Husker Camp Countdown: NU’s top 50 players heading into 2013

Husker Camp Countdown: No. 22 Kevin Williams

By Jon Nyatawa, Omaha World Herald, PUBLISHED FRIDAY, JULY 12, 2013 AT 7:00 AM

Kevin Williams | 6-foot-2 | 275 pounds | So. | Defensive tackle

That nasty knee injury Williams suffered in 2011 was still hindering him last fall. So he’ll be eager to showcase his true ability now — the same potential that once intrigued so many major Midwest programs during his recruitment.

And the Huskers need a big year from Williams. He played just half the season in 2012. But he’s the second-most experienced member of the D-line’s interior, a group led by the now-healthy Thad Randle.

LINK

Husker Camp Countdown: No. 21 Greg McMullen

By Jon Nyatawa, Omaha World Herald, PUBLISHED SATURDAY, JULY 13, 2013 AT 7:00 AM / UPDATED AT 7:35 PM

Greg McMullen | 6-foot-3 | 285 pounds | RFr. | Defensive end

<snip> McMullen joined the top defense this spring and immediately caught the coaches’ attention. This is the dude who had scholarship offers from Ohio State, Notre Dame and Michigan State, so it’s no surprise that he made a splash.

LINK

McMullen could turn out to be a great one. I hope we hear more about him in fall camp. Here's his huskers.com bio: LINK

By Jon Nyatawa, Omaha World Herald, PUBLISHED SATURDAY, JULY 13, 2013 AT 7:00 AM / UPDATED AT 7:35 PM

<snip> McMullen joined the top defense this spring and immediately caught the coaches’ attention. This is the dude who had scholarship offers from Ohio State, Notre Dame and Michigan State, so it’s no surprise that he made a splash.

LINK

McMullen could turn out to be a great one. I hope we hear more about him in fall camp. Here's his huskers.com bio: LINK

They have a run on defensive linemen lately. Hopefully a few of them will come through.

LINK

They have a run on defensive linemen lately. Hopefully a few of them will come through.

Yup. It all starts up front. I know that's a cliché. But it's true. On both sides of the ball.

LINK

I have high hopes for both McMullen and Williams this year. McMullen will be locked in battle for a starting spot with Gregory IMO. He (McMullen) really racked up the sacks in HS. 12 as a Frosh, 11.5 as Soph, 8.5 as Jr, and 12.5 as a senior.

Husker Camp Countdown: No. 20 Imani Cross

By Sam McKewon, Omaha World Herald, PUBLISHED SUNDAY, JULY 14, 2013 AT 7:00 AM / UPDATED AT 7:57 PM

Imani Cross | 6-foot-1 | 225 pounds | So. | Running back

<snip> In the spring, Cross was more of a feature back while Ameer Abdullah healed from a knee strain.

While Cross will never be a particularly elusive back, he can find a hole and he’s a bear to bring down after a few yards.

LINK

6'1"? Really?? I'd be surprised if he's over 5'11". Whatever the height, he packs a whollap.

Husker Camp Countdown: No. 19 Brent Qvale

By Sam McKewon, Omaha World Herald, PUBLISHED MONDAY, JULY 15, 2013 AT 7:00 AM / UPDATED AT 7:13 PM

Brent Qvale | 6-foot-7 | 315 pounds | Sr. | Offensive tackle

<snip> He’s a decent run blocker and his size can be a challenge to get around. Can he stay healthy? Qvale’s likely to be challenged for playing time by Matt Finnin or again share time on the left side with Jeremiah Sirles

LINK

At different times he's played both OT spots. Got a bit of the injury bug though. Had quite a few injuries over the past four years.

I'd love to see a tackle eligible with Qvale. He was a heck of a good basketball player in HS. Prolly has pretty good hands for a down lineman. That, and I always get a kick out of seeing a 300+ lb guy running the ball. :lol:

I&amp;#39;d love to see a tackle eligible with Qvale. He was a heck of a good basketball player in HS.&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;Prolly has pretty good hands for a down lineman.&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;That, and I always get a kick out of seeing a 300+ lb guy running the ball.&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; :lol:

Husker Camp Countdown: No. 18 C.J. Zimmerer

By Sam McKewon, Omaha World Herald, PUBLISHED TUESDAY, JULY 16, 2013 AT 7:00 AM / UPDATED AT 7:51 PM

C.J. Zimmerer | 6-foot | 230 pounds | Sr. | Fullback

<snip> As a senior, he knows offensive coordinator Tim Beck’s offense inside and out, and while Gretna sophomore Andy Janovich may be the future for the Huskers at fullback, we think Zimmerer is the present.

LINK

The fullback of Fullback U. :thumbs:

By Sam McKewon, Omaha World Herald, PUBLISHED TUESDAY, JULY 16, 2013 AT 7:00 AM / UPDATED AT 7:51 PM

<snip> As a senior, he knows offensive coordinator Tim Beck’s offense inside and out, and while Gretna sophomore Andy Janovich may be the future for the Huskers at fullback, we think Zimmerer is the present.

LINK

Was I not paying enough attention or was Janovich playing ahead of Zimmerer quite a bit last year? Maybe that was early and Zimmerer played more later in the season. Either way, I like both guys. Just seemed like everyone has Zimmerer ahead on the depth chart this year and I can't figure out what I'm missing.

LINK

Was I not paying enough attention or was Janovich playing ahead of Zimmerer quite a bit last year? Maybe that was early and Zimmerer played more later in the season. Either way, I like both guys. Just seemed like everyone has Zimmerer ahead on the depth chart this year and I can't figure out what I'm missing.

Yeah, I think Zimmerer was always on top on the depth chart. Here's an interesting LJS article I ran across a while back about the fullbacks. LINK