Marines in Afghanistan losing meals

Personally, I'm a lot more concerned about our troops dying unnecessarily in Afghanistan (and Iraq) than I am about whether a midnight meal is hot or cold.

Being lucky enough to be deployed, getting hosed out of chow is a way bigger deal than you could imagine...

Just being in the field for week or so makes a big difference when comes to having a hot meal. I hated those MRE's.

Being slow meant you got "Chicken Ala King" which was about the worst thing you could get...

I had MRE's pretty consistantly for about 6 months and f*cked my stomach up big time...

Personally, I'm a lot more concerned about our troops dying unnecessarily in Afghanistan (and Iraq) than I am about whether a midnight meal is hot or cold.

Being lucky enough to be deployed, getting hosed out of chow is a way bigger deal than you could imagine...

Just being in the field for week or so makes a big difference when comes to having a hot meal. I hated those MRE's.

Being slow meant you got "Chicken Ala King" which was about the worst thing you could get...

I had MRE's pretty consistantly for about 6 months and f*cked my stomach up big time...

I know after I got out, they started getting a much better and broader selection. The de-hydrated pork paties were the worst.

I know after I got out, they started getting a much better and broader selection. The de-hydrated pork paties were the worst.

I think we had 5 or maybe 6 choices, which meant you put tabasco on EVERYTHING...

I think that you might have misunderstood what I meant.

Did I? Please elaborate...

Did I? Please elaborate...

I think that unnecessarily risking the lives of our troops in a lengthy drawdown in Afghanistan is a far more important issue than whether the midnight meal is hot or cold. Unfortunately, this meal has gotten a lot more attention from the press and populace than say . . . Sean W. Mullen who was killed two days ago by an IED in Afghanistan.

I do think that our troops should get every possible hot meal. That's a stupid place to cut spending. BUT why the @#$%$ should we give more attention to that than our troops dying?

And you?

• Fire 2

I think that unnecessarily risking the lives of our troops in a lengthy drawdown in Afghanistan is a far more important issue than whether the midnight meal is hot or cold. Unfortunately, this meal has gotten a lot more attention from the press and populace than say . . . Sean W. Mullen who was killed two days ago by an IED in Afghanistan.

I can go to a website too, and find the name of a U.S. service member killed in the 'Stan too, and those guys that have given their lives do not get the remembrance they deserve. People only seem to remember that on Memorial Day, if they're not too worried about their bbq, or during Veterans Day if their watching "Pvt Ryan". The way the drawdown is being conducted is putting unnecessary lives at risk, you're right, but you'd be surprised about what guys that are deployed b*tch about. They bitch about everything, except dying. The majority of your common Americans don't give a damn what happens to U.S. service members deployed overseas. They're more worried about not getting the coffee I want, or some pregnant hooker getting knifed in the gut.

I do think that our troops should get every possible hot meal. That's a stupid place to cut spending. BUT why the @#$%$ should we give more attention to that than our troops dying?

At no point have I said that troops not getting meals are more important the U.S. troops losing their lives. If you'd ever been in the military, deployed to the ass end of the planet, you'd come to appreciate the smallest things, a hot shower, a warm meal, an actual bed, a letter from home. I have the ultimate respect for those that have volunteered to serve and unfortunately give their lives for this country. So, when somebody said the littlest things mean the most, when you're down range, that statement rings even more true.

You're a relatively smart guy Carl and I respect that, but you need to learn to stop putting words in peoples mouths, because that just looks bad.

• Fire 4

I can go to a website too, and find the name of a U.S. service member killed in the 'Stan too, and those guys that have given their lives do not get the remembrance they deserve.

But instead of doing that you started a thread about a meal.

At no point have I said that troops not getting meals are more important the U.S. troops losing their lives.

I didn't say that you did.

You're a relatively smart guy Carl and I respect that, but you need to learn to stop putting words in peoples mouths, because that just looks bad.

You're a relatively smart guy walks and I respect that, but you need to stop saying that someone is putting words in your mouth when they didn't because that just looks bad.

• Fire 2

I can go to a website too, and find the name of a U.S. service member killed in the 'Stan too, and those guys that have given their lives do not get the remembrance they deserve. People only seem to remember that on Memorial Day, if they're not too worried about their bbq, or during Veterans Day if their watching "Pvt Ryan". The way the drawdown is being conducted is putting unnecessary lives at risk, you're right, but you'd be surprised about what guys that are deployed b*tch about. They bitch about everything, except dying. The majority of your common Americans don't give a damn what happens to U.S. service members deployed overseas. They're more worried about not getting the coffee I want, or some pregnant hooker getting knifed in the gut.

At no point have I said that troops not getting meals are more important the U.S. troops losing their lives. If you'd ever been in the military, deployed to the ass end of the planet, you'd come to appreciate the smallest things, a hot shower, a warm meal, an actual bed, a letter from home. I have the ultimate respect for those that have volunteered to serve and unfortunately give their lives for this country. So, when somebody said the littlest things mean the most, when you're down range, that statement rings even more true.

This thread was not about troops dying it was about taking more away from the troops that are alive and risking their lives for the country they represent and the citizens they fight for. As a citizen of the U.S. I find it extremely disgusting to take meals away from them or any small pleasure they can receive to keep their minds at bay, even for a moment. I don't agree with every war and I don't agree with every decision that is made by both Dems, and Rep. Now I do agree we citizens take ALOT for granted everyday and don't acknowledge the troops or vets as much as we should. And, that is VERY VERY SAD

• Fire 1

But instead of doing that you started a thread about a meal.

Because you apparently aren't understanding what I'm getting at.

Yes I did start a thread about a meal, and what is wrong with that? Because I obviously give a damn about those that defend this country. Should we remember and honor those have given their lives, absolutely. But they are gone, and we can only honor their memory. How about we take care of those that are still living, so I'll start a thread about a meal.

Because I obviously give a damn about those that defend this country. Should we remember and honor those have given their lives, absolutely. But they are gone, and we can only honor their memory.

It kind of misses the point in my opinion when you say that all we can do is honor the memory of those who have given their lives.

I think that we should all pay more attention to making sure that we protect the lives of our troops so we don't have more grieving families remembering and honoring these deaths. I'd imagine that if we could poll these Marines and asked them if they'd prefer to be home or if they'd prefer to have a hot meal they'd probably lean towards the former. But then again (as has been pointed out to me repeatedly) I couldn't possibly understand.

• Fire 1

Carl-Walks started a thread about the dumbshit things that our government is doing to our service members while they are still technically in a war. He wanted to bring attention to it. There is no harm in it.

If you want to start a post listing all who have fallen during the 2 wars, go ahead. You know how to do it. And no one will stop you. But I think you telling somebody that their concerns on a post are not worthy of discussion just because you can think of something worse is not right.

• Fire 1