Golf Club Recommendations?

Biggest problem is finding a place to practice 25-100 yard pitch shots. Hard to get a feel shooting at arbitrary clumps of grass on the range. Not enough room around the putting green.

Not sure where you live, but there are courses that have separate short game practice areas. You can also go to a park or school grounds and practice pitching to a backstop.

Before I moved I used to go to a park sometimes, or to the local high school football field. Wrong kind of grass though. But better than nothing.

Biggest problem is finding a place to practice 25-100 yard pitch shots. Hard to get a feel shooting at arbitrary clumps of grass on the range. Not enough room around the putting green.

Not sure where you live, but there are courses that have separate short game practice areas. You can also go to a park or school grounds and practice pitching to a backstop.

Before I moved I used to go to a park sometimes, or to the local high school football field. Wrong kind of grass though. But better than nothing.

If you really want to piss off a school grounds keeper, walk out on the football field and start hacking it up with a golf club..... :wasted

If you really want to piss off a school grounds keeper, walk out on the football field and start hacking it up with a golf club..... :wasted

Meh. Those guys get paid by the hour. So what evs. :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Before work this morning I walked out to hole 5 on the course where I play to practice a few short pitch shots from the really nasty rough that surrounds that green. Found three Pro V1X balls while walking out to that hole and back. WIN! :lol:

Hey Huskerboard golfers, How important do you think ball matching is? A guy I know swears by it. He went to a ball matching day at a driving range and tried out a dozen or so different brands and types of golf balls. He claims he gets an extra ten yards, and straighter drives, out of the ball that most closely matched his swing. A Bridgestone e6, in his case. Coincidentally, the ball matching day he attended was sponsored by Bridgestone. (He said he hit all different brands and types of balls though--Titleist, Callaway, Nike, Pinacle, etc.) lol

For those who think there's something to this, how did you choose the brand/type of ball you currently play with?

Hey Huskerboard golfers, How important do you think ball matching is? A guy I know swears by it. He went to a ball matching day at a driving range and tried out a dozen or so different brands and types of golf balls. He claims he gets an extra ten yards, and straighter drives, out of the ball that most closely matched his swing. A Bridgestone e6, in his case. Coincidentally, the ball matching day he attended was sponsored by Bridgestone. (He said he hit all different brands and types of balls though--Titleist, Callaway, Nike, Pinacle, etc.) lol

For those who think there's something to this, how did you choose the brand/type of ball you currently play with?

Of course the ball "fitting" sponsored by Bridgestone is going to sell him Bridgestone golf balls. He's not going to recommend your friend that he gets Titleist or Callaway.

The average golfer isn't going to tell the difference between the highest level of ball from each brand. The top ball from Titleist, Taylor Made, Callway, Bridgestone, Nike, etc. are all going to feel and react the same. Also, most golfers don't have the swing speed to necessitate the "higher" level ball like a ProV1 or whatever the other brands call their balls.

One thing that has led to the amount of time it takes to play golf is that the average golfer spends WAY TOO MUCH TIME looking for a ball in the weeds, trees, etc, when he spent $50 for a dozen golf balls. The average golfer would be better off buying the $25-30 golf ball, and saving us all some time on the course.

Myself, I like to play the Titleist ProV1. It's just personal preference for me. I like the feel I get in my short game. I will buy the "logo overruns" ProV1s that some stores offer for $15-20 cheaper per dozen. They are the exact same ball, they just have a logo on the side. Some of the logos are super small, and I don't even notice them. As I said above, I could probably play the mid-level ball and not notice a huge difference. I guess I am a golf-ball snob.

I am actually playing a lot of Titlest NXT Tour balls right now only because my company bought a bunch to put our logo on. Before that, I played a lot of Taylor Mades. I really liked their feel. Every once in a while I will just pull a crappy ball out of my bag and hit it. It just feels horrible. Like hitting a rock.

I agree though that most of us wouldn't be able to tell the difference as long as you stay towards the top end of all the major brands. Once you get to that point, it's pretty much mental. Pick a ball that you think you will hit well.

I am actually playing a lot of Titlest NXT Tour balls right now only because my company bought a bunch to put our logo on. Before that, I played a lot of Taylor Mades. I really liked their feel. Every once in a while I will just pull a crappy ball out of my bag and hit it. It just feels horrible. Like hitting a rock.

I agree though that most of us wouldn't be able to tell the difference as long as you stay towards the top end of all the major brands.

