Nebraska Wrestling

4 hours ago, huskersrule95 said:

Really disappointing in the Quarterfinals so far with Lovett the only win so far. Smith, Van Dee and Hardy all lose. Hardy most frustrating giving up takedown in last couple seconds. 

100% agreed. Hardy's mat awareness there at the end was questionable at best. I think he got jobbed not getting NF but you gotta overcome it.

5 hours ago, MLB 51 said:

Hutmacher wrestled pretty well against Bradley. He took a 4-2 loss, but he looked much better out there.

Conditioning looked much, much better.

• Plus1 1

All in all, hard to argue with the results from this weekend. If a couple more things broke right for Nebraska they finish in 2nd. 

125--Smith is probably disappointed he didn't wrestle to his seed but all in all, I thought he was fine this weekend. He got taken down early by McKee and after that, it was tough because McKee is a hammer on top for most guys. He caught Ramos on the backside which was unlucky and dropped another and then he got hammered by Barnett who did not have a great tourney. 125 is a complete crap shoot and Smith probably has some confidence going into NCAAs seeing Davis win Big Tens. 

133--I thought Van Dee had a nice tourney. He got the starch taken out of him by Nagao in the QF given up that early TD and then it was pretty much a wrap from there. Nice job battling back in the Consis although I didn't love the Teske match as he had that won in regulation and kinda brain farted there. 

141--Little bit of a disappointing result for Hardy who should've been in the Semis. Just a really bad blunder there against Lemley in the QF giving away the match. Nice job coming back although I hope to goodness he doesn't need to wrestle Woods to AA because Hardy just doesn't match up at all against him.

149--Awesome job by Ridge beating Gomez again who is so, so dangerous. Great job on defense there at the edge when I thought Gomez was going to get him. I'd really like to see Gomez on the other side of the brackets at NCAAs.

157--Nice job by Robb getting 3rd. There seems to be a clear ceiling for him now as Franek and Haines are a cut above. Robb can definitely still AA but man, 157 is a meat grinder of a weight class. I can't be too critical of Robb because he's such a warrior.

165--Nice job by Taylor, wrestled to seed. He beat the guys he's supposed to beat and he lost to the guys that are a bit better than him. The future is super bright with him especially at 157.

174--Game effort by Bubba as always. He's undersized at 174 and that was clearly evident wrestling the two beefcakes from Ohio State (how is that dude a freshman!!) and Rutgers. I hope Bubba did enough to earn a WC so we'll see.

184--Weird being disappointed with Pinto finishing 3rd. He kinda wrestled like a dummy against Truax and I hope his lower leg injury isn't too serious. If you give Pinto a gas tank you'd get a better version of Salazar from Minnesota and that guy can win a national title. As it stands, Pinto has AA upside but I can also easily see him going 2-2 or something like that.

197--I know 197 is a little down this year in the Big Ten but I thought Allred handled himself nicely. He ran into Brooks and Brooks did Brooks stuff but I loved seeing him really put it on Smith from Maryland in the 3rd/4th match. Allred looked great this weekend and I hope he can carry that momentum into NCAAs

HWT--Great job by Nash to qualify, tremendous story. Would be awesome if he could find a way to pick up a win or two which is possible if he gets the right draw.

• Plus1 4
12 hours ago, Xmas32 said:

All in all, hard to argue with the results from this weekend. If a couple more things broke right for Nebraska they finish in 2nd. 

125--Smith is probably disappointed he didn't wrestle to his seed but all in all, I thought he was fine this weekend. He got taken down early by McKee and after that, it was tough because McKee is a hammer on top for most guys. He caught Ramos on the backside which was unlucky and dropped another and then he got hammered by Barnett who did not have a great tourney. 125 is a complete crap shoot and Smith probably has some confidence going into NCAAs seeing Davis win Big Tens. 

133--I thought Van Dee had a nice tourney. He got the starch taken out of him by Nagao in the QF given up that early TD and then it was pretty much a wrap from there. Nice job battling back in the Consis although I didn't love the Teske match as he had that won in regulation and kinda brain farted there. 

141--Little bit of a disappointing result for Hardy who should've been in the Semis. Just a really bad blunder there against Lemley in the QF giving away the match. Nice job coming back although I hope to goodness he doesn't need to wrestle Woods to AA because Hardy just doesn't match up at all against him.

149--Awesome job by Ridge beating Gomez again who is so, so dangerous. Great job on defense there at the edge when I thought Gomez was going to get him. I'd really like to see Gomez on the other side of the brackets at NCAAs.

157--Nice job by Robb getting 3rd. There seems to be a clear ceiling for him now as Franek and Haines are a cut above. Robb can definitely still AA but man, 157 is a meat grinder of a weight class. I can't be too critical of Robb because he's such a warrior.

165--Nice job by Taylor, wrestled to seed. He beat the guys he's supposed to beat and he lost to the guys that are a bit better than him. The future is super bright with him especially at 157.

174--Game effort by Bubba as always. He's undersized at 174 and that was clearly evident wrestling the two beefcakes from Ohio State (how is that dude a freshman!!) and Rutgers. I hope Bubba did enough to earn a WC so we'll see.

184--Weird being disappointed with Pinto finishing 3rd. He kinda wrestled like a dummy against Truax and I hope his lower leg injury isn't too serious. If you give Pinto a gas tank you'd get a better version of Salazar from Minnesota and that guy can win a national title. As it stands, Pinto has AA upside but I can also easily see him going 2-2 or something like that.

197--I know 197 is a little down this year in the Big Ten but I thought Allred handled himself nicely. He ran into Brooks and Brooks did Brooks stuff but I loved seeing him really put it on Smith from Maryland in the 3rd/4th match. Allred looked great this weekend and I hope he can carry that momentum into NCAAs

HWT--Great job by Nash to qualify, tremendous story. Would be awesome if he could find a way to pick up a win or two which is possible if he gets the right draw.

Thanks for tournament breakdown!

• Plus1 1

47 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

The guy he beat from Northern Iowa got in. I'm not saying Bubba deserved it, but he did so more than that guy.

• Plus1 1