East-West not necessarily best for NU

I honestly think Wisconsin is going to decline very quickly though.

It will depend on their recruiting for the most part. Their new coaching staff is going about recruiting in a much different way than Barry A. and Brett B. did.

I was predicting their decline also. I thought their program was similar to Colorado with Alvarez having a similar role as McCartney. Once Alvarez retired from coaching they would inevitably decline. What I didn't understand was how egotistical Alvarez is and how protective he is about maintaining the formula for success that he created. When they hired Anderson I thought maybe he would try to make some drastic changes that might cause a serious hiccup similar to what we experienced with Callahan. Even though he is a WCO guy it sounds like from yesterday's ESPN article he respects their past success and is going to stick with power running game. I'm sure Alvarez hovering over him influenced his thinking. If Anderson is able to maintain the program according to Barry's vision they can probably stay good but never achieve a NC, even after his retirement as AD.

I haven't heard how their recruiting has changed. What is the change?

It will depend on their recruiting for the most part. Their new coaching staff is going about recruiting in a much different way than Barry A. and Brett B. did.

I was predicting their decline also. I thought their program was similar to Colorado with Alvarez having a similar role as McCartney. Once Alvarez retired from coaching they would inevitably decline. What I didn't understand was how egotistical Alvarez is and how protective he is about maintaining the formula for success that he created. When they hired Anderson I thought maybe he would try to make some drastic changes that might cause a serious hiccup similar to what we experienced with Callahan. Even though he is a WCO guy it sounds like from yesterday's ESPN article he respects their past success and is going to stick with power running game. I'm sure Alvarez hovering over him influenced his thinking. If Anderson is able to maintain the program according to Barry's vision they can probably stay good but never achieve a NC, even after his retirement as AD.

Not sure about their recruiting, but I'm willing to bet Alvarez tries so hard to protect what he built because any drastic changes to the program would really hurt them. Wisconsin philosophically maintaining their offensive system has paid huge dividends the last decade. Continuity in that regard has been their biggest ally, imo, and changing it will almost certainly cause decline.

As did I, but Bret used the same formula as Barry did and even took the program to a level higher than Barry did.

The reason why the decline or consistency for the Wisconsin program will mostly come down to recruiting is how successful their new schemes are with the talent/skill they can recruit into the program. Under the early Barry days he went after the big uglies in the region and got them. He went to other areas of the country, for the most part, to get the skill players. He landed some good ones, but not enough to remain consistent long term for remaining at the top of the conference, After Barry had the second run at the Rose Bowl's he went after the big name recruits in the skill positions and lost majority of the battles and the program slipped. Then Bret took over and use the formula Barry did in his early days at Wisconsin. Their new coach is going after the skill players more so than the big uglies on both sides of the line. Where the offers are going is very telling. If he strikes out on these so called "better athletes" and ends up with the lower level guys that don't actually increase the athletic level of the teams under Brett the program will slip. It will take a couple of recruiting classes to get a feel for it.

After the 2015 class is signed I will be able to tell how things could be going. I already know they will be losing around 28 or 30 players on their roster after the 2013 season. Going into the 2014 season they will have a ton of inexperience. So the type of guys he brings in for this class and the next class will give the direction of the program.

As did I, but Bret used the same formula as Barry did and even took the program to a level higher than Barry did.

I'm just asking here, it's a serious question.

What did Bielema do with Wisconsin that Barry didnt do? Am I missing something?

I'm just asking here, it's a serious question.

What did Bielema do with Wisconsin that Barry didnt do? Am I missing something?

Hired a better staff overall, even with all of the guys he replaced the last three seasons. Wasn't as conservative as Barry. Did a better job of finding recruits that fit the system better (as a team). Player development was better as well.

Hired a better staff overall, even with all of the guys he replaced the last three seasons. Wasn't as conservative as Barry. Did a better job of finding recruits that fit the system better (as a team). Player development was better as well.

Ok. That's individual aspects of the coaching job itself, but as far as the program as a whole goes, did Brett actually take it to a higher level than Barry?

TGHUSKER

I do see what you don't like, but it isn't all that bad. I like the fact that it may help with recruiting, if we can make the B1G ccg. It may only be the East/West with this set up for a couple of years anyway. As far as recruiting, we face an uphill battle in that regards , no mater what the divisions look like. Bo is making inroads into Ohio and will so with the other states, if we can keep improving. I find it funny that you or any of the others that think a live 'Game Day' coverage is so important, considering just about everyone on this site hates ESPN. Why would we want to see them here. If Nebraska wants them there so badly, schedule a top contender, twice a decade, for a home and home. Our Big-12 north days were not that bad. At least we got to play in the conference title game a few times. We gave Okl a a couple of good games, and Texas just got lucky twice, by getting a flu ridden team and perhaps a quick whistle in another. If we can beat the East rep in our B1G title game, the bias your worried about will quickly fade. Winning does that. We seem to be headed that way again. All this other stuff gos away, once Nebraska gets back to being the "BIG RED", again. jmho

GBR!!!

TGHUSKER

I do see what you don't like, but it isn't all that bad. I like the fact that it may help with recruiting, if we can make the B1G ccg. It may only be the East/West with this set up for a couple of years anyway. As far as recruiting, we face an uphill battle in that regards , no mater what the divisions look like. Bo is making inroads into Ohio and will so with the other states, if we can keep improving. I find it funny that you or any of the others that think a live 'Game Day' coverage is so important, considering just about everyone on this site hates ESPN. Why would we want to see them here. If Nebraska wants them there so badly, schedule a top contender, twice a decade, for a home and home. Our Big-12 north days were not that bad. At least we got to play in the conference title game a few times. We gave Okl a a couple of good games, and Texas just got lucky twice, by getting a flu ridden team and perhaps a quick whistle in another. If we can beat the East rep in our B1G title game, the bias your worried about will quickly fade. Winning does that. We seem to be headed that way again. All this other stuff gos away, once Nebraska gets back to being the "BIG RED", again. jmho

GBR!!!

Amen to that brotha!

Sincerely, not being a negative nancy or what ever. No paragraphs(drives me nuts) What do you see that indicates we are headed back. We got curb stomped twice, will most likely face one of them again. We gave up record number of yards in several games. We gave a tremendous amount of yard to Georgia and UCLA. We were not close to stopping Ohio State or Wisconsin. Our offense was not much in either of those games. We have a pretty young defense that was not capable of beating out one our worst ever group of starters. We can not compete with Ohio State in recruiting. Do you honestly feel we have a better coach than Ohio State. We do not have the talent that they do, nor the depth. So what is it that you see that makes you feel we are headed in the right direction. I just do not see it, try as hard as I can.

Sincerely, not being a negative nancy or what ever. No paragraphs(drives me nuts) What do you see that indicates we are headed back. We got curb stomped twice, will most likely face one of them again. We gave up record number of yards in several games. We gave a tremendous amount of yard to Georgia and UCLA. We were not close to stopping Ohio State or Wisconsin. Our offense was not much in either of those games. We have a pretty young defense that was not capable of beating out one our worst ever group of starters. We can not compete with Ohio State in recruiting. Do you honestly feel we have a better coach than Ohio State. We do not have the talent that they do, nor the depth. So what is it that you see that makes you feel we are headed in the right direction. I just do not see it, try as hard as I can.

It isn't like Nebraska has to play OSU every single game. It MIGHT be one game a year and anything can happening in one game. You must be fun to hang out with.