Pray for the families in Moore Oklahoma

I was in the middle of the June 3rd 1980 twisters in Grand Island. It was a very scary situation so my heart goes out to these people. It devistates your life.

I remember that outbreak. Weren't there something like seven different tornadoes that hit GI that day, like some kind of swarm?

Not much beyond a specially designed unit is going to withstand an EF5 if you take a direct hit from the core winds. It's not just the wind, it's also the grinder effect of all the dirt and debris. Outside the core, though, you'll get damage tailing off through the rest of the scale. All you can do is get to the safest spot you can and hope you don't take a hit from the core (or get unlucky with many of the other strongly localized wind anomalies that spawn around strong tornadoes).

And Husker 37, I don't see any reason to feel guilty. You weren't endangering anyone but yourself, and I doubt you were cheering on a tornado destroying homes or towns. They're a force of nature and nobody can stop them, so those who find interest in them might as well indulge themselves.

Thousands of houses destroyed but "only" 12 people killed in residencial area. Amazing. Granted, lots of houses equipped with shelters but at least half of them no shelters at all. My co-worker used to live in Moore said his wife (now ex) survived in 1999 EF-5 tornado.....direct path, total destruction. She curling down on the laundry room slab, protect pillow (It reminds me of old atom bomb drill - "duck and cover") and one hand grabbed and tightly hold washing machine PVC drainage pipe. The only injuries was broken foot and minor scrapes, mostly legs.

Another miracle story

http://www.cbsnews.c...h/?id=50147264n

Local news here just showed some cell phone video that was taken just after the tornado hit the Briarwood school. It was heart wrenching.

A coworker of mine lives in Moore and sustained some damage to his house. He didn't take a direct hit but part of his roof is gone and a tree fell into a bedroom. Crazy thing is, his corvette was in the garage. The garage sustained no damage. The corvette is still in pristine condition. But there are things under the corvette that he has no idea how it got there. Things under the tires themselves and he knows without a doubt this stuff was not there. He believes the car was lifted off the ground then set back down without sustaining any other damage.

Upside to all of this, I'm hearing the Warren Theatres will re-open Friday. Inside of the theatre sustained no damage and they have power restored.

Oklahoma don't have basements?

combination of ground water, poor city planning, huge boulders, and clay soil. Clay effected by shrinking, expanding or shifting soil...... depends on rain and/or temperature. And poor planning...... sewer and water lines was an average of only two or three feet deep.

They make above ground shelters. They make community shelters. It would be nice if the government would assist with stuff like this since it isn't cheap. I've even thought about installing something even with a pretty deep basement, and I live in MN where we don't have much for strong tornadoes. It's a shame that people wind up being sitting ducks like this. Even with a basement, in an F4 you're still screwed.

A lot of the community shelters (nursing homes, churches, schools, etc) want to lose that title. They claim there are huge liability issues involved if they allow anyone in. Plus experts warn against trying to drive to a community shelter during a tornado because people can lose sight of where it's at, traffic can quickly become congested causing traffic jams, and what happens if folks arrive at a community shelter to only find it full. Even safe rooms are no safe bet if faced with a tornado the size of what happened today. This was in every sense of the word, a tornado emergency where only below ground is the safest place to be.

The best course of action is a tornado shelter either in your garage or in the yard somewhere. Years past, the city/state would offer grants for people who want to install a shelter in their home. I suspect the state is going to come up with some more money for this program again.

Well i tell you what, with all the bs that government spends money on, I would think they could easily come up with the coin for stuff in regards to public safety.