I might switch to the Titleist NXT Tour ball, just because the ProV1's are so darned expensive. I might also look at the top levels of other brands, but I have always preferred playing Titleist.

If I find a Pinnacle or a Rock Flight on the course, I will either throw them into a pond or stash them in my bag for my son to use down the road.

• 2 weeks later...

1999471.jpg

I pulled several old drivers out of storage last Saturday and took them to the driving range. Including an old Big Bertha. a Titleist 975D, and a Henry Griffitts driver like the one shown above. I bought all three of them used, years ago. Couldn't hit the Big Bertha worth a sh#t. Hit the Titleist 975D okay, but erratic. The Henry Griffitts was money. Straight as a string, perhaps 220 or so in the air. It has about a 250cc face, I'd guess. Probably from the mid 90s (I bought it out of a sale barrel at a driving range for $20 or so.) Might just throw it in the bag for a while. For kicks. :lol:

1999471.jpg

I pulled several old drivers out of storage last Saturday and took them to the driving range. Including an old Big Bertha. a Titleist 975D, and a Henry Griffitts driver like the one shown above. I bought all three of them used, years ago. Couldn't hit the Big Bertha worth a sh#t. Hit the Titleist 975D okay, but erratic. The Henry Griffitts was money. Straight as a string, perhaps 220 or so in the air. It has about a 250cc face, I'd guess. Probably from the mid 90s (I bought it out of a sale barrel at a driving range for $20 or so.) Might just throw it in the bag for a while. For kicks. :lol:

I bet that Henry Griffitts driver is very similar to today's 3 woods in terms of loft and club head size. Although, the big thing with club manufacturers today is to make their 3-woods provide more distance.

I love how it says "1" at the bottom haha. 1 wood now that's old school. Is that driver offset? It looks like it's super offset....just curious. Speaking of offset I've always thought it was funny when companies were making insanely offset drivers to help the "slice." I'm no club engineer but the 2 centimeters of offset I highly doubt helps with someone who has a club head speed of more than 90 mph along with the fact that if you're using an offset driver I'm guessing it's more likely it's the indian not the arrow. The King cobra circa 97 comes to mind as the most popular offset driver I remember. Maybe it does work considering greg Norman was the poster child and the fact he's probably the best driver of the ball of all time. Tour players equipment is usually a little different than public especially if you are the star player for that company

I love how it says "1" at the bottom haha. 1 wood now that's old school. Is that driver offset? It looks like it's super offset....just curious. Speaking of offset I've always thought it was funny when companies were making insanely offset drivers to help the "slice." I'm no club engineer but the 2 centimeters of offset I highly doubt helps with someone who has a club head speed of more than 90 mph along with the fact that if you're using an offset driver I'm guessing it's more likely it's the indian not the arrow. The King cobra circa 97 comes to mind as the most popular offset driver I remember. Maybe it does work considering greg Norman was the poster child and the fact he's probably the best driver of the ball of all time. Tour players equipment is usually a little different than public especially if you are the star player for that company

The picture I posted is a random Internet pic "like" the Henry Griffitts club I bought out of a driving range sale barrel. But the actual club I own does have some offset as well.

I was a carbon fiber golf shaft designer. Enginerd. So...here you go. Go to a place that sells used clubs and has a computer monitor. Loosen up for a while and don't think about those hits. After you are loose, start scoring. Pro level clubs...forget them. They bend shots too much. A small mishit will spin your ball too much. You will bend shots on accident and you don't want that. So...perimeter weighting is what you want. Light shaft (carbon or lw steel...carbon is better). Stiffness...too little is bad too much is not bad. But humans "feel" that too much stiffness is bad. That is not correct but it is what you feel. So probably best to go with the "good" feel. Normal or stiff. Gauge that by your VERY warmed up club head speed with a driver. 90 100 110. Torque...the stiffer the better. Period. Too stiff won't hurt you but, it also wont help you. If too loose on torque...you have control problems. Too stiff in torque means nothing (the true answer is head loft...not torque) Next... all carbon shafts are illegal because they are not uniform. But they are legal even so...so don't worry about it. But...the "spline" totally does matter. So...make sure you have a guy who can frequency match your set. That basically means how stiff is every club in the hitting position (face angle zero upon hitting straight.) Calloway...think 2 or 3 generations old. Are great clubs. Get nice used ones that you hit on the machine and you like the feel. Price in great condition will be 50 percent of new, or less. And in near new condition. They will perform better since you proved it on the machine. I have done such testing myself. The difference in results were very significant.