Golf Club Recommendations?

Not really a short game drill but a buddy and I would always use the last 10 balls of a bucket and hit 3-4 iron punch shots at the 100 yd sign at our range. Not that I like practicing that but in the cases that I've needed a punch shot it makes it much easier.

For putting I like to put a tee in the ground and move about 10 ft. away from that. Putt back towards the tee to try and hit it. If you can hit that then you should be able to make more putts.

So do you guys have any weird little short game drills you do to keep things from getting boring? :lol:

Nice post on drills around the green. One thing I like to do (and I think you hit on) is when I have 3-5 balls on the fringe, I don't hit all 5 to the same hole on the practice green. I found if I do that, I would be way off on my first shot and easily adjust for the rest. That isn't reality on the course. You have to be able to judge the distance on your first try.

something for the short game on the range = Our range has a flag about 100 yards out. For me, that is the perfect pitching wedge shot. However, sometimes in a round you have to use a different club to hit the ball 100 yards. So, play a game and get creative. Take a bucket of balls and figure out you can get as close to that 100 yard mark with almost every club in your bag. Why? What if you are 100 yards from the green but you have a tree in front of you so you have to go under? You will need to bump it with a lower loft club but still have to go 100 yards. What if it's a pine tree that you have to lob it over so you have to use a gap wedge or a pitching wedge to get it over the tree and to the green?

I play from behind trees and in the rough way too much to have to rely on perfect shots all the time.

The scramble drill you described is a fun game to actually play with someone else. Have a competition to see who can get up and down. Pick a starting point around the practice green. Each drop a ball. Now, $1 per try. If I get up and down and you don't, you owe me $1.

It adds pressure to the practice and it adds fun too.

• Fire 1

I'm happy to say I shot a 74 yesterday in some tough conditions at a qualifier and grabbed a spot in the Kansas Amateur.

When I'm really practicing, I will follow a routine published by the Wake Forest golf team. I will try to find it and post it.

• Fire 1

I'm happy to say I shot a 74 yesterday in some tough conditions at a qualifier and grabbed a spot in the Kansas Amateur.

When I'm really practicing, I will follow a routine published by the Wake Forest golf team. I will try to find it and post it.

Congrats, man! Beautiful day for golf. :thumbs:

Man, I played 18 on Friday for the first time in a couple months. It was a very up and down round. One concerning thing is that I have developed the shanks with my wedges from 50-70 yards out. I might be getting "too handsy", but I am leaving the club wide open at impact, and the ball goes to a 45 degree angle to the right. I will have to hit the range to figure that out. UGH!!!

Wake Forest Golf Team Practice Regimen

Putting

2ft - 5 balls

3ft - 5 balls

4ft - 5 balls

5ft - 5 balls

6ft - 5 balls

Eyes Closed

3ft - 3 balls

4ft - 3 balls

5ft - 3 balls

6ft - 3 balls

Distance Control

10ft - 3 balls

15ft - 3 balls

20ft - 3 balls

25ft - 3 balls

Chipping

3 yards off the green

SW, PW, 9, 8, 7, 6

5 balls with each club

6 yards off the green

SW, PW, 9, 8

5 balls with each club

9 yards off the green

SW, PW, 9

5 balls with each club

Pitching

10 yards - 5 balls with SW, 5 balls with PW

20 yards - 5 balls with SW, 5 balls with PW

30 yards - 5 balls with SW, 5 balls with PW

40 yards - 5 balls with SW, 5 balls with PW

50 yards - 5 balls with SW, 5 balls with PW

60 yards - 5 balls with SW, 5 balls with PW

Bunkers

30 balls - different lie, distance, and target each shot

Full Swing (make a "setup" with alignment sticks)

9, 7, 5, FW, Driver - 5 balls each

40 balls with a certain "swing thought" and your choice of club

Wake Forest Golf Team Practice Regimen

Putting

2ft - 5 balls

3ft - 5 balls

4ft - 5 balls

5ft - 5 balls

6ft - 5 balls

Eyes Closed

3ft - 3 balls

4ft - 3 balls

5ft - 3 balls

6ft - 3 balls

Distance Control

10ft - 3 balls

15ft - 3 balls

20ft - 3 balls

25ft - 3 balls

Chipping

3 yards off the green

SW, PW, 9, 8, 7, 6

5 balls with each club

6 yards off the green

SW, PW, 9, 8

5 balls with each club

9 yards off the green

SW, PW, 9

5 balls with each club

Pitching

10 yards - 5 balls with SW, 5 balls with PW

20 yards - 5 balls with SW, 5 balls with PW

30 yards - 5 balls with SW, 5 balls with PW

40 yards - 5 balls with SW, 5 balls with PW

50 yards - 5 balls with SW, 5 balls with PW

60 yards - 5 balls with SW, 5 balls with PW

Bunkers

30 balls - different lie, distance, and target each shot

Full Swing (make a "setup" with alignment sticks)

9, 7, 5, FW, Driver - 5 balls each

40 balls with a certain "swing thought" and your choice of club

Wow, that's quite a workout. No wonder WF has one of the top golf programs in the nation. That's like 250 shots. Must take 90 minutes to a couple of hours to do all that.

Wow, that's quite a workout. No wonder WF has one of the top golf programs in the nation. That's like 250 shots. Must take 90 minutes to a couple of hours to do all that.

It is quite a bit of shots/time, especially if you have a wife/kids. Luckily, I have neither. :wasted

Maybe break it up over 2 days a week. Do half of each category each session.

Biggest problem is finding a place to practice 25-100 yard pitch shots. Hard to get a feel shooting at arbitrary clumps of grass on the range. Not enough room around the putting green.

The place where I play has a large rectangle of grass for the greens on the middle of the course, maybe 30 yds by 40 yds in size. I think the grounds keeper uses it in case he needs to transplant grass to a trouble spot on the greens. (Although the greens never seem to have any trouble spots.) The rectangle is in the middle of the course between a couple tee boxes, surrounded by rough. The course doesn't mind if you walk out there with a bucket of balls and practice pitching onto it. Perfect place to practice pitches of < 50 yds. I haven't used it in a couple of years. Really should though.

Biggest problem is finding a place to practice 25-100 yard pitch shots. Hard to get a feel shooting at arbitrary clumps of grass on the range. Not enough room around the putting green.

Not sure where you live, but there are courses that have separate short game practice areas. You can also go to a park or school grounds and practice pitching to a backstop.