Turnover Battle

The turnover margin problem falls on the shoulders of the defense as much as it does the offense.... The past few years our 'd' has been horrible at forcing turnovers....

Exactly. Had we had a decent front 7, we would have seen more INT's this year too.

I love it when people say that turnovers have been an issue since Pelini has been here. Yes, they have been an issue, but they have been an issue far before Pelini was even a DC here.

Bingo. This the second decade of crap like this. Hell, there would be another Crystal Football in the case if they could have controlled the ball in 99

Punts rarely get blocked now in general because teams don't leave their punters in the back by themselves.

We don't even try to block punts. Keeping blockers in to protect the punter is nothing new.... We set up for returns, and it rarely pays off....

Thing is the rare times we have gone for the block we've tended to run into the punter. Need to either practice rushing the punter much more and go for it more or not go at all. Returns really got hurt by the muffs last season. When we weren't dropping the ball we were letting them go or more worried about just fielding the ball cleanly than getting a good return.

Martinez had the most turnovers (20 himself) on the team. As bad as that is, it's much worse in my opinion because he had many more fumbles than the official 20 lost because the Huskers recovered a high percentage of his fumbles... in my opinion, turnovers are the single biggest issue by far needing fixed going into this 2013 season! Stupid self-inflicted penalties due to lack of discipline/focus are second on the list IMO. If we can cut our T.O. margin by 2/3 this year, I think it would equal to another 2 wins on the year? Note: Martinez did do a much better job not fumbling against the Georgia Bulldogs... I noticed he covered the ball up using both arms when running and engaged in contact! He needs to protect that ball with both hands when running, especially at first when contact is most likely to happen, and then once in the open field, when he wants to turn on the jets, he can transfer the ball to whichever hand he wants and take it home!

Martinez had the most turnovers (20 himself) on the team. As bad as that is, it's much worse in my opinion because he had many more fumbles than the official 20 lost because the Huskers recovered a high percentage of his fumbles... in my opinion, turnovers are the single biggest issue by far needing fixed going into this 2013 season! Stupid self-inflicted penalties due to lack of discipline/focus are second on the list IMO. If we can cut our T.O. margin by 2/3 this year, I think it would equal to another 2 wins on the year? Note: Martinez did do a much better job not fumbling against the Georgia Bulldogs... I noticed he covered the ball up using both arms when running and engaged in contact! He needs to protect that ball with both hands when running, especially at first when contact is most likely to happen, and then once in the open field, when he wants to turn on the jets, he can transfer the ball to whichever hand he wants and take it home!

I have trouble rewatching the losses and was too wrapped-up in the bowl to notice at the time but if TM has actually learned to protect the ball better when running it will go far. We put the ball on the turf way too much last season. Part of taking the next step is to quit being our own worst enemy with fumbles, picks, and penalties. Look at what Snyder does in Manhattan with a team that just plays solid, disciplined ball.

The turnover margin problem falls on the shoulders of the defense as much as it does the offense.... The past few years our 'd' has been horrible at forcing turnovers....

Not really. We were 43rd in the country in turnovers gained and 118th in turnovers lost. I'm not sure how you can say it's just as much as the defense's problem when the offense is second to last in the country. :dunno

The biggest difference between the Osborne teams with average to poor turnover ratio is what happened after the turnover. Our defense was so good back then that we rarely got hurt after we turned the ball over.

Our defense has been terrible the past two years. Couple a poor defense with unlucky situational turnovers and each turnover seemingly changed the entire game. Perfect examples are the UCLA and Georgia games but you could add a few more (even a couple wins) to the list.

Not really. We were 43rd in the country in turnovers gained and 118th in turnovers lost. I'm not sure how you can say it's just as much as the defense's problem when the offense is second to last in the country. :dunno

Turnovers gained:

#1 Oregon - 40

#48 Nebraska - 23

#118 Arkansas - 12

#123 USF - 9

Turnovers Lost:

#1 Ohio - 10

#48 OU - 20

#122 Nebraska - 35

#124 Idaho - 39

Turnover Margin:

#1 Oregon - (+21)

#48 Wisconsin - (+3)

#108 Nebraska - (-12)

#124 USF - (-20)

The difference in margin (turnovers gained or lost) is almost identical. It's on both the offense and defense.

Turnovers gained:

#1 Oregon - 40

#48 Nebraska - 23

#118 Arkansas - 12

#123 USF - 9

Turnovers Lost:

#1 Ohio - 10

#48 OU - 20

#122 Nebraska - 35

#124 Idaho - 39

Turnover Margin:

#1 Oregon - (+21)

#48 Wisconsin - (+3)

#108 Nebraska - (-12)

#124 USF - (-20)

The difference in margin (turnovers gained or lost) is almost identical. It's on both the offense and defense.

Ummm. What?

I'm not exactly sure why you posted four seemingly random teams in each of those three categories, or what on earth your explanation is supposed to mean. But our defense is 48th in forcing turnovers, our offense is 122nd in turning it over. While of course the defense is partially responsible for our 108th best turnover margin, anyone with a 1st grade diploma can tell you it's primarily because of the offense.

Turnovers gained:

#1 Oregon - 40

#48 Nebraska - 23

#118 Arkansas - 12

#123 USF - 9

Turnovers Lost:

#1 Ohio - 10

#48 OU - 20

#122 Nebraska - 35

#124 Idaho - 39

Turnover Margin:

#1 Oregon - (+21)

#48 Wisconsin - (+3)

#108 Nebraska - (-12)

#124 USF - (-20)

Ummm. What?

I'm not exactly sure why you posted four seemingly random teams in each of those three categories, or what on earth your explanation is supposed to mean. But our defense is 48th in forcing turnovers, our offense is 122nd in turning it over. While of course the defense is partially responsible for our 108th best turnover margin, anyone with a 1st grade diploma can tell you it's primarily because of the offense.

Best, worst, average, and NU's position in each stat. Whether we were 30th or 60th can be a difference of two or three turnovers.

Turnovers gained:

#1 Oregon - 40

#48 Nebraska - 23

#118 Arkansas - 12

#123 USF - 9

Turnovers Lost:

#1 Ohio - 10

#48 OU - 20

#122 Nebraska - 35

#124 Idaho - 39

Turnover Margin:

#1 Oregon - (+21)

#48 Wisconsin - (+3)

#108 Nebraska - (-12)

#124 USF - (-20)

Ummm. What?

Best, worst, average, and NU's position in each stat. Whether we were 30th or 60th can be a difference of two or three turnovers.

So you're supposed to just discredit that difference because it doesn't seem like a lot? And we were still 108th in margin, which is 15 worse than average (if your stats are right). So where does the 30-60 thing come in?