What Season Would You Prefer?

Wisconsin came to play, and Nebraska decided to not make plays. That first TD was a prime example, Stafford is in position for a TFL or at least a minimal gain, Gordon slips him, and then slips Smith 20 yards downfield, TD. Plays that we had been making since OSU, we stopped making. it was a prefect storm that night, we'd just played our butts off 6 games straight with multiple draining comebacks, while Wisconsin had known about playing in the Championship game for 3-4 weeks. They could play their last couple games vanilla, and throw a couple of hours of game planning a week for us. And it didn't help that we lost Steinkuhler and Jackson the previous week either (though the outcome probably wouldn't have changed to much).

The bottom line though is we just got outplayed that night.

My point has never been if we got outplayed or whether they were better than us that night. Simply is about the double standards on this board. If someone is giving WISC the excuse that "the other team played out of their minds" as a serious justification for a loss then the same should be applied for us in the CCG. Which in most people's minds, is not gonna cut it. Using in within the context of a discussion to prove the original point discredits the beginning statement in my opinion.

• Fire 1

Wisconsin came to play, and Nebraska decided to not make plays. That first TD was a prime example, Stafford is in position for a TFL or at least a minimal gain, Gordon slips him, and then slips Smith 20 yards downfield, TD. Plays that we had been making since OSU, we stopped making. it was a prefect storm that night, we'd just played our butts off 6 games straight with multiple draining comebacks, while Wisconsin had known about playing in the Championship game for 3-4 weeks. They could play their last couple games vanilla, and throw a couple of hours of game planning a week for us. And it didn't help that we lost Steinkuhler and Jackson the previous week either (though the outcome probably wouldn't have changed to much).

The bottom line though is we just got outplayed that night.

My point has never been if we got outplayed or whether they were better than us that night. Simply is about the double standards on this board. If someone is giving WISC the excuse that "the other team played out of their minds" as a serious justification for a loss then the same should be applied for us in the CCG. Which in most people's minds, is not gonna cut it. Using in within the context of a discussion to prove the original point discredits the beginning statement in my opinion.

I completely agree with you. It was absolutely rotten that we lost the way we did and completely destroyed any good will we had built up over the previous 6 weeks, and completely overshadows everything the team did over the entire season.

I'm very passionate about the football team, but if/when we lose a game it doesn't affect me. The UCLA game pissed me off because we threw the game away, not because we gave up over 600 yards of offense. Offensive yards mean diddly squat if you aren't scoring at the end of drives.

The next thing the team needs to figure out is how to take a punch to the jaw that knocks you down and then get right back up against better teams. (the fumbles against USC and UGA in the Capital One, Miller's run, and every other time we lost big we can point to 1 or 2 plays that snowballed)

We are gonna be awful young. My expectation is we show improvement on defense each week. We are gonna be awful fast there this year and we have an offense that'll score 50 on anyone which should allow for some youthful mistakes. My thing is, we better grow up in a hurry. UCLA is going to be one hell of a team and they are coming to Lincoln in week three.

Michigan State is just a weird game to use as an example of improvement, since we played like crap for most of the game. And we made MSU's offense look better than they did in almost all their other games.

Wisconsin had a couple hard-fought OT losses to Ohio State and Penn State to end the season. But they were clearly playing better football in those games than they were at the beginning of the season. Ohio State and Penn State are quite a bit better than Northern Iowa or UTEP. And Penn State were playing out of their minds that night.

Any way you'd like to spin it, your other point was that we got worse. That's just simply not the case. Had we gotten worse than we were against UCLA we don't win many games in the BIG. So even if your opinion is that we didn't improve, you'll still have to show me how we got worse.

30-27 W

70-31 L

One team improved, the other didn't. True fact.

I'm missing the argument in the second paragraph. When did UTEP and UNI get into this? Didn't we beat PSU? I don't care how well they were playing that is no excuse to lose to them. We didn't, Wisconsin did.

If Wisconsin would have played like they were playing at the beginning of the year (UTEP, UNI) they would have gotten absolutely handled by Ohio State and Penn State. The point was they were playing better ball at the end of the year, we weren't.

Agian, 70-31.

And Penn State were playing out of their minds that night.

Penn St was playing that way all year long.

Couldn't the "the other team played really really good" excuse be applied to NU during the CCG????? If you allow them to use this excuse, it would be very hypocritical not to let it be used other places

Yes the other team played really good in the CCG. That doesn't excuse us from our pathetic performance. In the Wisconsin-PSU game both teams played great. Whole different situation.

Dude, if youre gonna base improvement or not on one game at the end of the season, then yes, you are right. But....

63-38 L, then

W

W

W

W

W

W.

We improved, at times greatly, but then just took a giant step back.

Playing 4 competitive quarter with Georgia-would you call that an improvement from the CCG or just the same?

In 1997, we were killin people and then escaped out in Columbia against an unranked Missouri team. then had to hold on again a few weeks later in Boulder against a Colorado team with a losing record. I guess that team regressed too.

Dude, if youre gonna base improvement or not on one game at the end of the season, then yes, you are right. But....

