Is it me or is Michigan pissed??

The fact that Iowa got thte better bid has to piss UM off big time...

On the other hand, Michigan fans have apparently brought this on themselves..

For being a football mainstay, the Outback made no secret that they selected Iowa because Michigan fans haven't traveled well..... $$$$$$$$$, all about $$$$$$

Outback Bowl Website

Outback Bowl officials announced the 20th Anniversary game is an official sellout

less than 24 hours after announcing its match-up. The bowl extended invitations Sunday

to the University of Iowa and the University of Florida to play in this years game.

Both schools are distributing their allotment of tickets to their season ticket holders,

boosters and students and have indicated they will use all of their tickets. The bowl

will be played January 2, at 11:00AM and be televised on ESPN TV.

:bounce:bounce

I find that teams from areas with no other sports interest in the area seem to travel better than teams in metro areas of other teams (I.E. NBA, NFL, MLB, etc...) and furthermore, it looks like it's tied to the amount of "alternative entertainment" in general available for people.

USC is ridiculously good, but it looks like they never sellout- and this year's Rose Bowl won't exactly measure how well they "travel." But in Los Angeles, USC is hardly the only thing going on in the city to draw people in.

Iowa travels well, but in the state there's really nothing else going on (all due respect to the 'Clones and Northern Iowa Panthers-- who incidently are in the NCAA 1-AA Title game) I used to date a girl from Ames, and outside of a pretty cool haunted forest at Halloween, my Iowa experience was anything but action packed.

I have long considered the complacency of some Michigan fans and I really can't come up with much as to why it is how it is. Maybe the fan population is diluted due to interest in other local sports (Red Wings, Pistons, Lions(err.. I doubt it's because of them :))

It's a no-brainer for Nebraska, the closest competition Husker football has regionally is Creighton basketball, UNO Hockey, and Husker volleyball(say what?!) When I am home (Grand Rapids, MI) you see a lot of Michigan stuff... but there's sects for Michigan State boosters, Red Wing fanatics, and Piston freaks (Deeetrrroitt Baasskketball -- sorry, couldn't help myself), and even small contingencies for the lesser 1-A schools (Eastern, Western, Central, Detroit, and Oakland) . In Michigan we have a big draw because of our location admist the great lakes-- so there's a lot of involvement with that. Here in Omaha, you have your choice between red and red... and then there's always red. And outside of watching the Huskers, your next best option is the now Nate Funk-less Bluejays, the UNO hockey team (incidently Michigan will be playing UNO at the Civic in February- GO BLUE!), and whatever else the Qwest Center can offer us. So basically there's no other big ticket. So everyone is all 'Go Huskers.' And there's nothing wrong with that.

Big-time collegiate sports programs that come from metros that are otherwise athletically starved always draw: see Nebraska, Iowa, Tennessee, Ohio State, Alabama, Auburn amongst others... I'm sure you could name plenty I haven't listed...

Look at some of the powers like USC, Miami, and Florida-- none of these have historically traveled well-- but crap, look where they're located. If you didn't have college football in those places, you'd be A-okay. If you didn't have college football here in Nebraska, I'm at a loss to figure out what would be going on here.

So that was a pretty nonsensical ramble, but hopefully there's some nuggets of validity hidden in there. What does everyone else think?

:dis

FU is located in Gainesville. a swampbucket freeway town in florida with NO pro sports teams. Miami, notoriously horrid fans to watch a game with (something I found out firsthand at the 01 Rose Bowl), and I'll grant USC never sells out the colesium, but here is "why". I think the capacity of that stadium numbers over the big house in Ann Arbor IF they opened all the seats. THe next time they show and overhead view of the stadium, or see it firsthand next year, look at the south end zone, it is so far away you can be there and be in line for the Pirates of the Carribbean at the same time. THose seats are never opened for purchase, instead a few portables are trucked in at a reasonable distance. THat place was built for track for the 32 olympics, and is very antiquated, but is a nice LA landmark.

