Nice job Weather Channel

"They all unfortunately passed away but doing what they LOVED," he added. "Chasing tornadoes. I look at it that he is in the 'big tornado in the sky...'"

Well, maybe all the amateur tornado chasers will realize how foolish this is. Who am I kidding? The type of guys who race after tornadoes in their cars aren't the type to stop and think about it.

Shocked and saddened to hear that Tim Samaris and his son and crew were killed over the weekend. Tim was a very careful researcher, and it's a testament to the unpredictability of these massive storms that even one of the least risk-taking chasers was caught when a tornado did something radical and unexpected.

Tornado research lost a brilliant mind, an innovator and a great researcher. He will definitely be missed.

Weather channel spoke with their guy not too long after it happened to him. He explained how they were doing everything they could just to get away from the storm. But with limited roads and access, it just didnt happen fast enough. It definitely takes a rare passion to do such a thing.

1970. Driving N on 148th north of Highway 34 between prolly Holdrege and Adams Streets; saw a funnel cloud. Not sure if it was touching down but it was low. Slowed down and watched it cross 148th about a mile ahead of me and let it meander on it's way east. Closest I ever came to actually chasing a twister :D