Golf Club Recommendations?

I'd say this is as good a place as any, but I'm looking for some help on a swing issue.

My driver, 3/4 hybrids are all TaylorMade Burner's. When I miss hit my driver, it slices. When I hit my hybrids at all, they snap hook very badly. How is that possible, and what the heck is going on to cause that?

If I had to guess, without seeing video, I would say you're coming a little over the top. The longer the club, the harder it is to square the clubface, so you're driver face is open to the path (fade/slice). The shorter the club, the easier it is to square, so you may be getting it back to square (pull) or a little closed to the path (pull hook).

I'd say this is as good a place as any, but I'm looking for some help on a swing issue.

My driver, 3/4 hybrids are all TaylorMade Burner's. When I miss hit my driver, it slices. When I hit my hybrids at all, they snap hook very badly. How is that possible, and what the heck is going on to cause that?

If I had to guess, without seeing video, I would say you're coming a little over the top. The longer the club, the harder it is to square the clubface, so you're driver face is open to the path (fade/slice). The shorter the club, the easier it is to square, so you may be getting it back to square (pull) or a little closed to the path (pull hook).

Could you elaborate a bit, specifically what "coming over the top" means? This sounds like my problem too. I know I bring my club too far back (which might be what you mean, but I'd like to confirm), but when I try to limit my backswing I even more consistently push the ball right and I think my clubface is even more open. Trying to figure out how to correct it. I suppose I should just take a lesson. I just figured bringing the club back too far just put me out of balance too often and leads to inconsistency.

Thanks for the help, Q. I just went to the range and the problem wasn't as drastic; both were playing slight draws. I can work with that for sure, but I have no idea what I was doing different from yesterday when they were going opposite directions.

I can't hit a driver, but used to be able to hit a 3 wood about 280-290 with pretty good accuracy

(cough) bullsh#t (cough)! Go on!

He means feet I'd guess..As in less than the length of a football field.

My old gf got pissed my 1st time out because I kept hitting them farther than I could see ...and ..losing her balls.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to bring a thread back from the dead but I have been looking into getting one of those SuperSaver putter grips that both Dufner and Furyk used as well as many other players on tour. Can anyone tell me exactly what those do for you and how they help improve your putting?

The theory is the bigger grip helps you keep a looser hold on the club. When you tighten up your forearms, it's easy to get off line. If you have a looser grip, it should be easier to putt with your shoulders instead of your arms.

In theory.

Sorry to bring a thread back from the dead but I have been looking into getting one of those SuperSaver putter grips that both Dufner and Furyk used as well as many other players on tour. Can anyone tell me exactly what those do for you and how they help improve your putting?

It takes your hands out of the stroke, no flip or twitch or hit impulse. Think of holding a little pencil in your fingers, and then think of holding a 2 X 4 in your hands. It is much harder to manipulate and twist the 2 X 4. It allows your hands to be more stable and still.

It takes your hands out of the stroke, no flip or twitch or hit impulse. Think of holding a little pencil in your fingers, and then think of holding a 2 X 4 in your hands. It is much harder to manipulate and twist the 2 X 4. It allows your hands to be more stable and still.

So it sounds like this would be a wise investment if putting is something you struggle with?

So it sounds like this would be a wise investment if putting is something you struggle with?

It could be depending on what you struggle with. It is great for people who have that hit impulse and struggle with inconsistent speed or too much hands in the stroke. If your problem is reading greens or aiming, it won't helped. Reading greens is learned. Most of the time, alignment and aiming has to do with eye dominance and the style of putter; depending on head/hosel shapes, people's aim can drastically vary.

It could be depending on what you struggle with. It is great for people who have that hit impulse and struggle with inconsistent speed or too much hands in the stroke. If your problem is reading greens or aiming, it won't helped. Reading greens is learned. Most of the time, alignment and aiming has to do with eye dominance and the style of putter; depending on head/hosel shapes, people's aim can drastically vary.

Alright well I'm not exactly sure what I struggle with putting wise as I've never taken a golf lesson in my life and have just learned things on my own. I do know though that i very rarely make anything outside of 10 ft.

Sounds like I just need to play a few rounds and you could help me out at half the cost as a teaching pro.

Another common mistake people make with putters is having the wrong length of putter. Most putters sold are 35 inches. Depending on the height of the person, that's probably too long. I used to play years ago with a 35 inch putter, went to a 34 inch one about 6 years ago, and now use a 33 inch putter. Now I am about 5'10-11' and like to hang my arms low, so thats why I use a short putter. But, putter length is a common mistake for folders.

A follow-up to the "fat putter grip", Dufner was a terrible putter 2 years ago, switched to the fat grip last year and it helped a ton. This year, his putting has been pretty bad. Even in the PGA Championship, he won that due to his amazing ball striking. He made some bad strokes at times on the weekends. Also, Furyk has tried so many putters the past few years and they all seem to be temporary fixes.

I think most good putters are born with good touch, feel, and can read the greens well.