As for LA being a front-running city, can't really argue, but there are fans out in CA. THe Dodgers blew last year and still were 5000 fans away from an attendence record, the Clips sell out and sold out last year also. And coming from a long pissed off and frustrated Dodger fan, people do stick with their teams in CA.

And any argument saying that MIchigan could be better than 7-4, can be made for NU being better than 7-4. And both teams have reasons why they could be worse, so lets relax and watch the game in two weeks.

mmmm.. I don't see the "team should of done better" comparison between Michigan and Nebraska... let's look at the losses...

Michigan lost by 7 to Notre Dame and they pretty well stunk.. that's one they should of lost.

Loses by 3 to Wisconsin with less than a minute to play after leading late, and leaving it to their defense to seal the win at the end-- whoops.

Loses by 3 to Minnesota with less than a minute to play after leading late... scary similarities...

Loses by 4 to Ohio State with less than a minute to play after leading late... did I just read this?

By my account, this team was 3 minutes of CHOKE away from 10-1.

Nebraska.. lost by 3 to Texas Tech- and darn right they should of won that one for sure- no disputing that.

Loses by 17 to Mizzou.. sorry, no dice

Loses by 25 to Kansas... likewise

Loses by 7 to Oklahoma, which in my opinion, pretty well was in command of the game.

Best I see here for Nebraska is 8-3

We could bring up the last-second heroics of the Penn State game.. which could of been a loss-- but then we could also bring up the choking of Pissburgh at the end of the Husker home game... also could of been a loss.

In any case, it's kind of pointless because it is what it is and there's still a game to be played. So blah.

I'm glad to see that you've come around Husker Rob. My short experience on this board has shown me that you and Redman have a way of not hearing what is being said. YOu ridicule people for not making the trip to San Antonio, all the while not knowing their situation, yet you aren't even going. Sure you have an excuse, but excuses are like what....??? and they both stink.

you guys started it by saying that NU travels better because there is nothing to do in the state and that NU will travel better because its the Alamo bowl, in the middle of the week, and playing an unworthy team.

obviously you didnt read everything in my post, because if you had you would have read that I am still trying to find someone to switch days with so i can go.

by the way i already have 2 tickets to the game, just in case i can go to it

I have gone to the last 2 Fiest Bowls that NU has played in, and the Kickoff Classic when NU played Texas AM.

anyway, I have my tickets already and I am not positive that I am going to go. Do you or any of the other UM fans have them?

but I have not used any excuses about not going to the game like some have.

My next excuse is Christmas in Oregon with my mother's family. SOME things in life actually are MORE important than college football. You can debate that if you want, but you'll be the one who looks like a Scrooge :lol: BUT in all fairness to me, I did manage to go to 2 road games this year (Northwestern and Iowa) and one home (Penn State). So if you think I don't get out to the games, then you're picking on the wrong Wolverine fan. I generally do get to about 3 a year, depending on where the road games are and when I have a little break to be home on a weekend where they are at home. I personally don't think that's too bad for a fan who's out of the "geographic loop" these days.

How many road games did you make it to for Nebraska? I drove to all of the road games and had to fly home to go with my family to the PSU game.

Thanks for explaining to me how far away from home I am though, I'm glad to see that you are proficient in the use of mapquest when needed.

I hope you enjoy the trip to San Antonio though. Make sure you check out the Tower of the America restaurant and the riverwalk after the game-- ya know, to get your mind off the spanking Michigan will have given the Huskers ;)

What if your mothers x-mas was on Jan 1???????????????? :wtf

I'm glad to see that you've come around Husker Rob. My short experience on this board has shown me that you and Redman have a way of not hearing what is being said. YOu ridicule people for not making the trip to San Antonio, all the while not knowing their situation, yet you aren't even going. Sure you have an excuse, but excuses are like what....??? and they both stink.

