Golf Club Recommendations?

^^ "But then there's the 7 iron. I never miss with the 7 iron." —Roy "Tin Cup" McAvoy

That's a MacGregor VIP Tourney seven iron. (I play with MT Tourneys, a few years newer than Tin Cup's clubs.)

• 2 weeks later...

Not yet. I played 36 holes this weekend though! I've got finals this next week and havent had much time to keep looking. Improving my swing is what I've been doing lately.

I believe the irons I have now might be too short for me. But I'm no pro. I need to get my swing looked at, because I'm hitting irons way farther and with way less loft than I should be.

How can I tell which clubs have a lot of forgiveness.

In the simplest terms, perimeter weighting increases the sweet spot, and a lower and deeper COG makes it easier to launch.

For example, this:

11886213-ping-g15-irons.jpg

Not this:

1Titleist690MB.jpg

There is a lot in between.

Many manufacturers have great models out currently and you can easily find models from the past 2-3 for CHEAP on eBay.

Feel free to send me a PM or post on here if you have any specific questions.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd like to take this thread in another direction.

I have two kids (son and daughter) who have expressed interest in playing golf. They both have birthdays in June. I would like to get them each a set of golf clubs. At this point, they are not serious about golf and will play a few times per year. So, I am not interested in spending a ton of money on these clubs. I want a starter set that will give them a chance to go play and get to know the game.

Son = Will be 13. 6' tall. (yes that is correct).

Daugther = will be 16. Somewhere around 5'5" or 5' 6".

So, neither would be using a "junior" set.

I have looked at the following on line.

Wilson

Voit

Confidence

Tiger Shark

Again, I understand that these aren't top of the line or even middle of the pack clubs. I want just enough that they can go have fun without spending a ton of money. All of these are in the $150 - 180 range.

What would you suggest?

I'd like to take this thread in another direction.

I have two kids (son and daughter) who have expressed interest in playing golf. They both have birthdays in June. I would like to get them each a set of golf clubs. At this point, they are not serious about golf and will play a few times per year. So, I am not interested in spending a ton of money on these clubs. I want a starter set that will give them a chance to go play and get to know the game.

Son = Will be 13. 6' tall. (yes that is correct).

Daugther = will be 16. Somewhere around 5'5" or 5' 6".

So, neither would be using a "junior" set.

I have looked at the following on line.

Wilson

Voit

Confidence

Tiger Shark

Again, I understand that these aren't top of the line or even middle of the pack clubs. I want just enough that they can go have fun without spending a ton of money. All of these are in the $150 - 180 range.

What would you suggest?

Go to your area pawn shops. I started out with aKmart special set when I was 7. For the most part these will do what you need no matter which of the brands you've listed gets chosen. Again, I have said this about high end clubs and I believe this to be true on the lower end as well. Find a set that they find aesthetically pleasing. It's as good a start as any when picking clubs for a purely recreational golfer.
  • 2 weeks later...

I just picked up a used set of Ping Eye 2s and a Big Bertha driver for $35. Don't think I'll use them much. They'll be my "visitor's" set for when people come out of town to visit and need to borrow clubs.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd say this is as good a place as any, but I'm looking for some help on a swing issue.

My driver, 3/4 hybrids are all TaylorMade Burner's. When I miss hit my driver, it slices. When I hit my hybrids at all, they snap hook very badly. How is that possible, and what the heck is going on to cause that?

I'd say this is as good a place as any, but I'm looking for some help on a swing issue.

My driver, 3/4 hybrids are all TaylorMade Burner's. When I miss hit my driver, it slices. When I hit my hybrids at all, they snap hook very badly. How is that possible, and what the heck is going on to cause that?

Did you buy all of them together? It not and they are different years/models/not the exact "set", then it could be a club length issue. Perhaps your hybrids are a little too short.

Did you buy all of them together? It not and they are different years/models/not the exact "set", then it could be a club length issue. Perhaps your hybrids are a little too short.

I've seen you golf on TV, Obama. I don't think I want to take advice from you and your evil lefty swing.