Lineman Height

Usually the trade-off is long arms that make for a good pass blocking left tackle. It isn't too tall if he can play with good knee bend.

It is usually far too tall for a DL. They generally get blown off the ball with poor leverage even if they are human planets. Gholston was a freak that he could get away with it at 6'7" and it still cost him in the running game.

I was reading about the new players this year, and I noticed offensive lineman David Knevel is 6'9". Is this too tall for OL? Will he block the QB's vision? Would he be better off as a DL so he could bat down passes?

First question: No.

Second question: As long as he is doing he job correctly, no.

Third question: Absolutely, no.

I was reading about the new players this year, and I noticed offensive lineman David Knevel is 6'9". Is this too tall for OL? Will he block the QB's vision? Would he be better off as a DL so he could bat down passes?

Being from New England, take a peek at the Pats two bookends at tackle. Solder at 6/8" and Vollmer at 6'9".

So No, No, No.

Being from New England, take a peek at the Pats two bookends at tackle. Solder at 6/8" and Vollmer at 6'9".

So No, No, No.

Their QB is also 6'4". Our tallest will be a 6'2" true freshman. So vision could be an issue, but it's just one of those things they adjust to.

Top five paid NFL O-Linemen LINK Note: The SI article listing the highest paid must be from two or three years ago. Some of those guys are retired now.

1. 6'6" Joe Thomas, OT Cleveland

2. 6'5" Alan Faneca, OG Arizona

3. 6'5 Walter Jones, OT Seattle

4. 6'6" Leonard Davis, OG San Fran

5. 6'6" Eric Steinbach, OG Cleveland

Maybe 6'9" is too tall? None of the top NFL OL are that tall. Then again, none of them are under 6'5" either.

i think it just depends on the agility of the player. if he can play his position well, i think his height will be an advantage. can you imagine a 6-4,6-6 defensive end trying to get around much less see over him,to get to the quarterback. in conclusion huge potential comes with huge size

6'9 will let him pack on a lot of weight while remaining leaner (his 320 would be much leaner than say a 320 lb Mike Caputo at like 5'10, lol). It's not like he'll be standing straight up and raising his arms or anything. Shouldn't pose any issue at all.

Russell Wilson's line at Wisconsin was 6'7" average IIRC, and he's under 6'. It didn't seem to affect his throwing ability.

Standing in the pocket, you'd probably have to be like 7'10", or something wacky like that, to actually see over guys that tall. It's all about passing lanes, never understood the obsession with wanting QBs to be a certain height.

Russell Wilson's line at Wisconsin was 6'7" average IIRC, and he's under 6'. It didn't seem to affect his throwing ability.

Standing in the pocket, you'd probably have to be like 7'10", or something wacky like that, to actually see over guys that tall. It's all about passing lanes, never understood the obsession with wanting QBs to be a certain height.

Think about the trajectory of the ball though, Drew Brees has to throw the ball different then Tom Brady in order to clear the linemen. Also it's a little easier to see around helmets than it is shoulder pads.