Husker Camp Countdown: NU’s top 50 players heading into 2013

Husker Camp Countdown: No. 35 Harvey Jackson

By Sam McKewon, Omaha World Herald, PUBLISHED SATURDAY, JUNE 29, 2013 AT 7:00 AM / UPDATED AT 7:22 PM

Harvey Jackson | 6-foot-2 | 210 pounds | Jr. | Safety

<snip> Jackson has the right size and tackles well enough. Recognition skills are a development point. Still, he held off younger players in spring practice and appears to be at the top of the depth chart heading to August camp.

LINK

I've been a fan of Jackson's since he was recruited. I thought he'd start for us at some point. I'm still waiting.

Sam, OTOH, takes a swipe at him in the write-up: " finishing with 13 tackles and the occasional burn marks from getting beat deep over the middle." Ouch!

Husker Camp Countdown: No. 34 Charles Jackson

By Sam McKewon, Omaha World Herald, PUBLISHED SUNDAY, JUNE 30, 2013 AT 7:00 AM

Charles Jackson | 5-foot-11 | 175 pounds | So. | DB

<snip> In 2013, Nebraska coaches will look for ways to get him on the field. For now, he’s at safety. He could be a natural heir apparent to slot corner/Peso Ciante Evans when the opportunity presents itself in 2014. For now, look for coach Bo Pelini and defensive coordinator John Papuchis to put Jackson in spots where his athleticism can shine. It’d be fun to see him come off the edge on a blitz every now again.

LINK

Husker Camp Countdown: No. 36 Alonzo Moore

By Big Red Today, Omaha World Herald, PUBLISHED FRIDAY, JUNE 28, 2013 AT 7:00 AM / UPDATED AT 11:43 PM

Alonzo Moore | 6-foot-2 | 185 pounds | RFr. | Receiver

<snip> Moore has the talent to get on the field. If he grasps the offensive scheme properly, even more snaps will be made available for him this fall.

LINK

Moore is freakishly athletic. Great ko and punt returner too. Who knows? He just might hit it big this year.

His two catches in the spring game he just blew past the defenders. i know it's just the spring game but I've been hearing good things about him. hopefully he gets on the field because I think he is an impact player with the ball in his hands. also on one of Imani's touchdowns he had a great downfield block that opened up a lane for Imani.

Husker Camp Countdown: No. 34 Charles Jackson

By Sam McKewon, Omaha World Herald, PUBLISHED SUNDAY, JUNE 30, 2013 AT 7:00 AM

Charles Jackson | 5-foot-11 | 175 pounds | So. | DB

<snip> In 2013, Nebraska coaches will look for ways to get him on the field. For now, he’s at safety. He could be a natural heir apparent to slot corner/Peso Ciante Evans when the opportunity presents itself in 2014. For now, look for coach Bo Pelini and defensive coordinator John Papuchis to put Jackson in spots where his athleticism can shine. It’d be fun to see him come off the edge on a blitz every now again.

LINK

Oh yeah! Love to see them use a blitz package with CJ!! Memories of the '94/'95 Blackshirts. :lol:

Husker Camp Countdown: No. 33 Avery Moss

By Sam McKewon, Omaha World Herald, PUBLISHED MONDAY, JULY 1, 2013 AT 7:00 AM / UPDATED AT 6:14 PM

Avery Moss | 6-foot-2 | 270 pounds | RFr. | DE-DT

Moss got a medical redshirt after appearing in a few games — and he’s set to stand trial in July on public indecency and disturbing the peace charges. Regardless of the court outcome — Moss has pleaded not guilty — he’s likely to play at some point in 2013 at a base defensive end spot.

LINK

Lost a season to injury. Medical redshirt. Now the indecency charges. Wow, seems like Avery has a lot of issues.

Husker Camp Countdown: No. 32 Terrell Newby

By Sam McKewon, Omaha World Herald, PUBLISHED TUESDAY, JULY 2, 2013 AT 7:00 AM / UPDATED AT 7:46 PM

Terrell Newby | 5-foot-10 | 180 pounds | Fr. | RB

This dynamic speedster from Los Angeles ran for more than 2,000 yards in his senior high school season. Newby’s, frame, vision and sudden change of direction are reminiscent of current Husker starter Ameer Abdullah.

