The worst NFL Draft for Nebraska since... ?

Something I heard, maybe something that was posted on this board, was that Heard was asked to learn the slot position to get him on the field and that was the final straw for him. Heard wanted to be THE guy, but with Abdullah in front of him since they got to Nebraska, he wasn't going to get that chance. So he left.

If that's the case, I don't blame him for being upset. If I'm a player and I'm consistently being asked to change positions and I'm not playing the position I want to, I'm frustrated. But, I genuinely believe the coaches are trying to do what's best for him. He's lucky he got the carries he did this year. If Burkhead had stayed healthy the whole year things could have been even worse for Heard.

This is purely speculation, but it sounds like entitlement issues, like he feels he deserves to be "the" guy. That's just not how these things work. Everybody has to start somewhere and if players outperforming you, they're outperforming you.

Again, I don't know if that's the case and hate to speculate, it's just what it sounds like.

Yes, he was the DC at Nebraska, he had one win against a top 25 team and lost to two unranked teams and spanked soundly by KState, if I remember correctly. Long time ago. But I remember him charging on the field trying to get in a fight with Coach Snyder due to a sound ass woopin. Les was the master mind at LSU, Bo did a good job, but did not have the training to be at the levels he was. Hard worker, dedicated gets you promotions sometimes. Still in over his head and he has even said as much. Takes time, I still hope he gets it.

Yes, he was the DC at Nebraska, he had one win against a top 25 team and lost to two unranked teams and spanked soundly by KState, if I remember correctly.

Was that a reflection of Bo's ability solely? Or a reflection of the current state of the program as a whole at that time?

My point is that coaches have to get their start somewhere. I'm not disagreeing with you in saying that Bo was in over his head as a first time HC. He probably was. He also had quite a bit of holdover talent from Callahan, that if we're honest, probably saved his job in his 1st 3-4 years. Bo had been coaching football of some sort for a long time before getting this Head Coach job. I hate making this comparison becuase we really have to stop doing this, but I believe Bo has nearly twice the amount of experience as Tom Osborne did when Tom was promoted to Head Coach in '73. Heck, Tom was only 2-3 years removed from being a graduate assistant, right?

Les Miles while a good coach, is not this Dr. Evil mastermind folks make him out to be. The guy is full-blown dingy. With the talent he has, he should be competing with Saban for best ever dynasty right now, but his boneheadedness has cost them numerous times. I dont what happened to Les between Ok St and LSU, but I dont remember his improving Cowboy teams acting so discombobulated at times. Supposedly, Bo's been heard saying that Les Miles's practices are a non-organized mess of crap and that LSU wastes more talent than Nebraska would know what to do with.