I have never ridiculed anyone for not traveling anywhere and I hear what is being said. Well, I hear it when you choose to make it intelligible and with less Michigan banter. I am fine with you offering up both facts and opinions (which you have done), but not when you confuse the two (which you have done as well). That I do not agree with you on certain topics, does not mean I don't hear you. By your logic, do you mean if someone does not agree with you, they must not hear you? There must be a lot of deaf people in this world.

My next excuse is Christmas in Oregon with my mother's family.  SOME things in life actually are MORE important than college football.  You can debate that if you want, but you'll be the one who looks like a Scrooge  :lol:  BUT in all fairness to me, I did manage to go to 2 road games this year (Northwestern and Iowa) and one home (Penn State).  So if you think I don't get out to the games, then you're picking on the wrong Wolverine fan.  I generally do get to about 3 a year, depending on where the road games are and when I have a little break to be home on a weekend where they are at home.  I personally don't think that's too bad for a fan who's out of the "geographic loop" these days. 

How many road games did you make it to for Nebraska?  I drove to all of the road games and had to fly home to go with my family to the PSU game. 

Thanks for explaining to me how far away from home I am though, I'm glad to see that you are proficient in the use of mapquest when needed.

I hope you enjoy the trip to San Antonio though.  Make sure you check out the Tower of the America restaurant and the riverwalk after the game-- ya know, to get your mind off the spanking Michigan will have given the Huskers  ;)

What if your mothers x-mas was on Jan 1???????????????? :wtf

Alright, I don't even know what you're trying to say there. If it's in reference to New Year's Day bowls-- then I think you mean January 2nd since January 1st is a Sunday and the NFL has to have it's day.

In accoradnce to this thread....is it me or is Michigan pissed they are going to this "insult" of a bowl? News flash, MU is 7-4 just like Nebraska, and better watch it or will overlook a Nebraska team that just might show up to play.

First- it's UM.. University of Michigan.. M only comes before U in MSU-- and we don't mention those inferior green jersey wearing fellows. I think what you mean to say is that you hope Michigan doesn't show up to play-- cause if they do, it's goodnight sweetheart for Nebraska. My apologies to Lee Corso.

I stated earlier, this is the toughest opponent we could have gotten. This is a great team that fell short for what ever reason. My guess is if they were playing USC or Texas they would not be more than a 7pt dog. There is talent on the Wolverine team and sideline.

I am with Hunter, just show up and play the game. Nothing could make me happier than being back in a bowl. I can understand Michigan's frustration, I remember Shreveport a few years back.

Fans support their team. I do and have for a very long time. I want Nebraska to win and think they have shot. But this Michigan team is not a team to be disrespected. I am very concerned about them. We have not faced anyone near their talent since the Rose Bowl in 01. We have our hands full.

What's Michigan's main attack, the pass? the run?

Nebraska has dealt with both this season. The arm of Cody Hodges and the running abilities of Adrian Peterson.

When the O line holds up, as it did against Colorado, I think a lot of people will be in for a surprise from the Huskers.

I look for the crowd to help fuel the team also.

I can also see Cory Ross running like a man possessed. It's his last game in a Husker uniform.

UM may have talent, but you cannot replace that with heart and desire to win.

NU-31

UM-17

:power

You are discussing one of the most storied football programs in college football history. Heart and will to win will not be missing from the Wolverines. The key is if they take Nebraska seriously. If they do and come prepared I think we are in real trouble. There are a lot of very unhappy fans in Michigan. I doubt Carr will overlook Nebraska, and the team will be on line to support their coach. In honesty I would have rather faced anyone else this year.

Personally I think this is a perfect game to really find out where we're at in terms of a team and what kind of progress we've truly made this season. UofM is an excellent program and IMO they'll be ready to play for that very reason, which means NU will have to bring their very best. That being said, I also think UM can be beaten by our team this year. IMO there's no reason we should find ourselves out of the game by the 4th quarter and we just may have enough to come away with what would be a very big and legitimizing win for BC and the program.