Greatest D1 College Player - OF ALL TIME!

knapplc

I think Vince Young is rated too high. Should change places with Crouch at least or better yet, Charlie Ward. No way Adrian Petersen gets on this list. He had a monster freshman year and then didn't do much after due to injury, I believe. Trev Alberts I don't think belongs on the list. I think Lawrence Taylor is a stretch as well.

Need to add Art Shell and Ronnie Lott.

Vinny Testaverde, Grant Wistrom, and maybe Steve Young.

Anthony Munoz, Bubba Smith, and Merlin Olsen.

"Mean" Joe Greene.

Who should each of these guys replace?

Vinny Testaverde over Bernie Kosar.

I think Vince Young is rated too high. Should change places with Crouch at least or better yet, Charlie Ward. No way Adrian Petersen gets on this list. He had a monster freshman year and then didn't do much after due to injury, I believe. Trev Alberts I don't think belongs on the list. I think Lawrence Taylor is a stretch as well.

Trev isn't on the updated list.

Yes you did. I read the first list then posted the comment. Tebow is way above 64 IMO.

First eight battles, one whole bracket, are up. I'm going to do the first round in bracket-sized chunks, eight polls at a time, running for three days each. We'll vote on the Round of 64 players over the next dozen days.

I understand that people are going to disagree with the seeding. Admittedly it's a bit of a mess, but the attempt isn't to get it exactly correct, it's to get it palatable for the majority. I solicited opinions for over a week and got very little specific feedback, so I did the best I could. Bottom line is, the better player will win the vote.

• Fire 1

Next round of voting is up. Everyone's favorite controversy, Tim Tebow, is back in the running, having switched places in the Barry Sanders massacre with Charles Rogers. Rogers would have easily lost to Vince Young, so it's not like we're messing with the fabric of space and time here, anyway.

Winners of the first eight battles pretty much went according to seed:

Barry Sanders defeated Charles Rogers 21-0

Mike Rozier defeated Mike Singletary 17-0

OJ Simpson defeated Alex Karras 15-2

Dave Rimington defeated Calvin Johnson 15-1

Bronko Nagurski defeated Warren Sapp 13-3

Earl Campbell defeated Charley Trippi 12-3

There were two upsets:

Lawrence Taylor defeated Brian Bosworth 10-6

This was a pretty mild upset, since LT was the #33 seed vs. Bosworth's #32.

The real shocker, I think, is that Mike Ditka defeated Jamelle Holieway, 9-5. Ditka was the #49 seed taking on Holieway's #16 seed. I really didn't see this happening. Makes me wonder how many guys missed out on seeing Holieway run Switzer's wishbone offense. The guy was a disaster for defenses.

Next round of battles is up. Go vote!

Another round in the books. This bracket's top two seeds advanced easily, but most battles were kinda close.

Jim Thorpe easily defeated Carl Eller, 10-1

Red Grange easily defeated Dat Nguyen, 10-2

Ndamukong Suh, the Husker Hero, trounced Ron "just as good as Mike Rozier" Dayne, 15-0. Shocking that a Husker message board would blank an all-time great running back in favor of Suh. :D

Rickey Williams, one of the best, most-decorated RBs ever, defeated Hugh Green 8-4.

Billy Sims, who could arguably be the best college football RB ever, defeated Larry Csonka, 8-3.

Husker Heisman winner Eric Crouch defeated John Elway 12-6.

Reggie Bush defeated Dan Marino in a mild upset (if you believe the seedings) 10-6.

And for the second straight round Tim Tebow is involved in the most controversial of the battles, as he was defeated by Vince Young, 12-8. Tebow is officially out of the tournament.

Next round of battles are up. Go vote!

Another round in the books. This bracket's top two seeds advanced easily, but most battles were kinda close.

Jim Thorpe easily defeated Carl Eller, 10-1

Red Grange easily defeated Dat Nguyen, 10-2

Ndamukong Suh, the Husker Hero, trounced Ron "just as good as Mike Rozier" Dayne, 15-0. Shocking that a Husker message board would blank an all-time great running back in favor of Suh. :D

Rickey Williams, one of the best, most-decorated RBs ever, defeated Hugh Green 8-4.

Billy Sims, who could arguably be the best college football RB ever, defeated Larry Csonka, 8-3.

Husker Heisman winner Eric Crouch defeated John Elway 12-6.

Reggie Bush defeated Dan Marino in a mild upset (if you believe the seedings) 10-6.

And for the second straight round Tim Tebow is involved in the most controversial of the battles, as he was defeated by Vince Young, 12-8. Tebow is officially out of the tournament.

Next round of battles are up. Go vote!

The only problem I had with voting Billy Simms is, he was a fumble machine.

More results are in! The final brackets from the first round are done.

Bo Jackson defeats Dan Hampton 10-0

Johnny Rodgers defeats Charlie Ward 16-1

Orlando Pace defeats Rashaan Salaam 10-2

Herschel Walker defeats Bernie Kosar 13-0

Gale Sayers defeats James Street 11-0

Roger Staubach defeats Troy Davis 8-2

Marcus Allen defeats Steve Emtman 7-4

Doak Walker defeats Keyshawn Johnson 12-0

It's a busy week here at casa del knapplc, so the GOAT bracket will be on hiatus until next Monday, 7/8/11, when we'll start the Round of 32.