Online Internet Sales Tax

That's actually not a tornado. It's just a rotating wall cloud, out of which a tornado could form, but not necessarily will form. Kinda like a localized hurricane, I guess.

I've lived in the Great Plains for over 40 years and I've never seen a tornado, either.

That's actually not a tornado. It's just a rotating wall cloud, out of which a tornado could form, but not necessarily will form. Kinda like a localized hurricane, I guess.

I've lived in the Great Plains for over 40 years and I've never seen a tornado, either.

Are you sure? Your video apparently showed a tornado funnel hidden behind heavy rain and dust.

Are you sure? Your video apparently showed a tornado funnel hidden behind heavy rain and dust.

Yep. That's a picture made into a gif by some photoshop artist. The original picture is part of a great series of pics taken by Mike Hollingshead in 2004. You can find the originals of this storm, where he confirms it was just a supercell, not a tornado, HERE.

I think it's a good thing.

The taxes have always existed, but the buy has had the responsibility to pay the tax (which doesn't happen). States need the revenue. This just helps people follow the law by making the merchant collect what is owed.

I really don't mind the sales tax deal for online stuff, maybe a standard 5% across the board for every purchase, and whatever state it is shipped to gets the electronic payment. But how technologically possible is it really to enforce this. Its the internet after all, it is almost impossible to stop companies from ignoring the law, or just changing the website to another country that doesn't enforce the tax.

I really don't mind the sales tax deal for online stuff, maybe a standard 5% across the board for every purchase, and whatever state it is shipped to gets the electronic payment. But how technologically possible is it really to enforce this. Its the internet after all, it is almost impossible to stop companies from ignoring the law, or just changing the website to another country that doesn't enforce the tax.

It ends up being decided by the zip code you punch in when setting up the shipping and payment. It ends up being very simple for the websites, as the tax part of it would get get rolled into the payment software. And companies failing to do so (assuming they exceed the $1mill in out of state sales limit on the bill) are begging for an IRS audit. And most companies are not going to move overseas to avoid making customers pay a sales tax for the state they live in.