Golf Club Recommendations?

QMany, or other golfers: Do you lag putt from > 30' the same as you would for a shorter, makable putt, say from 8'? That is, do you use the same alignment and technique from 30' as you would from 8'? What clubs do you use in various situations around the green, say 10 yards off the green and in?

My lag putt setup and routine is the exact same. Off the greens, I'm mostly using my 60* wedge. If I have more room and feel like a lower running chip is the better option, I'll use my 54* wedge or 48* PW.

I would recommend a putting setup and routine that is the same, no matter how long the putt. You will have more consistent results that way.

For chipping, I recommend using whatever you are comfortable with. Some people say to try the same chipping technique and then vary the club depending on how far the chip is. With me, I usually use my 52* wedge, and then my 56* wedge if I need to get more air under it. I usually only use my 60* wedge for flop shots and bunker shots. I carry a lot more wedges (PW, 52*, 56*, AND 60*) than the typical golfer.

Thanks guys. Good advice from both. I've really been getting into the short game these past three weeks. Wrenched my foot, and I can't take a full swing yet. So I've been stuck fiddling around the practice greens. Might just be the best thing for my overall game that could have happened.

In the past I used my Vokey 52 for short pitches, and my seven iron for chipping. Then a few years back I started using my Vokey for everything around the green--both pitching and chipping. Lately though I've been using my 56 wedge for short pitches, and my nine iron for chipping. As for putting, for quite a while I've been lagging with more of an open stance. When I say lagging, I mean long putts of over 30'. Putts I don't have too great a chance of putting in the hole. I'm not sure whether there's a down side to using a different stance (open stance) on long, low percentage putts. Really I just want to avoid spending three short strokes to get down.

Again, thanks for the input guys. I'm tinkering around with my short game. Trying different stuff. New ideas are helpful. :thumbs:

I have a problem reaching with longer putts (uphill from distance are my achilles heel) so my approach is slightly different. I generally play far less break and ensure that I hit it hard enough. It's a win for me if I can get it to within my money distance from the hole on the downhill side but I try to give myself at worst, a very easy "two putt that should-have-been-one". With the relatively shorter putts i am generally very confident and more aggressive with small or large break because I can consistently get the roll I need so the door is wide open for whatever the putt calls for. It makes it far easier for me to only have the one option from longer distances.

Lucky for me (or maybe the reason I struggle) this is because my ability from tee up to green rarely leaves me in a long putt scenario. Not saying I am that good, just that I don't end up in too many long putts.

Around the green depends almost entirely on how far off and how much green I have to work with, plus the break. I have a pretty wide arsenal to use. I prefer a punch and run with the 56, but have the lob/flop all the way down to the punch and run with some longer clubs accessible. I haven't ever used the fairway metal green-side (that I remember) but do occasionally mess around with it on the practice green for a change of pace.

QMany, or other golfers: Do you lag putt from > 30' the same as you would for a shorter, makable putt, say from 8'? That is, do you use the same alignment and technique from 30' as you would from 8'? What clubs do you use in various situations around the green, say 10 yards off the green and in?

My buddies would tell you that the one area that I am good is around the green.

Putting - I do the exact same thing on every putt. I always align my put with the line marked on the ball. I then step back, look at where I want to hit it. For longer putts that have a break(maybe this is what your talking about)I find a spot that I think is going to be the apex of the arc of the break and aim for that point. My back swing of my stroke determines the distance. I line the ball up with the inside sole of my left shoe and use my right toe as a guide for where I want the back swing to go. For instance, if it's a short put, the putter won't go past the big toe on my right foot. If it's a longer putt, it goes past that. From there it is all about feel.

Around the green - I absolutely can not putt from the fringe even if it's only 10" off. So, in that case, most of the time I will use my 7 iron. I love bumping and running the ball. If I have equal amounts of fringe and green to the hole, I will use my pitching wedge. I can lay the wedge open or close it for certain shots. In some situations I will use a sand wedge and flop it on the green. That is really fun in the right situation. In the sand around the green I always use the sand wedge.

