***Official NBA Playoff Discussion Thread***

Mavric

And the series gets even better. Amazing job by the Pacers, and with the exception of the last 3 seconds of game 1, Spoelstra is getting COMPLETELY out-coached by Vogel. That, combined with the size of Hibbert and West inside and the emergence of Paul George as the most improved player of the year make the Pacers a tough team to beat.

I get tired of the hatred of officials.

You have, in my opinion, the best athletes of any sport playing in a confined area. Only three people are there to call the game. These athletes block much of the court and move at a speed that makes it nearly impossible to discern contact. Then, you throw in the fact that they are flopping and trying to deceive you.

Considering all of this, I think the officials actually do a damned good job.

These officials are getting more crap than the players and coaches that made grave mistakes.

Vogel shouldn't have taken Hibbert out TWICE late in Game 3. LeBron shouldn't have threw a knee, or Wade danced around only using one dribble late in Game 4.

Nooooooooo, lets chastise the officials because they actually made the correct call!

• Fire 1

You have, in my opinion, the best athletes of any sport playing in a confined area. Only three people are there to call the game. These athletes block much of the court and move at a speed that makes it nearly impossible to discern contact. Then, you throw in the fact that they are flopping and trying to deceive you.

These officials are getting more crap than the players and coaches that made grave mistakes.

Vogel shouldn't have taken Hibbert out TWICE late in Game 3. LeBron shouldn't have threw a knee, or Wade danced around only using one dribble late in Game 4.

Nooooooooo, lets chastise the officials because they actually made the correct call!

I almost never, ever place blame on officials. Having reffed myself, I understand the difficulty of it on a small level. But the end of Game 4 was....suspicious. To say the least.

I almost never, ever place blame on officials. Having reffed myself, I understand the difficulty of it on a small level. But the end of Game 4 was....suspicious. To say the least.

Wade's travel was indeed a travel, and Lebron's screen (although I admit it was nitpicky for that time in the game) was a foul. This is what Qmany is saying. It's not right when making the right call gets chastised just because it's against a prima donna team in crunch time.

I've also seen games in the final minutes that the refs were afraid to make any calls, and the team that is winning usually just mugs the other team constantly. I'd rather see the calls be made.

Wade's travel was indeed a travel, and Lebron's screen (although I admit it was nitpicky for that time in the game) was a foul. This is what Qmany is saying. It's not right when making the right call gets chastised just because it's against a prima donna team in crunch time.

I've also seen games in the final minutes that the refs were afraid to make any calls, and the team that is winning usually just mugs the other team constantly. I'd rather see the calls be made.

By the rulebook they were the right calls, but by actual practice they weren't. Both of those plays are ignored about 999 times out of 1,000. I agree it's not right when making the right call gets chastized in those situations, but it is right to chastise when it's completely and entirely inconsistent with the way that game, series, season and era of the NBA gets officiated.

That botched shot clock violation swung the momentum big time. It was pretty obvious that the ball hit the rim. Shot clock reset, Indiana gets offensive rebound, Hansbrough makes easy layup, Indiana goes up by 11 and the game is never close again. Pretty confident of that. Instead, Hansbrough layup is called off, officials don't view the replay, Chalmers gets a weak foul called, makes two free throws and momentum swings to Miami.

By the rulebook they were the right calls, but by actual practice they weren't. Both of those plays are ignored about 999 times out of 1,000. I agree it's not right when making the right call gets chastized in those situations, but it is right to chastise when it's completely and entirely inconsistent with the way that game, series, season and era of the NBA gets officiated.

There's not a lot of argument to be made against that. I guess it upsets me a little less just because I don't want Miami to win :P

The thing about the NBA and the game of basketball in general that makes it incredibly difficult to officiate comes down to basically 2 things:

1) Like others have said, the speed of the game

2) The high level of subjectivity with the calls. Many of the calls are hard to decipher where the line gets drawn at. What's a travel and what's not? What's a foul and what's not? A person could read the entire rule book and not gain a firm understanding of when a call needs to be made. Is there anything that can be done about that? Probably not without ruining the game.

There's not a lot of argument to be made against that. I guess it upsets me a little less just because I don't want Indiana to win :P

The thing about the NBA and the game of basketball in general that makes it incredibly difficult to officiate comes down to basically 2 things:

2) The high level of subjectivity with the calls. Many of the calls are hard to decipher where the line gets drawn at. What's a travel and what's not? What's a foul and what's not? A person could read the entire rule book and not gain a firm understanding of when a call needs to be made. Is there anything that can be done about that? Probably not without ruining the game.

You're rooting for Miami?

There's not a lot of argument to be made against that. I guess it upsets me a little less just because I don't want Indiana to win :P

You're rooting for Miami?

Whoops. changed it, I meant Miami.