Husker Camp Countdown: NU’s top 50 players heading into 2013

Husker Camp Countdown: No. 40 Tommy Armstrong

By Sam McKewon, Omaha World Herald, PUBLISHED MONDAY, JUNE 24, 2013 AT 7:00 AM

Tommy Armstrong | 6-1 | 220 pounds | RFr. | Quarterback

The top backup to Taylor Martinez after spring practices has a monthlong audition coming up. Armstrong’s dose of in-game snaps this fall will likely be prescribed in August. A knee injury sidelined Armstrong for much of his redshirt year in 2012, but he spent the spring taking a good portion of the first-team reps during game-like scrimmages.

LINK

• Fire 1

Throwin in Westerkamp and this young Moore fella, and a healthy Tariq Allen to contribute, I've said this before, there isnt a defense in the entire country that can cover this receiving core if we decide to go 4 or 5 wide for a 5th year senior qb. Not even Bama.

Especially one that can tuck it and got 70+ before the D knows what hit them!

Throwin in Westerkamp and this young Moore fella, and a healthy Tariq Allen to contribute, I've said this before, there isnt a defense in the entire country that can cover this receiving core if we decide to go 4 or 5 wide for a 5th year senior qb. Not even Bama.

Especially one that can tuck it and got 70+ before the D knows what hit them!

Ah yes. I forgot that little chesnut. Silly me. :bang

Husker Camp Countdown: No. 39 Trevor Roach

By Sam McKewon, Omaha World Herald, PUBLISHED TUESDAY, JUNE 25, 2013 AT 7:00 AM

Trevor Roach | 6-2 | 230pounds | Jr. | Linebacker

The most veteran linebacker on Nebraska’s team has never had a better chance to make an impact. Roach has 12 total tackles in two years, but Will Compton’s gone now, leaving the Elkhorn product to compete with sophomore David Santos and redshirt freshman Michael Rose for middle linebacker snaps.

LINK

• Fire 1
Husker Camp Countdown: No. 39 Trevor Roach

By Sam McKewon, Omaha World Herald, PUBLISHED TUESDAY, JUNE 25, 2013 AT 7:00 AM

Trevor Roach | 6-2 | 230pounds | Jr. | Linebacker

The most veteran linebacker on Nebraska’s team has never had a better chance to make an impact. Roach has 12 total tackles in two years, but Will Compton’s gone now, leaving the Elkhorn product to compete with sophomore David Santos and redshirt freshman Michael Rose for middle linebacker snaps.

LINK

I was really impressed two years ago when he came into an early-season game (because of injury, IIRC) and played REALLY well. But he's barely gotten on the field since then. As I said earlier, we are suddenly crowded at LB so it will be interesting to see who comes out of the mix. Not sure I would have put Roach ahead of Rose but that's just me.

Husker Camp Countdown: No. 38 Andy Janovich

By Jon Nyatawa, Omaha World Herald, PUBLISHED WEDNESDAY, JUNE 26, 2013 AT 7:00 AM / UPDATED AT 9:24 PM

Andy Janovich | 6-1 | 225 pounds | So. | Fullback

<snip> Janovich fits into that mix (at fullback). Based on the impact during his true freshman season — most notably in a second-half comeback at home against Wisconsin — and his ability to help NU in the future, the walk-on from Gretna is a candidate to earn a scholarship this fall.

LINK

Fullback is a spot we're just not going to need to worry about. Between Janovich and C.J. Zimmerer I think we're set.

T.O. needs to have a direct line to the booth during the games. That way he can give Beck a buzz and tell him to give the ball to the fullback "right . . . about . . . now."

Husker Camp Countdown: No. 37 Mo Seisay

By Jon Nyatawa, Omaha World Herald, PUBLISHED THURSDAY, JUNE 27, 2013 AT 7:00 AM / UPDATED AT 6:14 PM

Mo Seisay | 6-2 | 200 pounds | Sr. | Cornerback

<snip> He never quite could gain the coaches’ trust as an every-down, lockdown guy last fall, hampered early by a high-ankle sprain that sapped him of his burst. He had seven total tackles in 12 games. But a corner with his size always has a shot to play in this defensive system.

LINK

This is the year for Mo. He either develops into an NFL corner. Or not.

edit: I'm assuming Mo is a 2-for-2 guy, and this is his second year. Anyone know for sure?

Husker Camp Countdown: No. 37 Mo Seisay

By Jon Nyatawa, Omaha World Herald, PUBLISHED THURSDAY, JUNE 27, 2013 AT 7:00 AM / UPDATED AT 6:14 PM

Mo Seisay | 6-2 | 200 pounds | Sr. | Cornerback

<snip> He never quite could gain the coaches’ trust as an every-down, lockdown guy last fall, hampered early by a high-ankle sprain that sapped him of his burst. He had seven total tackles in 12 games. But a corner with his size always has a shot to play in this defensive system.

LINK

This is the year for Mo. He either develops into an NFL corner. Or not.

edit: I'm assuming Mo is a 2-for-2 guy, and this is his second year. Anyone know for sure?

I believe 2 for 2 is correct. He was slowed by injuries last year. Hopefully he's ready to break out.

Husker Camp Countdown: No. 36 Alonzo Moore

By Big Red Today, Omaha World Herald, PUBLISHED FRIDAY, JUNE 28, 2013 AT 7:00 AM / UPDATED AT 11:43 PM

Alonzo Moore | 6-foot-2 | 185 pounds | RFr. | Receiver

<snip> Moore has the talent to get on the field. If he grasps the offensive scheme properly, even more snaps will be made available for him this fall.

LINK

Moore is freakishly athletic. Great ko and punt returner too. Who knows? He just might hit it big this year.

By Big Red Today, Omaha World Herald, PUBLISHED FRIDAY, JUNE 28, 2013 AT 7:00 AM / UPDATED AT 11:43 PM

<snip> Moore has the talent to get on the field. If he grasps the offensive scheme properly, even more snaps will be made available for him this fall.

LINK

Moore is freakishly athletic. Great ko and punt returner too. Who knows? He just might hit it big this year.

Seem to be hearing the same things about him that we heard about Kenny Bell back in the day. If anywhere close to true, :thumbs

LINK

Seem to be hearing the same things about him that we heard about Kenny Bell back in the day. If anywhere close to true, :thumbs

Oh yeah. Is there any aspect of being a WR Kenny Bell has not mastered? Great hands. Great speed. Great routes. Great downfield blocking. He'll be playing Sundays in a couple years. No doubt.