Combine Invites

GM_Tood

I'm going to go against the grain and say that I am actually surprised that Steinkuhler didn't get invited.

It's a HUGE surprise that Steinkuhler didn't get an invite. Some fans got down on him because he didn't have the gaudy stats that Suh had. But he did what he was assigned to do: he clogged up the middle. Look at what happened to our run defense when he was out with injury. Remember the B1G CCG? The wheels fell off the wagon without him.

/I wonder if Baker still isn't fully recovered? Maybe that's why he isn't going to the combine.

I'm not sure about Steins injury recovery, this may be somewhat of a factor. Personally, I think he got shoved around a lot. I like the kid, he just really didn't have a very good career. His motor is questionable. Maybe I am way off base though. I don't know for sure, but I think Bo's scheme can be really tough for defensive lineman to really put up GAUDY numbers as you say. So maybe some of these guys are better than some might think? I hate when people compare other DL's careers to Ndamukong Suh's career though. Those are expectations nobody is going to meet. If people were expecting Steinkuhler to be like Suh, well then the bar was already set WAY too high from the get go. Now, would guys like Crick and Steinkuhler, maybe even Eric Martin have been better in McBrides scheme? Yep, probably.

I'm going to go against the grain and say that I am actually surprised that Steinkuhler didn't get invited.

It's a HUGE surprise that Steinkuhler didn't get an invite. Some fans got down on him because he didn't have the gaudy stats that Suh had. But he did what he was assigned to do: he clogged up the middle. Look at what happened to our run defense when he was out with injury. Remember the B1G CCG? The wheels fell off the wagon without him.

/I wonder if Baker still isn't fully recovered? Maybe that's why he isn't going to the combine.

I'm not sure about Steins injury recovery, this may be somewhat of a factor. Personally, I think he got shoved around a lot. I like the kid, he just really didn't have a very good career. His motor is questionable. Maybe I am way off base though. I don't know for sure, but I think Bo's scheme can be really tough for defensive lineman to really put up GAUDY numbers as you say. So maybe some of these guys are better than some might think? I hate when people compare other DL's careers to Ndamukong Suh's career though. Those are expectations nobody is going to meet. If people were expecting Steinkuhler to be like Suh, well then the bar was already set WAY too high from the get go. Now, would guys like Crick and Steinkuhler, maybe even Eric Martin have been better in McBrides scheme? Yep, probably.

Yeah. Comparing to Suh is simply not a fair comparison. For anybody.

suh.gif

• Fire 1

Martin doesn't surprise me too much, but Cotton and especially Compton do.

I'm also a bit surprised that Stafford was invited over PJ Smith. I suppose teams know Stafford lays the wood and want to know how he does in drills and assignments.

I'd go for Stafford over Smith plus Stafford had a few more highlight-type plays.

@Sean_Callahan

It goes to show you how much Pelini got out of that senior class, as NFL experts don't see a lot of draft picks in all those seniors.

Yes and no. The offense was mostly underclassmen and the defense ... didn't play as well as we all would have liked.

This tweet caught my eye as well. It doesn't say to me "look how much Pelini got out of the class." It more or less tell me we lacked talent and/or players that played well. And that's not to take away from their college careers, but is still worth noting.

Rex is going to test exceptionally well everywhere except the 40.

Someone up above said they hoped he'd get a 4.4. I seriously doubt it. He was listed as having a 4.6 out of high school, and he doesn't look to be much faster than that.

When I first read the bold, I thought it was a slight against Bo. Reading it again, it appears to say how lucky we were to win 10 games this year with our lack of talent and that Bo actually made chicken salad out of chicken crap.

I don't know about "lucky" but we definitely did better than most thought. Especially with a defense that was patched together, I give the coaches - and players - credit.

Yeah. Comparing to Suh is simply not a fair comparison. For anybody.

suh.gif

Seriously who throws a 300lbs linemen and a QB down at the same time with his arms fully extended?

I'm also a bit surprised that Stafford was invited over PJ Smith. I suppose teams know Stafford lays the wood and want to know how he does in drills and assignments.

I'd go for Stafford over Smith plus Stafford had a few more highlight-type plays.

I feel like Stafford always had trouble with blown assignments here. From his very first game through Wisconsin in the CCG. Great hitter, but that doesn't cut it in the pros.

I feel like Stafford always had trouble with blown assignments here. From his very first game through Wisconsin in the CCG. Great hitter, but that doesn't cut it in the pros.

This is true. But it seemed like even when pj had his assignment right he couldn't make the play often enough.

Rex just doesn't have the top speed to break long runs. If you look at his long runs this year he got to the third level really quick, but didn't really seem to accelerate past that. That said,he's probably going to have the best 10 yard split. He's also going to show really well in the other agility tests.

+1

Agree. I think electronic he's probably in the 4.6 to 4.65 range (electronic). Just my guess. Where he would test well is in the 10 yard split, vertical. He's got explosion & quickness. He's a very good all around back. He will be a steal. Bet Dallas or Texans are the teams with the most interest. I find that pro teams often draft local or home talent.

I actually think that if your not 5th round or better, it's probably better to be a free agent so it's not the end of the world for the non-combine invites.

I think Denver needs to look at a RB in this draft. Burkhead playing for my Broncos would be one of the coolest things ever. I would take Montee Ball, or Leveon Bell from Michigan State as well, but I think Burkhead is better than both of them. If we do get him, the day that Burkhead blue and orange jersey is sewn together, you can guarantee I'll have one on my back.

• Fire 1

I think Denver needs to look at a RB in this draft. Burkhead playing for my Broncos would be one of the coolest things ever. I would take Montee Ball, or Leveon Bell from Michigan State as well, but I think Burkhead is better than both of them. If we do get him, the day that Burkhead blue and orange jersey is sewn together, you can guarantee I'll have one on my back.

Sign me up!!!

Burkhead%2B22.JPG

• Fire 1

Following up on your status post:

CBS ranks Burkhead the #20 RB. Last year 18 RBs were drafted.

Couldn't really find rankings from other major media outlets.

Sign me up!!!

Burkhead%2B22.JPG

Sweeeeet!