Nice job Weather Channel

1970. Driving N on 148th north of Highway 34 between prolly Holdrege and Adams Streets; saw a funnel cloud. Not sure if it was touching down but it was low. Slowed down and watched it cross 148th about a mile ahead of me and let it meander on it's way east. Closest I ever came to actually chasing a twister :D

I was very close to the 1975 tornado in Omaha. Scariest thing I've ever been through.

I'm not sure I understand the title to the thread.

These guys were researchers. Anyone who lives in tornado areas have benefited from their research.

This wasn't a bunch of guys just out for a thrill ride.

The Weather Channel crew that got hit was NOT out doing any research of any sort or have they ever been in all the years they have been out. That's what the title of the thread was about. They were out as always to get the money shot for the news. Instead they became the news.

These guys were researchers. Anyone who lives in tornado areas have benefited from their research.

The Weather Channel crew that got hit was NOT out doing any research of any sort or have they ever been in all the years they have been out. That's what the title of the thread was about. They were out as always to get the money shot for the news. Instead they became the news.

And let's celebrate that! YEE HAAWWW!

:hmmph

And let's celebrate that! YEE HAAWWW!

:hmmph

makes for good ratings.

Buncha Safety Nazis!!!

Sorta kidding..But why are so many "sane" people so quick to want to take away other's fun?

There's a lot of things I don't do now that I used to before I had children relying on me..But some of my best memories were of bonding? with God and dancing with lightning and/or Tornadoes..No Death Wish..Just that Adrenaline was a powerful drug for a teen bent on boycotting illegal drugs.

And wondering aloud where else the big tornado would be ...other than in the sky.

Buncha Safety Nazis!!!

Sorta kidding..But why are so many "sane" people so quick to want to take away other's fun?

There's a lot of things I don't do now that I used to before I had children relying on me..But some of my best memories were of bonding? with God and dancing with lightning and/or Tornadoes..No Death Wish..Just that Adrenaline was a powerful drug for a teen bent on boycotting illegal drugs.

And wondering aloud where else the big tornado would be ...other than in the sky.

Yeah, this isn't the sort of thing you need laws to protect people from. It's just that a lot of the amateur tornado chasers seem, well, sort of foolhardy. OTOH, I could see myself having a blast doing this very same thing back when I was high school/college age. In some odd way, maybe that's why it's such a rush. Because of the danger of imminent death.

Just got back home to Colorado from OKC. One observation I'll make is that the Weather channel doesn't have sh#t on the local OKC meteorlogists. Those guys earn their paycheck. I would agree with whoever said twc guys are just out for the money shot. We spent friday night in our hotel lobby seconds away from either sheltering in a first floor hallway or evacuating to the mall across the street if it looked like it would be a direct hit. Our softball games got cancelled for saturday because of the heavy (pushing ten inches) rain and many other hotels with players had lost power or suffered some damage. Nastiest looking sky I have seen probably ever.

Went to Norman on Monday to visit a friend and got a little glimpse of the destruction in Moore. F me. Just unbelievable destruction. Can't even begin to describe it. Some vehicles looked like they had gone through compacters and a huge path of what used to be buildings and houses reduced to no more than what comes out of a wood chipper. So very sad. No way I would live in that area without one heck of a storm shelter.

• Fire 1

Just got back home to Colorado from OKC. One observation I'll make is that the Weather channel doesn't have sh#t on the local OKC meteorlogists. Those guys earn their paycheck. I would agree with whoever said twc guys are just out for the money shot. We spent friday night in our hotel lobby seconds away from either sheltering in a first floor hallway or evacuating to the mall across the street if it looked like it would be a direct hit. Our softball games got cancelled for saturday because of the heavy (pushing ten inches) rain and many other hotels with players had lost power or suffered some damage. Nastiest looking sky I have seen probably ever.

Went to Norman on Monday to visit a friend and got a little glimpse of the destruction in Moore. F me. Just unbelievable destruction. Can't even begin to describe it. Some vehicles looked like they had gone through compacters and a huge path of what used to be buildings and houses reduced to no more than what comes out of a wood chipper. So very sad. No way I would live in that area without one heck of a storm shelter.

Those F5 tornados make it look like a damn nuke hit the area....just unfathomable devastation.....

I was reading about the researchers who lost their lives. Other researchers stated not only are they having to deal with the limited roads to get out of the storms path. But other thrill seekers that are out there to video tape the storm that are only in the way.