From 100 yards out - pitching wedge.

From 80-90 yards out - gap wedge.

From 40-50 yards out - I might use the sand wedge....depending on the situation.

Choke down on each wedge to take 5-10 yards off while keeping the swing the same.

Sorry if that got long. This i my favorite part of the game. I love going and practicing on the practice green. Drop three balls on the fringe and take PW, SW and 7 Iron there and just get creative on making shots to various spots on the green.

Practicing your short game is a great thing to do to shave a few strokes off your score. I would say the average amateur golfer will miss the green the majority of their approach shots. So, if you can get up and down from near the green half the time, you can save 4-6 strokes per round. Then if you can cut to the number of 3-putts to 0-2 times per round, that will save another few strokes. Your short game will help you turn bogeys into pars quite a bit.

Most golfers aren't going to break 100 if you can't hit good tee shots. But, you can go from not breaking 90 to low to mid 80s with a decent short game. Then on the few rounds where you are hitting the ball well from tee to green, you could start scoring in the 70s. Plus, if you play with friends, you can really demoralize them by scrambling for pars all day.

Nice post, BRB. I really enjoy working on my short game, too. Most people want to get to a driving range and pound drivers for 70 balls. I love taking my wedges and trying different shots with them. In college, I worked at a golf course over the summer. I had to stay each night until everyone got off the course, so I would practice pitching, chipping, and putting a lot on the practice green. I think I am a decent pitcher and chipper. I wouldn't call myself a great putter, but I am not terrible either.

The best golfer I'm friends (probably a -2 handicap on our local course) with one time pointed out that when we play together, I out drive him. However, he is absolutely money from about 120 yards in. If he is anywhere within 20 yards he almost always gets up and down.

So, on his drives, all he cares about is getting it in play in the fairway so he has a chance to use his irons to win.

The best golfer I'm friends (probably a -2 handicap on our local course) with one time pointed out that when we play together, I out drive him. However, he is absolutely money from about 120 yards in. If he is anywhere within 20 yards he almost always gets up and down.

So, on his drives, all he cares about is getting it in play in the fairway so he has a chance to use his irons to win.

Yeah, a guy I know is the same way. Drives it in the middle of the fairway every time. Not a huge driver though, maybe 210 or 220, or so. But he's money around the greens. Always seems to be able to get up and down. And a damn good putter. He's a 50-something year old guy. And he just about made the U.S. Senior Open last year. A qualifying event was played in my town. He was actually leading the field at the turn, but he dropped a couple strokes on the back nine and ended up in 3rd. The winner went on to play in the U.S. Senior Open.

AD-Speedline-Plus-Comp-Set_zpsf164ea98.g

Just bought a new putter today. It's an Adams Golf Speedline Plus. LINK Sort of a knockoff of a Scotty Cameron design, except without the adjustable heel and toe weights. And at about 85% less $$. LOL. Feels real nice in the hands. Think I might head over to the practice green to see how it hits.

Practicing your short game is THE BEST, EASIEST, MOST WORTHWHILE thing to do to shave a few strokes off your score.

FIFY. This is where the phrase "Drive for show, putt for dough" comes from. Sure you can full swing that sand wedge 120 yards but can you put a quarter swing on that same wedge from 35 yards out and consistently knock it close? What about a 3/4 sand wedge from 75 yards out? The most gains can truly be made around the green. Yet it is typically practiced the least. But really it can be extended up to 100 yards out. And is free to do, whereas a large range bucket here is around $7.50.

Prevent chasing the ball around the green by developing touch with a simple drill. Start with a number of balls. 5, 10, 20, whatever. Start with your putter and hit a putt 2-3 feet. Then try to hit each consecutive shot about 6" past the last putt. Work your way as far out as you can go. Do the same with a wedge, working your way from a short, green-side pitch shot swing all the way up to a full swing.

