ball last crossed.

"Without definitive evidence, the point where Woods' ball last crossed the lateral water hazard is determined through best judgment by Woods and his fellow competitor. If that point later proves to be a wrong point (through television or other means), the player is not penalized by Rule 26-1 given the fact that a competitor would risk incurring a penalty every time he makes an honest judgment as to the point where his ball last crosses a water-hazard margin and that judgment subsequently proves incorrect (Decision 26-1/17)."

Tiger turned away and probably didn't see where it crossed. I'm sure Joey LaCava had eyes on it, and his playing partner, Casey Wittenberg, definitely saw it:

"I saw it perfectly off the tee. I told him exactly where I thought it crossed, and we all agreed, so he's definitely great on that. There is no doubt, guys. The ball crossed where he dropped."

A Rules Official wouldn't have helped the situation. The "overhead" camera was from a very deceiving angle. The best angle is the one the player and his partner has.

With where the ball landed and hitting a high hook, this might be a more realistic view of what it looked like:

TigerSawgrassDropHole_zps86ab4e40.jpg

There was nothing wrong or controversial about his drop, all of the fake controversy stems from a dumb Johnny Miller comment

WHAT?? How dare you impugn the incomparable Johnny Miller?? He is the greatest golfer ever and God's gift to golf broadcasting. Just ask him. He'll tell you.

There was nothing wrong or controversial about his drop, all of the fake controversy stems from a dumb Johnny Miller comment

WHAT?? How dare you impugn the incomparable Johnny Miller?? He is the greatest golfer ever and God's gift to golf broadcasting. Just ask him. He'll tell you.

TRAP DRAW!

Under the Rules of Golf, it is up to the player and his partner to determine where the ball last crossed.

"Without definitive evidence, the point where Woods' ball last crossed the lateral water hazard is determined through best judgment by Woods and his fellow competitor. If that point later proves to be a wrong point (through television or other means), the player is not penalized by Rule 26-1 given the fact that a competitor would risk incurring a penalty every time he makes an honest judgment as to the point where his ball last crosses a water-hazard margin and that judgment subsequently proves incorrect (Decision 26-1/17)."

Tiger turned away and probably didn't see where it crossed. I'm sure Joey LaCava had eyes on it, and his playing partner, Casey Wittenberg, definitely saw it:

"I saw it perfectly off the tee. I told him exactly where I thought it crossed, and we all agreed, so he's definitely great on that. There is no doubt, guys. The ball crossed where he dropped."

A Rules Official wouldn't have helped the situation. The "overhead" camera was from a very deceiving angle. The best angle is the one the player and his partner has.

With where the ball landed and hitting a high hook, this might be a more realistic view of what it looked like:

TigerSawgrassDropHole_zps86ab4e40.jpg

Only reason that if he asks a rules official, then at least he's covering his own ass...

I don't think people should be allowed to phone in these rulings infractions.

I completely agree. However, this one wasn't "phoned in." Johnny Miller saw the video and questioned the drop directly after it happend. It all escalated from there. He had an awful view from the "overhead" camera.

Calling in rule violations like Tiger at Augusta and Camilo a few years ago is bogus.

I completely agree. However, this one wasn't "phoned in." Johnny Miller saw the video and questioned the drop directly after it happend. It all escalated from there. He had an awful view from the "overhead" camera.

Calling in rule violations like Tiger at Augusta and Camilo a few years ago is bogus.

TRAP DRAW! I really dislike Johnny Miller...it's awful that NBC has the US Open

Nick the "Prick" Faldo or Johnny "bananas" Miller? Pick your douche carefully!

Nick the "Prick" Faldo or Johnny "bananas" Miller? Pick your douche carefully!

I actually don't mind Faldo. Miller is pretty knowledgeable but is unbearably annoying to listen to because he's so full of himself.

Johnny has gotten a ton better. I used to hate him but now I find him pretty enjoyable; he can at least properly articulate words and sentences and complete a coherent thought. I will agree that he had a pretty poor performance during The Players, however

Nick Faldo...his hatred of Tiger is hitting its max level these days. In addition, he never stops complaining about random things, and more annoyingly, never, EVER stops talking or making weird sounds on-air. Suffocates the broadcast constantly. "Ahhhhhhhhh ohhhh no yah cahhhnt hit eet ova there n thats...ahhh...no yah cahhnt hit it over on that short right side buhcuz ehts soooo tricky comin off thaa downslope and ahhhh, oh boy...ehts impossible from ova there" rinse, repeat. Every shot is always the worst shot ever because, no, dumbass pro golfer, you can't hit it in the bunker because you're better off committing suicide. And stop slurring your words and making dumb noises. He needs some on-air personality speech lessons.