NSA asked Verizon for records of all calls in the U.S.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/06/05/nsa-asked-verizon-for-records-of-all-calls-in-the-u-s/

Yikes. Now THIS is disturbing.

A major scoop from Glenn Greenwald at the Guardianappears to prove that the National Security Agency has been demanding that Verizon produce calling records of all phone calls made in the United States.

The leaked legal order requires Verizon to produce, “on an ongoing daily basis,” records of calls “between the United States and abroad” as well as “wholly within the United States, including local calls.” The data sought by the NSA includes “originating and terminating telephone numbers,” and the time and duration of each call. The order does not request the contents of the calls.

The four-page order is dated April 25 and signed by Judge Roger Vinson, a judge of the secretive Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court. It is marked “top secret” and is due to expire on July 19 unless it is renewed. It bans Verizon from disclosing the order to anyone other than those employees needed to comply with the order and an attorney.

Good.. maybe they can figure out who keeps calling me and not leaving me a freaking voicemail.

Just Kidding.. this is 2013... No one calls me

Or is that because I am lame?

But ya.. this is a bit weird.. but i have nothing to hide.

• Fire 1
NSA asked Verizon for records of all calls in the U.S.

If this looks anything like my phone bill it's gonna take all the paper in the world. And the NSA won't be able to make heads or tails of it either.

• Fire 1

I think the idea is they're going to run software on the database that will flag calls that (under whatever criteria) might deserve special attention. So the information would be useful.

If Verizon's doing this, I guess, who isn't?

The Washington Post spoke to an expert who said the order "appears to be a routine renewal of a similar order first issued by the same court in 2006." The expert, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive issues, said that the order is reissued routinely every 90 days and that it is not related to any particular investigation by the FBI or any other agency.

The expert referred to such orders as “rubber stamps” sought by the telephone companies to protect themselves after the disclosure in 2005 that widespread warrantless wiretaps could leave them liable for damages.

Nothing new here. Continuation of Bush policies, Patriot Act, etc.

This isn't wire tapping.

The Washington Post spoke to an expert who said the order "appears to be a routine renewal of a similar order first issued by the same court in 2006." The expert, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive issues, said that the order is reissued routinely every 90 days and that it is not related to any particular investigation by the FBI or any other agency.

The expert referred to such orders as “rubber stamps” sought by the telephone companies to protect themselves after the disclosure in 2005 that widespread warrantless wiretaps could leave them liable for damages.

Nothing new here. Continuation of Bush policies, Patriot Act, etc.

This isn't wire tapping.

Just because it isn't new, doesn't mean I have to like it.

• Fire 1

That is understandable.

Just wasn't sure what all of this recent hoopla going on for this was. It isn't new, so I didn't know why it was news.

EDIT: From a few reports that I've heard, it is just the metadata, not a recording, and it may not even know the names of the call recipients. Something like this is used to see if calls are coming to and from locations or telephone numbers associated with terrorism.

That is OK with me.

That is understandable.

Just wasn't sure what all of this hoopla going on for this was. It isn't new, so I didn't know why it was news.

Well, two points. 1) As far as I know, it is the first time someone has proven with documentation, the extent of the acquisition of phone records. 2) This is a Bush/Cheney tactic that I would have expected the Obama Administration to end. Chalk up another to his list of actual failures.

That is understandable.

Just wasn't sure what all of this hoopla going on for this was. It isn't new, so I didn't know why it was news.

Well, two points. 1) As far as I know, it is the first time someone has proven with documentation, the extent of the acquisition of phone records. 2) This is a Bush/Cheney tactic that I would have expected the Obama Administration to end. Chalk up another to his list of actual failures.

Why would you expect it to end under Obama? He's the same thing as Bush, only with different social policies. All these guys are birds of a feather.

• Fire 2