Colorado counties want to secede

The northeast corner of Colorado is fed up with the front range liberals - they want to secede, but they don't have enough population to form a state (Wyoming right now wouldn't have enough people to join the union)

http://www.denverpos...an-northeastern

Maybe we can help them out (oh yeah, Boulder county would be a border county with Nebraska)

Would that give Nebraska any mountains? If so that would be cool. Then there would be less mocking of our state : )

The northeast corner of Colorado is fed up with the front range liberals - they want to secede, but they don't have enough population to form a state (Wyoming right now wouldn't have enough people to join the union)

Maybe we can help them out (oh yeah, Boulder county would be a border county with Nebraska)

Would that give Nebraska any mountains? If so that would be cool. Then there would be less mocking of our state : )

Nope

Ranch country only

They are sick of liberal gun control, agriculture and energy policies.

The commissioners, united by interests in oil and gas regulation, gun control, transportation and agriculture, agreed to discuss its feasibility and perhaps put the question to voters in their counties in November, Finch said.

Commissioner Sean Conway told the Tribune oil and gas and agriculture in particular are being targeted, even though the revenue the county sees from the those industries makes up 70 percent of the state's budget. He said those dollars don't return to northeastern Colorado, for road improvements for example.

[/left]

Nope

Ranch country only

The commissioners, united by interests in oil and gas regulation, gun control, transportation and agriculture, agreed to discuss its feasibility and perhaps put the question to voters in their counties in November, Finch said.

Commissioner Sean Conway told the Tribune oil and gas and agriculture in particular are being targeted, even though the revenue the county sees from the those industries makes up 70 percent of the state's budget. He said those dollars don't return to northeastern Colorado, for road improvements for example.

[/left]

Hmmm. As much as I hear people bitch about having to drive across Nebraska on their way to Colorado because of how boring it is, this sounds like a bad idea LOL.

Nope

Ranch country only

[/left]

Hmmm. As much as I hear people bitch about having to drive across Nebraska on their way to Colorado because of how boring it is, this sounds like a bad idea LOL.

70 percent of the state's budget.

I could go for this. I would become a Nebraska resident again and I wouldn't even have to move. Unfortunately this would not include GSG who is located in Larimer county. Heck Nebraska would pick up a pretty decent minor league hockey team too. Wouldn't help for mountains though but you can see them from here.

Nope

Ranch country only

[/left]

Somehow I doubt 70% of Colorado's budget money comes from a couple counties.

Nope

Ranch country only

[/left]

Somehow I doubt 70% of Colorado's budget money comes from a couple counties.

I couldn't tell you either if that is accurate or not but if you drive through that area there is a huge energy boom going on right now. Wells are pumping everywhere and more getting drilled every day. With the population that area has I can guarantee you that they are more then paying their share of taxes and this is what it's about, not getting enough back in return.

Another article I read actually stated that some Nebraska counties were actually interested in leaving Nebraska and joining them instead instead of the Colorado counties joining Nebraska.

I hadn't heard a thing about this before this thread and, since I live in one of those CO counties, I can pretty much guarantee this thing has no legs. As far as tax money going to Denver and not being fairly distributed to smaller counties around the state, that's been going on forever. As HSKR pointed out, I'm sure this is the result of the oil boom in this part of the state. There's a whole bunch more tax money being collected in this area without any commensurate infrastructure improvement coming in return. FYI- there are way more Husker fans in this part of the state than there are CU or CSU fans.