Shatel: Pelini a point of pride for Nebraska, minus all the points allowed

Eventually, Pelini will have to win or at least get a team to the national title if he wants to keep his job. I don't know the time frame for it, but I believe we're a university that still requires it's head coach to be capable of competing for and winning national titles.

Quite the bold statement to make without any time frame or qualifications. If he doesn't win or go to a National Championship, he will get fired. What? When? What if he's losing one game per year in this Final Four format we're going to? It's a ridiculous statement to make. Of course, if he goes 5-6 more years and is 6-6, that is a different story ... but then you can say he didn't win or go to a National Title so you are right. Nice.

If he is making playoff appearances that's one thing (admittedly, I forgot about the new format when I was typing my post). But, if you think a coach will keep his job after failing to get get over a hurdle, I think you're in for a surprise. Plenty of coaches get fired for being good and doing things the right way, but being incapable of clearing certain obstacles.

I still have confidence in Pelini and this is no way, shape, or form a "he better win it all this year or he's out" type of post. But, if for whatever reason, we don't clear this 10 win hurdle, we don't win at least a conference title soon, and we don't legitimately compete for a national title, even the song birds loving on his "doing things the right way mantra" will turn vicious. I don't think that is a ridiculous prognostication.

What comes first, success or recognition?

In regards to what?

The comment that was made was that on forgettable years we had forgettable players. IMO, it takes a successful team for fans to look back and say, "Wow, do you remember that guy? He was a great player."

Tom Novak disagrees.

What comes first, success or recognition?

In regards to what?

The comment that was made was that on forgettable years we had forgettable players. IMO, it takes a successful team for fans to look back and say, "Wow, do you remember that guy? He was a great player."

You have a point, though I think Suh would still be remembered for his play even if we'd won five or six games in '09.

Admittedly, I'm still not sure I understand what you're asking, but I'll take a stab at your question by rephrasing what I said. What I was trying to say was last year's defense was void of playmakers. We had guys that put together productive seasons or had shining moments (Compton and Martin come to mind), but we also had a lot of guys who were kind of like filler players. And by filler I mean they were good at their jobs, but nothing special, at least nothing special enough to make our defense noteworthy. We did have a pretty stingy pass defense, but even they got blown up when faced up against an NFL caliber passing attack. We also didn't play the most electric of passing offenses in the B1G, for whatever that's worth.

I'm honestly not trying to throw dirt on them, just pointing out that we need better playmakers, because last year's defensive talent (as I'm sure we'll all agree) didn't cut it.