Huskerboard Favorite Scotch or Whiskey Thread

I really wish I could get into drinking them straight but I just cant! Is it something that is acquired? I mix the heck out of them!

Maybe start by filling the glass completely full of ice with only a little booze. Then slowly cut back on the ice until you have just a couple cubes for coldness. Either that, or just keep mixing the heck out of the stuff. Nothing wrong with that.

I really wish I could get into drinking them straight but I just cant! Is it something that is acquired? I mix the heck out of them!

nuance was right. ice is good because it is cold and it waters it down, both helping make it more palatable. you could also start with some high end stuff (glenlivet) and work your way down to a nice happy medium (j&b). i liked cutty sark as my low end scotch, but even know it tastes a lot better when a few ice cubes melt in it. it is tough to beat jameson for a good value that i can drink neat. i had a friend that would drink evan williams straight from the bottle and insisted that it was an acquired taste. that was pretty extreme.

it does just come down to taste and even mood. sometimes at bars i will have a scotch that i really like, but when i bring home a bottle it is not as good as i remembered it.

Maybe start by filling the glass completely full of ice with only a little booze. Then slowly cut back on the ice until you have just a couple cubes for coldness. Either that, or just keep mixing the heck out of the stuff. Nothing wrong with that.

That's a good idea.

Or try cutting back on your mixer a little bit each time. Have to be careful though, since your drinks will be stronger.

That's a good idea.

Or try cutting back on your mixer a little bit each time. Have to be careful though, since your drinks will be stronger.

the only thing i do with mixed drinks is drive.

(that is a joke, please do not drink and drive).

That's a good idea.

the only thing i do with mixed drinks is drive.

(that is a joke, please do not drink and drive).

Wait--isn't that one way you get clients? When people drink and drive? :lol:

Drinking straight is def. acquired. Start with ice. It'll be disgusting at first, but then you get past that and learn all the flavors you're tasting and don't notice the alcohol burn anymore. Just takes a couple of bottles! (not all at once, of course)

• 1 month later...

Any scotch fans in the Omaha area need to go to the Dundee Dell. At last count they had seven hundred fifty three different single malts and most are available by the peg or dram. Any place with a collection big enough to require a rolling ladder is OK by me. (Best fish and chips in town, too!)

Dundee-Dell-Great-Wall-of-Scotch-photo-copyright-Cheri-Loughlin.jpg

http://www.dundeedell.com/index.html

homer-drooling-o.gif

Dat be totally true, although the Joe Tess Fish House is good too.