Marines in Afghanistan losing meals

Not saying it is right, but this has actually been happening for quite a while down range. It has been part of the draw down and transition of control to Afghan counterparts not specifically to budget cuts. The first to go were hot breakfasts at some bases that started in February 2013.

If we want out, we simply need to pack up and leave.

Not saying it is right, but this has actually been happening for quite a while down range. It has been part of the draw down and transition of control to Afghan counterparts not specifically to budget cuts. The first to go were hot breakfasts at some bases that started in February 2013.

If we want out, we simply need to pack up and leave.

This, You don't make our own troops suffer. Whether it is budget cuts or covering up budget cuts by saying this is how we are going to draw down it is wrong.

Missing a few meals pales in comparison to the travesty being perpetrated on our injured vets back home by the VA.

Both are bad but we really should be talking about the VA too.

I absolutely agree with this. It is crazy to me that when a vet makes an appointment for a check-up or other non-emergency appointments can take up to 3-6 months to be able to see you. I have no links to this or whatever just the word of my vet father-in-law. I also believe that the care that the vets receive is also suspect IMO. I do not believe they are very thorough at all and that is very sad.

Missing a few meals pales in comparison to the travesty being perpetrated on our injured vets back home by the VA.

Both are bad but we really should be talking about the VA too.

Just saw this article after you mentioned this. Sad to see how long guys are waiting. Travesty. At least both sides of the aisle agree something needs to be done.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/06/01/democrats-and-republican-in-both-chamber-press-obama-to-end-backlog-veterans/

I read an article in Time some months ago about the logistics of leaving Afghanistan, which are almost impossible to fathom. When the military withdrew from Iraq there were flat roads straight into friendly nations with large ports and a well established infrastructure for staging. Afghanistan is a rugged, landlocked nation with horrible infrastructure, and the roads through Pakistan have been closed on and off. As such, flying stuff in and out has been astronomically expensive.

Anyway, I can't help but wonder if this situation has at least in part arisen because of all the contracting the military does now. If the contractors preparing hot meals have to leave before the Marines as forces are drawn down, then it would seem there is no solution to the problem. At the very least though, I thought that MREs were a lot better now than they were in the past? Maybe as a part of more acceptable solution, the military could buy the freeze dried food that is sold for backpacking. Those are pretty good and there's probably a lot more variety than regular MREs.

Not that I want to defend a politician and I'm not an expert on how these things work.....but.....isn't this more of a military organizational issue than politicians not wanting to support the troops?

and there's the old adage, "sh*t rolls down hill"

Personally, I'm a lot more concerned about our troops dying unnecessarily in Afghanistan (and Iraq) than I am about whether a midnight meal is hot or cold.

Being lucky enough to be deployed, getting hosed out of chow is a way bigger deal than you could imagine...

Personally, I'm a lot more concerned about our troops dying unnecessarily in Afghanistan (and Iraq) than I am about whether a midnight meal is hot or cold.

Being lucky enough to be deployed, getting hosed out of chow is a way bigger deal than you could imagine...

Just being in the field for week or so makes a big difference when comes to having a hot meal. I hated those MRE's.