LINK

Oooh. A Newby on the list. Might be a couple of them on the list.

Husker Camp Countdown: No. 31 Matt Finnin

By Sam McKewon, Omaha World Herald, PUBLISHED WEDNESDAY, JULY 3, 2013 AT 7:00 AM / UPDATED AT 9:29 AM

Matt Finnin | 6-7 | 305 | Jr. | Offensive Tackle

A late bloomer who played last year for College of DuPage junior college, Finnin expects to play early and often despite NU having three senior tackles. We expect him to play a lot, too.

LINK

Alright! The new guy makes an appearance on the list.

Finnin was an honorable mention Juco All-American. Anyone know if he is 3 for 2 years or 2 for 2?

Husker Camp Countdown: No. 31 Matt Finnin

By Sam McKewon, Omaha World Herald, PUBLISHED WEDNESDAY, JULY 3, 2013 AT 7:00 AM / UPDATED AT 9:29 AM

Matt Finnin | 6-7 | 305 | Jr. | Offensive Tackle

A late bloomer who played last year for College of DuPage junior college, Finnin expects to play early and often despite NU having three senior tackles. We expect him to play a lot, too.

LINK

Alright! The new guy makes an appearance on the list.

Finnin was an honorable mention Juco All-American. Anyone know if he is 3 for 2 years or 2 for 2?

Last I knew he was officially a 2 for 2 right now but is applying (or may apply?) for a hardship waiver for another year (3 for 3).

Last I knew he was officially a 2 for 2 right now but is applying (or may apply?) for a hardship waiver for another year (3 for 3).

If this guy pans out for us—and I think he's going to—then 3 for 3 would be HUGE! Out of all the O-linemen we get on campus, how many do we get three years of play time out of? Probably like 15% or something.

If this guy pans out for us—and I think he's going to—then 3 for 3 would be HUGE! Out of all the O-linemen we get on campus, how many do we get three years of play time out of? Probably like 15% or something.

He hasn't played a down yet, so let's not count on 3 years or even 2 for that matter.

He hasn't played a down yet, so let's not count on 3 years or even 2 for that matter.

But IF he pans out for us then 3 for 3 would be HUGE!

edit: Reworded it to be less smarmy. lol

Hence " If ".

Yes, I was basically commenting that it's a big "IF".

Husker Camp Countdown: No. 30 Aaron Curry

By Sam McKewon, Omaha World Herald, PUBLISHED THURSDAY, JULY 4, 2013 AT 7:00 AM

Aaron Curry | 6-1 | 280 | So. | Defensive Tackle

Nebraska was starving for depth last season at defensive tackle, so Curry got a long look as a true freshman. The native of Keller, Texas, did well enough through August that the NU staff decided to play him. That didn’t turn out to be much — Curry appeared in the four nonconference games, making three tackles — but it’s experience that should help him as a sophomore.

LINK

Husker Camp Countdown: No. 30 Aaron Curry

By Sam McKewon, Omaha World Herald, PUBLISHED THURSDAY, JULY 4, 2013 AT 7:00 AM

Aaron Curry | 6-1 | 280 | So. | Defensive Tackle

Nebraska was starving for depth last season at defensive tackle, so Curry got a long look as a true freshman. The native of Keller, Texas, did well enough through August that the NU staff decided to play him. That didn’t turn out to be much — Curry appeared in the four nonconference games, making three tackles — but it’s experience that should help him as a sophomore.

LINK

It doesn't mention that he was injured :P

Husker Camp Countdown: No. 29 Jared Afalava

By Sam McKewon, Omaha World Herald, PUBLISHED FRIDAY, JULY 5, 2013 AT 7:00 AM

Jared Afalava | 6-3 | 230 | RFr. | Linebacker

Afalava and Max Pirman are two returning Huskers who have worked at the strongside linebacker position, where many expected Brown to emerge as the starter. Afalava put on 15 pounds during a redshirt season and will head into fall camp listed at 230.

LINK

Didn't realize he is 6-3. Fairly tall for an LB.