Greatest D1 College Player - OF ALL TIME!

knapplc

I started a contest like this several years ago and never finished it, for some reason. It's high time we fix that problem. We'll spend the next few weeks sorting out the rankings and then voting for the greatest of all time.

As I dust off the old stuff I'd compiled to run this thing way back in 2007, I found this list, all seeded and ready to go. Everyone take a look at this thing and tell me where it's right and wrong, and if anyone who played in the past five years needs to be added.

Updated list

R Player POS

1 Barry Sanders RB

2 Archie Griffin RB

3 Bo Jackson RB

4 Jim Thorpe RB

5 Red Grange RB

6 Doak Walker RB

7 Jim Brown RB

8 OJ Simpson RB

9 Earl Campbell RB

10 Tommie Frazier QB

11 Gale Sayers RB

12 Billy Sims RB

13 Vince Young QB

14 Herschel Walker RB

15 Eric Dickerson RB

16 Jamelle Holieway QB

17 Mike Rozier RB

18 Will Shields OL

19 Orlando Pace OL

20 Rickey Williams RB

21 Eric Crouch QB

22 Roger Staubach QB

23 Sammy Baugh QB

24 Dave Rimington OL

25 Bronko Nagurski DL

26 Tony Dorsett RB

27 Marcus Allen RB

28 Dan Marino QB

29 Ron Dayne RB

30 Charlie Ward QB

31 Tom Harmon RB

32 Lawrence Taylor LB

33 Brian Bosworth LB

34 George Gipp RB

35 Johnny Rodgers WR

36 Ndamukong Suh DL

37 Reggie Bush RB

38 Steve Emtman DL

39 Dick Butkus LB

40 Warren Sapp DL

41 Calvin Johnson WR

42 Larry Fitzgerald WR

43 Troy Davis WR

44 John Elway QB

45 Hugh Green DL

46 Rashaan Salaam RB

47 Rich Glover DL

48 Mike Singletary LB

49 Mike Ditka LB

50 Charles Woodsen CB

51 Bernie Kosar QB

52 Tim Tebow QB

53 Larry Czonka RB

54 James Street QB

55 John Hannah OL

56 Charley Trippi RB

57 Alex Karras DL

58 Bob Brown OL

59 Keyshawn Johnson WR

60 Dat Nguyen LB

61 Carl Eller DL

62 Dan Hampton DL

63 Sterling Sharpe TE

64 Charles Rogers WR

I love me some Trev Alberts, but I'm not sure he belongs on this list. This is a pretty tall task and one could spend hours upon hours digging through award winners of the past 50 years to generate more names. Good luck to you guys on this one : )

This is a pretty tall task and one could spend hours upon hours digging through award winners of the past 50 years to generate more names.

I can't find the thread anymore, but we actually did this. Granted, it was six years ago, but that's not so long ago that this list is no longer relevant. There are guys on this list whom people probably don't know, but whose stats would shock them if they did the research.

While Trev was pretty darned good, I'd be cool taking him off the list and putting Suh on. Suh would have to be much higher than #47, though.

This is a pretty tall task and one could spend hours upon hours digging through award winners of the past 50 years to generate more names.

I can't find the thread anymore, but we actually did this. Granted, it was six years ago, but that's not so long ago that this list is no longer relevant. There are guys on this list whom people probably don't know, but whose stats would shock them if they did the research.

While Trev was pretty darned good, I'd be cool taking him off the list and putting Suh on. Suh would have to be much higher than #47, though.

I don't think I was a member back then, and this is a fun exercise but I just don't think I have the time to help with it. It will be cool to see what you guys come up with. Good luck!

Kordell Stewart might deserve to be on there.

Yep. Dick Butkus at 39. No way he is below Bosworthless.

Probably would put Bo Jackson at #1

Butkus was good in college, but Bosworth, like him or not, was a nearly unstoppable machine.

There's about zero chance I'll put Bo Jackson ahead of Barry Sanders. I could see an argument for putting him ahead of Archie Griffin, but that's a coin flip IMO.