The worst NFL Draft for Nebraska since... ?

I was about to get upset, but then I realized, it's the Bengals....

They haven't been remotely noteworthy since Kenny Anderson and Cris Collinsworth...

They have actually been making the playoffs recently though.

yeah, making the playoffs is ok, but once you get there, you should try and win...

This draft showed several things or things one can infer:

a) incredible lack of talent

b) incredible lack of developing players

c) great coaching in that we won 10 games

d) the B1G is a horrific conference at best

e) we have a long, long way to go

Thoughts?

All true except for ©. If that were true,( a), (b), (d), and (e) would not exist.

Bull. Really getting tired of coach bashing.

T_O_B

I'm excited that Urban Meyer is at OSU because maybe his quality of recruiting will help the rest of the league as the competition gets better.

As much as I dislike the guy, this is true. His abilities will be a fire under the ass for the rest of the conference, at least until Brady or Bo start to beat him a couple times and he decides to try his luck in the Big 12 or Pac12.

IIRC, Brady already has 5 of the top 150 for commits in 2014. Seem to also remember him saying some of the scholarships would be year to year.

Agree with it lighting a fire. Good article about NU becoming great because of OU and trying to compete with the FL schools. TO upped his game to keep up with and ultimately beat the best.

All scollies are year to year.

T_O_B

I'm excited that Urban Meyer is at OSU because maybe his quality of recruiting will help the rest of the league as the competition gets better.

As much as I dislike the guy, this is true. His abilities will be a fire under the ass for the rest of the conference, at least until Brady or Bo start to beat him a couple times and he decides to try his luck in the Big 12 or Pac12.

IIRC, Brady already has 5 of the top 150 for commits in 2014. Seem to also remember him saying some of the scholarships would be year to year.

Agree with it lighting a fire. Good article about NU becoming great because of OU and trying to compete with the FL schools. TO upped his game to keep up with and ultimately beat the best.

T_O_B

Saw where some, NU included, do the four years as does OSU now. Something like 8 of 10 B1G schools now do. Bama now complaining that it is a PR ploy to entice recruits. IIRC, SEC started with Auburn and UF wanting to go the 4 yr route as well in SEC.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7528614/some-big-ten-offering-4-year-scholarships

http://www.rollbamaroll.com/2013/2/14/3986688/gumption-the-four-year-sham-and-sympathy-trolling

T_O_B

Saw where some, NU included, do the four years as does OSU now. Something like 8 of 10 B1G schools now do. Bama now complaining that it is a PR ploy to entice recruits. IIRC, SEC started with Auburn and UF wanting to go the 4 yr route as well in SEC.

http://espn.go.com/c...ar-scholarships

http://www.rollbamar...mpathy-trolling

A PR ploy to take care of a student athlete for 4 years as you promised to his parents in his own livingroom. Ok.

We dont really give a damn about Jack Hoffman either. :rolleyes:

Are there any rules regarding pulling a football scholarship and awarding another scholarship? For example, could a school provide a 4 year scholarship by pulling the football scholarship and providing a track scholarship or a hardship scholarship? What happens when a players is injured? If a player has a career ending injury and there is no possibility of ever playing football again, does the SEC pull the scholarship? Does the NCAA allow another type of scholarship? Collegiate sports seems to be a tough world.

But look at the year after each of these three recent horrendous drafts. 1970, 2009 and 2010... pretty good results.

I can't speak for '69, but the April '09 draft and the April '13 draft included two of the least talented Nebraska teams. This year, these guys were part of Pelini's first class and with the exception of a couple of players, it sucked. I don't blame him for that given he was a coach in transition and had to do the best with what he could. Our "best" player recruited in '08 was Steinkuhler and he had a relatively underwhelming career here.

Nebraska is certainly a more talented team this year even if they're not as experienced.

But look at the year after each of these three recent horrendous drafts. 1970, 2009 and 2010... pretty good results.

I can't speak for '69, but the April '09 draft and the April '13 draft included two of the least talented Nebraska teams. This year, these guys were part of Pelini's first class and with the exception of a couple of players, it sucked. I don't blame him for that given he was a coach in transition and had to do the best with what he could. Our "best" player recruited in '08 was Steinkuhler and he had a relatively underwhelming career here.

Nebraska is certainly a more talented team this year even if they're not as experienced.

Well, the 68 season was the 2nd of back to back 6-4 seasons that nearly ended in a firing of Bob Devaney. So, yes, it seems to be a pattern that you cant win big without great talent.

Worst draft for the Huskers since 1962.

I agree with whoever previously suggested that it suggests good coaching, because we've been able to win 10 games with second tier talent.

Also agree with whoever said it meant bad coaching, as a fifth year coach should not be presiding over this kind of talent drain.

The Huskers used to run an offense that didn't help our offensive players' chances, as there wasn't a lot of evidence that our quarterbacks could throw, our receivers could run pro-style routes, and our linemen could pass block. But they got drafted anyway because there was respect for the program. Every offensive player coming out of Nebraska knew how to block. Every defensive player knew how to tackle. There wasn't a big risk for a GM to select a Nebraska player.

It's really weird to see us falling off the map this way. It's likely to get better. But it's still weird. I simply don't understand how the Pelini Brothers got so little defensive talent in the pipeline.

Guy, I think it's a combination of 1) a lack of talent, 2) injuries, 3) a lack of depth and 4) solid coaching. As evidenced by this last season and draft, the '08 class was not a great class. Considering we won as many games as we did is, quite frankly, astonishing. And with the exception of last year's class, most of our classes have been above average, but by no means great.

We've also had a lot of problems with health along the d-line, then had to ask inexperienced guys to step up when they just weren't ready and probably could have benefited from riding the pine a bit longer. Lastly, while I think Pelini and staff are getting better, they're not a great coaching staff and they're still relatively young. He's not like a tenured and experienced Bill Snyder who can take his averaged-ranked-recruiting classes of 70 or worse and turn them into Big 12 champs. It's rare for a coach to jump in and consistently win big over a long period of time, and it's even more challenging for a young coach.

I still have high hopes for Pelini, but I also think hiring him was signing like signing a very long contract.