Interesting article. Presented some apparently compelling evidence but it still seems like it may be coincidental and/or convenient correlation. One thing is for sure, it will have to be overwhelmingly proven to gain traction against the ingrained ideals of incarceration, poverty, law enforcement, etc. There aren't going to be a lot of people wanting to see lead as the proven culprit. Possibly explaining why this isn't already widely accepted.

That is very interesting. It seemed like, while I was reading it, every time I formulated an argument against it they addressed it later in the article.

What will be interesting is to see if it holds true into the future. I hope so.

i agree. it is weird to think that at any given time there is a large portion of americans at risk to be criminals and something like lead can push them over. hopefully lead just continues to dissipate regardless of action because i do not see this becoming a policy priority, let alone consideration.

That is very interesting. It seemed like, while I was reading it, every time I formulated an argument against it they addressed it later in the article.

i agree. it is weird to think that at any given time there is a large portion of americans at risk to be criminals and something like lead can push them over. hopefully lead just continues to dissipate regardless of action because i do not see this becoming a policy priority, let alone consideration.

What specifically are you talking about? Legislation to eliminate more lead? Remediation of lead in soil?

What specifically are you talking about? Legislation to eliminate more lead? Remediation of lead in soil?

not sure if you read the second page and i do not think it was too specific, but it discussed the cost/benefit analysis of eradicating lead from houses and topsoil.

not sure if you read the second page and i do not think it was too specific, but it discussed the cost/benefit analysis of eradicating lead from houses and topsoil.

That is actually the point in the article that they started to lose me. It seemed to be a fairly unsubstantiated claim that the payoff on $20B in soil remediation would translate tenfold to earning potential etc. I have no doubts that if atmospheric lead is keeping inner city dwellers dumber and more violent that it would be a good thing to do. But, surely it would not be that simple to overcome proven socioeconomic conditions that also copntribute to preventing these people from escaping poverty. I think it would be a tough sell without more/better proof than this article provides.

• 5 months later...