Thousands of barrels of oil leak from pipeline

Pipeline companies want their product to travel further. That is how they make their money, off of tariffs and storage fees. They wouldn't make as much if the pipeline went across Canada as oppossed to the US. It would be cheaper for them to put it in across Canada but thats about it.

I suspect that crossing the Rocky Mountains might change the price . . .

As far as building refineries, it takes about 20yrs to start one from the ground up and to get it running.

In that case they should get to work. Maybe we'll come up with a better energy option than tar sands in those 20 years.

I know at one time, a refinery was looked at being built in between Souix City and Souix Falls but couldn't get the paperwork passed for them to start building. it took 6 yrs for them to get the paperwork altogether and submitted.

are you talking about hyperion?

No...I believe it was Cenex that was trying. They are a big player up in that area when it comes to refined products.

• 2 months later...

As the Obama administration’s decision regarding whether to approve the controversial Keystone XL pipeline draws nearer, the latest disaster is raising serious concerns about the safety of Canada’s rapidly expanding pipeline network.

A massive toxic waste spill from an oil and gas operation in northern Alberta is being called one of the largest recent environmental disasters in North America. First reported on June 1, the Texas-based Apache Corp. didn’t reveal the size of the spill until June 12, which is said to cover more than 1,000 acres.

Members of the Dene Tha First Nation tribe are outraged that it took several days before they were informed that 9.5 million liters of salt and heavy-metal-laced wastewater had leaked onto wetlands they use for hunting and trapping.

“Every plant and tree died” in the area touched by the spill, said James Ahnassay, chief of the Dene Tha.

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2013/06/18/2167151/every-plant-and-tree-died-huge-alberta-pipeline-spill-raises-safety-questions-as-keystone-decision-looms/?mobile=nc

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.foxnews.c...test=latestnews

and this is exactly why we need to stop the pipeline because when the train derails and explodes there will be much less to clean up since it will all burn up in the inferno. Much easier then then cleaning it up off the ground.

Canada can do whatever they'd like across their own land . . . I just see zero reason why we should risk our land and water so they can generate huge profits.

It sounds like you support building the Keystone XL pipeline. If so, why? What benefit do you think the United States (or you personally) would receive? Or is it just one of those situations where there is a perception that one "side" is against something so the other "side" has to be against it?

and this is exactly why we need to stop the pipeline because when the train derails and explodes there will be much less to clean up since it will all burn up in the inferno. Much easier then then cleaning it up off the ground.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/06/world/americas/canada-train-derailment-fire/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

"At least one person died and others were reported missing"

Pretty sure no pipelines killed anyone today but I guess there is still time.

"The radio station said that the oil shipment was on its way to the United States."

Maybe next time we can be so fortunate that the train at least makes it to the US before it derails.

Canada can do whatever they'd like across their own land . . . I just see zero reason why we should risk our land and water so they can generate huge profits.

It sounds like you support building the Keystone XL pipeline. If so, why? What benefit do you think the United States (or you personally) would receive? Or is it just one of those situations where there is a perception that one "side" is against something so the other "side" has to be against it?

I would like to see it built for the fact that it would create revenue and jobs for the state and counties that it runs through. Not all of the oil is going to be shipped overseas, some will be used here in the US which will help with "some" shortages that tend to go on through out the year.

I would like to see it built for the fact that it would create revenue and jobs for the state and counties that it runs through.

What revenue? How many jobs do you expect after the construction phase?

Not all of the oil is going to be shipped overseas, some will be used here in the US which will help with "some" shortages that tend to go on through out the year.

Keystone XL was designed to end at a foreign trade zone. That's not a fortunate coincidence . . . it's by design.

http://www.cnn.com/2....html?hpt=hp_t2

"At least one person died and others were reported missing"

Pretty sure no pipelines killed anyone today but I guess there is still time.

"The radio station said that the oil shipment was on its way to the United States."

Maybe next time we can be so fortunate that the train at least makes it to the US before it derails.

http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/topic/64583-thousands-of-barrels-of-oil-leak-from-pipeline/page__view__findpost__p__1178280

http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/07/world/americas/canada-runaway-train/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

Death toll up to 5 now with 40 still missing. There are a lot of towns in Nebraska that the BNSF route splits right in half when Warren starts shipping the oil via rail if they stop the pipeline. Fun times ahead for Nebraska. Leave it to the environmentalists to force the oil companies to chose the more dangerous method of transportation that is also worse for the environment. Well done Jane.

I would like to see it built for the fact that it would create revenue and jobs for the state and counties that it runs through.

Not all of the oil is going to be shipped overseas, some will be used here in the US which will help with "some" shortages that tend to go on through out the year.

Keystone XL was designed to end at a foreign trade zone. That's not a fortunate coincidence . . . it's by design.

If that's the case, then every refinery we have on the gulf is in a foreign trade zone. What difference does it make then. Whether you care or not, the pipeline WILL bring jobs and revenue to the states in which it inhabits.

If that's the case, then every refinery we have on the gulf is in a foreign trade zone.

What?

Whether you care or not, the pipeline WILL bring jobs and revenue to the states in which it inhabits.

Making the claim again doesn't make it any more convincing. Show me.

Whether you care or not, the pipeline WILL bring jobs and revenue to the states in which it inhabits.

My wife's uncle worked on some of the existing pipelines. Once construction is done, which is less than a year on the jobs he's done, there's no more work. That "20,000 jobs created" is an utter, utter lie.

• Fire 3

My wife's uncle worked on some of the existing pipelines. Once construction is done, which is less than a year on the jobs he's done, there's no more work. That "20,000 jobs created" is an utter, utter lie.

. . . but a convenient lie.

If that's the case, then every refinery we have on the gulf is in a foreign trade zone. What difference does it make then. Whether you care or not, the pipeline WILL bring jobs and revenue to the states in which it inhabits.

Quite possibly the biggest bunch of BS in this entire debate. Sorry Stumpy....not trying to offend you. I'm just pissed at the politicians and salesmen that are trying to sell that pitch. Some people have believed it.