63-38 L, then

W

W

W

W

W

W.

Playing 4 competitive quarter with Georgia-would you call that an improvement from the CCG or just the same?

In most of those Ws, we were still absurdly turnover prone, and played pretty bad defense. Same exact things that hurt us against UCLA and Ohio State. In what areas did we really improve? We were exposed by every capable offense we played, and even made bad offenses look better than they were.

Just because we won those games doesn't mean we improved during the course of the season. They were mostly bad teams. Our 3 competitive quarters were mostly because Beck threw in a few new wrinkles I thought (that shovel pass worked great, for instance). But still, turnovers and bad defense, the same things that plagued us all year were too much to overcome.

63-38 L, then

W

W

W

W

W

W.

In most of those Ws, we were still absurdly turnover prone, and played pretty bad defense. Same exact things that hurt us against UCLA and Ohio State. In what areas did we really improve? We were exposed by every capable offense we played, and even made bad offenses look better than they were.

Just because we won those games doesn't mean we improved during the course of the season. They were mostly bad teams. Our 3 competitive quarters were mostly because Beck threw in a few new wrinkles I thought (that shovel pass worked great, for instance). But still, turnovers and bad defense, the same things that plagued us all year were too much to overcome.

My way of thinking is just different then yours i guess. If we didnt improve at all, there's no way we respond to the UCLA and Ohio St games with 6th straight wins, regardless who they are against. We probably go 3-3 at best. It may not have been consistent-no argument there-but there was improvement. I thought it was obvious at times. The way our defense played against Dennard Robinson a mere 2 weeks after getting gashed by Braxton Miller was not improvement at all in your eyes?

63-38 L, then

W

W

W

W

W

W.

My way of thinking is just different then yours i guess. If we didnt improve at all, there's no way we respond to the UCLA and Ohio St games with 6th straight wins, regardless who they are against. We probably go 3-3 at best. It may not have been consistent-no argument there-but there was improvement. I thought it was obvious at times. The way our defense played against Dennard Robinson a mere 2 weeks after getting gashed by Braxton Miller was not improvement at all in your eyes?

If you think the opponents are irrelevant then yes, our ways of thinking are different. If pretending every team we beat had an offense as good as UCLA makes you feel like our defense improved, knock yourself out.

We held Braxton for a while, then the flood gates opened. We held Denard for a while and as the gates were starting to spring some leaks, he went out of the game. So who knows how it would have turned out? Had he stayed in the game and we held him for all 4 quarters, then it would have been an improvement. At least for that one game. Playing decent ball here and there during the course of the season isn't the same thing as playing your best ball at the end of the year.

Personally, I wasn't surprised at all we got handled by Wisconsin. I was surprised by how out of hand it got, there's no excuse for that. But based on how they were playing in their games against OSU and PSU, and how we played against Iowa, I was saying all week the team that beat Wisconsin earlier in the year wasn't good enough to beat them again. It was an entirely different Wisconsin team at that point. It couldn't be the same ol' Nebraska team if we wanted to win. Unfortunately that same ol' Nebraska team showed up. That's what I mean when I say we didn't improve, and since I don't think Wisconsin improved enough to justify an ass-whooping like that, we probably regressed a little too.

Dude,

We're probably similar in our expectations for that CCG. It just didnt feel good to me leading up to that game. There just wasnt that feeling. Like I've said before, losing that game wouldnt have been a shocker, even if it was handily. But getting run out of the building in the first half was mind-boggling yes.

As far Denard goes, we have to realize that the only real drive He was able to piece together-the one on which he was injured at about the 10 yard line-was a direct result of that drive being kept alive by a sarcastaball penalty. I happen to thing the defense was doing a phenomenal job on Denard based on the previous experiences with quarterbacks of that skillset. Just my opinion I guess.

I guess I just dont see how the team did NOT make improvements throughout the year. I really dont they regressed over the whole body of work. Yes, the CCG was a huge step back, but still, I thought the overall season they improved after the Ohio St game. Obviously they had their blips here and there, but who doesnt.

Dude,

We're probably similar in our expectations for that CCG. It just didnt feel good to me leading up to that game. There just wasnt that feeling. Like I've said before, losing that game wouldnt have been a shocker, even if it was handily. But getting run out of the building in the first half was mind-boggling yes.

As far Denard goes, we have to realize that the only real drive He was able to piece together-the one on which he was injured at about the 10 yard line-was a direct result of that drive being kept alive by a sarcastaball penalty. I happen to thing the defense was doing a phenomenal job on Denard based on the previous experiences with quarterbacks of that skillset. Just my opinion I guess.

I guess I just dont see how the team did NOT make improvements throughout the year. I really dont they regressed over the whole body of work. Yes, the CCG was a huge step back, but still, I thought the overall season they improved after the Ohio St game. Obviously they had their blips here and there, but who doesnt.

F'n Alabama.... :hmmph

Dude,

says ESPN :rolleyes:

Dude,

says ESPN :rolleyes:

Wait, didn't they lose a game last year???