New field turf for 2013

I was going to screencap these and host them but I don't want the board to get in trouble.

Omaha World Herald has a photo gallery up:

http://odc.omaha.com...age=5002&p=4653

Thanks for just posting the link. The Weird Harold has some of the best photo galleries around and I really appreciate their photojournalists for that, but posting screencaps here would be a problem for HuskerBoard. The link is just fine, though.

:thumbs

I was going to screencap these and host them but I don't want the board to get in trouble.

In here they say the red appears brighter because they haven't added the sand and rubber pellets yet, which they appear to be doing today.

Darn, I liked it bright.

They aren't using rubber though this time, they are using cork. Since cork is lighter than rubber in color I am wondering if it will have a less dulling effect on the color of the turf. IMO, it will make the turf look more lifelike, instead of a blackish hue it will have a browner hue, giving it the appearance of maybe some browner grass.

In here they say the red appears brighter because they haven't added the sand and rubber pellets yet, which they appear to be doing today.

Darn, I liked it bright.

They aren't using rubber though this time, they are using cork. Since cork is lighter than rubber in color I am wondering if it will have a less dulling effect on the color of the turf. IMO, it will make the turf look more lifelike, instead of a blackish hue it will have a browner hue, giving it the appearance of maybe some browner grass.

Rubber is still the main material used. There is just cork mixed in. I believe someone said it was about 30% cork.

Rubber is still the main material used. There is just cork mixed in. I believe someone said it was about 30% cork.

Maybe I am just reading this wrong or drawing the wrong conclusions. But it seems like the rubber is just a base layer and the entire top layer is cork. So it would seem the rubber layer isn't going to be all that, if at all visible. I could be wrong and have no idea how this will affect the color vibrancy of the field. That Tulsa video that was posted earlier though seemed to be a lighter shade once the cork was in, instead of that blackish darker hue you get on the traditional field turf system.

OWH:

The new FieldTurf doesn't require as much sand for the base — 40,000 fewer pounds, in fact — and the recycled tires previously used for the top layer of the field will be replaced by small granules of cork.

As coaches and players could attest over the years, the black rubber pellets — which will still be part of the base component — could generate quite a bit of heat in a September sun, raising on-field temperatures by several degrees.

The cork layer — called the CoolPlay system — is billed to be 35 degrees cooler and provide better shock absorption than typical rubber. The University of Maryland was the first school to install CoolPlay last August. Tulsa installed one earlier this year.