Boston Marathon Explosions

Screw this guys rights. He's only been a legal citizen for only 7 months and pulls off an horrific event in a major city of Boston using bombs not far from New York City which suffered one of the worst tragedies in US history.

Our legal system is a joke after experiencing as a correctional officer for the last 7 years and not only did the city of Boston suffer from a horrific event but they'll be stuck paying for this pukes meals, cable and a roof over his head for decades.

No, he still has rights. Even a foreign national has rights under our system. If we disregard our system because we are mad, then they really have won. Our expectation of rights is the core of what makes the United States of America what it is. If we toss those rights out the window now, the slippery slope will really become a scary thing.

This was a criminal activity, not the actions of a foreign government, or organization. Read him his rights, let him have a lawyer, and make damn sure everything is done right. Cross the 'T's dot the 'i's and make damned sure this is an airtight case.

• Fire 3

Screw this guys rights. He's only been a legal citizen for only 7 months and pulls off an horrific event in a major city of Boston using bombs not far from New York City which suffered one of the worst tragedies in US history.

Our legal system is a joke after experiencing as a correctional officer for the last 7 years and not only did the city of Boston suffer from a horrific event but they'll be stuck paying for this pukes meals, cable and a roof over his head for decades.

No, he still has rights. Even a foreign national has rights under our system. If we disregard our system because we are mad, then they really have won. Our expectation of rights is the core of what makes the United States of America what it is. If we toss those rights out the window now, the slippery slope will really become a scary thing.

This was a criminal activity, not the actions of a foreign government, or organization. Read him his rights, let him have a lawyer, and make damn sure everything is done right. Cross the 'T's dot the 'i's and make damned sure this is an airtight case.

Agreed. This kid still deserves his rights. We've seen a terrible erosion of basic rights masked as "security" over the last decade. Bush started the trend, and all of Obama's "hope and change" bullsh#t was nothing but rhetoric. I have no illusions that our government would like any different with Kerry, Gore, or McCain in the Whitehouse during this timeframe. I just hope people wake the hell up, because we're giving away our rights and freedoms (hello 2nd and 4th amendments) for a false sense of security.

i wonder how many people here hate soviet russia, yet are so quick to throw away an individual's liberties just because it suits the gov't's needs (also, when does it not suit the gov't's needs?).

what i do not understand is why this is terrorism (which it is), but shooting up a movie theater or school is not?

i wonder how many people here hate soviet russia, yet are so quick to throw away an individual's liberties just because it suits the gov't's needs (also, when does it not suit the gov't's needs?).

what i do not understand is why this is terrorism (which it is), but shooting up a movie theater or school is not?

I'm wondering the same thing. Is it just because it was a bomb? Killing 3 people with a bomb is terrorism, but killing 20 kids with a gun is not. Sometimes the double standard verbage makes me feel like i'm taking crazy pills.

Agreed. This kid still deserves his rights. We've seen a terrible erosion of basic rights masked as "security" over the last decade. Bush started the trend, and all of Obama's "hope and change" bullsh#t was nothing but rhetoric. I have no illusions that our government would like any different with Kerry, Gore, or McCain in the Whitehouse during this timeframe. I just hope people wake the hell up, because we're giving away our rights and freedoms (hello 2nd and 4th amendments) for a false sense of security.

First of all there's already a thread for that. Second don't worry about you're 2nd amendment rights. Nobody wanted to take them away to begin with. But you don't need to worry either way because your representatives are most likely taken care of by the gun lobby.

Rachel Maddow discussing the Miranda rights exception, last used in the case of the underwear bomber.

LINK

“The Obama administration,” said Maddow, “has extended the reach of that public safety exemption, so it essentially can last longer to attend to the type of public safety threats that could accrue in terrorism cases.”

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev has not been arrested under enemy combatant status, but is currently on track for a federal trial within the civilian justice system.

“At some point he will be read his rights,” Maddow said. “He’s an American citizen.”

Former U.S. attorney Kendall Coffey on another aspect of this:

... “the administration may see it as something that’s needed to preserve civilian jury trials.”

Clarified a lot for me. The delay is a temporary one allowed for by an exception not strictly related to terrorism, but instead to provide for cases where immediate public safety is in question. Hell of a gray area, although I would say that these are not efforts at eroding the constitution, but rather to provide new legal tools to deal with incidents that are evolving in nature.

Without this exception, as I understand it, authorities may be denied the ability to legally ask any questions before an attorney is present, which can present unacceptable delays in these matters. My question now would be, given that no question is going to occur during this time he's in the hospital, is he going to be read his Miranda rights and have an appointed attorney brought in by the time he's healthy? It seems the public safety exclusion by then would no longer apply, right?

The constitutional discussion is absolutely an important one though and I'm glad there are such vigilant watchdogs on this.

And they haven't already won by bombing our country but lets top it off by letting him go through our screwed up legal system to come out of it by screwing American citizens again by having us pay for his meals, cable, bedding, medication, clothing and a roof over his head for years to come. Even if this kid was sentenced to the Death Penalty it could take years to execute him. Not only do the families of the decease suffer but they'll suffer again once they fork out their tax dollars to get the douche who killed their relatives alive.

I said the same thing for the guy that shot up the theater in Colorado and I'll say it again for whoever decides to take it into their own hands to end someone else's life. These POS's who kill innocent people deserve their rights taken away. Screw the law, screw the legal system, just take them out in the pasture and take care of business. Is it morally right? Hell no but I don't care. Why should we have to suffer and fork over our tax dollars to keep these criminals alive for years?

A simple statement regarding the Navy SEAL presence would suffice.

You actually believe those are Navy SEALs? Why make it so obvious?

Sorry, I meant to say to confirm or deny or whatever. Not that it would stop anybody from believing otherwise.