It's funny watching people go to the range and just pound on balls with a driver the whole time. You (generically speaking) hit driver 16 times per round, max. Long to middle irons, sometimes not even that much, at least I dont typically.You spend most of your time hitting mid to short irons and putting. Yet, let's pound the Big Dog. We spent all that money on him, he's gotta eat. Makes no sense. Here is a tip, the average large bucket of balls contains nearly the same amount of swings as par for 18 holes. Which means you should be hitting nearly every club you would in a typical round.

Like was said above. Just put an easy and simple (mechanically speaking) swing on it and put something in play. Repeat with your second shot. You should be close enough now to put something on the green and at worst two putt. Easier said than done but it's not rocket science, no need to overthink it or overswing it.

I too worked at a golf course through High school and college and I was lucky enough to have had the advantage of getting free range balls and golf. My best friend (who also worked there) and I would hit a giant bin of balls a day before my shift or during my buddies shift while he was picking the range. The bin was approximately 7 large buckets of balls. Oddly enough, we spent even more time on the practice greens and even though the range helped me immensely, there is no replacement for all that work put in on the greens. And by immensely I mean, I went from consistently over 100 as a freshman to a 4 handicap as a senior and I owe the majority of that to work around the greens. You can't make up for the touch you can gain. It also forces you to get creative too, mostly because hitting the same shot hundreds of times over can get boring, which really pays off with some of those tricky shots we can find during a round.

Just bought a new putter today. It's an Adams Golf Speedline Plus. LINK Sort of a knockoff of a Scotty Cameron design, except without the adjustable heel and toe weights. And at about 85% less $$. LOL. Feels real nice in the hands. Think I might head over to the practice green to see how it hits.

Bought this two years ago and it's my favorite putter I've ever owned.

mTN36ALkEa36FgerZ-UrB8Q.jpg

Sort of a knockoff of a Scotty Cameron design...

It's actually a knockoff PING Anser.

mtaISZaRTJfntOd0rqXHcmg.jpg

Scotty is a great marketer. Club designer, not so much.

I have an old Ping Anser like that somewhere. Bought it out of a used club sale barrel a while back for $15 or $20.

I think I mentioned that I hurt my foot three weeks ago and cannot yet take a full swing. So I've been limited to the practice green, where I've been spending a lot of time lately. Here are a few short game drills (diversions?) I've worked into the mix to keep things from getting boring:

• Put five balls on the fringe and chip to five different holes at varying distances. The goal is to get all the balls down in 10 (or lower) total strokes. I also do the same drill with my wedge from the rough just off the practice green. But up-and-downs with the wedge out of the rough are much harder.
  • Putt a ball out to about five feet. Then putt a second ball just past the first, as close as possible. Then a third ball just past the second, and so on for five balls. I do this same drill with the wedge too. Try to see how tightly spaced I can get the five balls.
  • Working on 8 foot putts, straight up hill. I do five in a series, several times. (Doing them five at a time makes it easier to compute the percentage made.) I figure if I can get to where I can make eight foot putts pretty regularly then five foot putts will seem like a sure thing. And twelve foot putts will have a better chance at the jar.
  • There is usually a hole cut on the practice green towards the top of a sloping portion of the green, about 10 feet in from the top edge of the green. It's nearly impossible to get the ball stopped anywhere near the hole. They generally roll down the hill gathering speed, ending up past the hole 20 or 30 feet. I start out each day hitting several balls out of the rough about 20 feet off the green to see if I can make this impossible shot. It takes a perfect flop shot, with one bounce from the edge of the rough onto the green. I can only make this shot about once out of every dozen or so times, and get within a few feet of the hole.
  • There's a cart path running across our driving range out about 40 yards, with a hole 10 yards beyond it. I try to bounce it off the cart path and make it roll up near to the flag. Just something to do.

So do you guys have any weird little short game drills you do to keep things from getting boring? :lol: