Pelini, Unity and 2013 Expectations

This to me is a Conf. Championship or Bo's out of a job kind of year IMO. Even with the loss of these guys, excuses for bad recruiting classes until 2 years ago, and consistent 9 win seasons, there comes a point where you either have to provide something of substance or your out. Now that's not me bashing Bo, and by all means I don't expect a Nat. Championship. But We should have a conference title by now, and while 9 wins each season is great, getting blown out in the fashion we have consistently is not. And I'd give those up 9 wins and all for a few 11-2 seasons or 13-0 ones alongside some 8-4's and some 7-5's as long as we are competitive. But how many times last year alone were we just so inconsistent at times (terrible even) that we played just about every team close.

Realistically, we could have been 6-6 last year and none of our losses I can even say were close except for Georgia who had nothing to play four til they decided they wanted to care about the game again. I'm a huge Bo supporter and thought he was super deserving of the job over Gill, but I'm not going to make excuses for him each season like Iowa does for Kirk (not comparing coaching ability just some fans support for the guys). I don't want Bo to go but I sure as hell don't wanna hear about getting blown out to 3 to four teams a year and being a butt of every B1G teams jokes. So IMO, Bo's gotta win the Conf. Ship this year no matter how good OSU is, and play competitively in every game win or loss with no blowouts or he should go and I'd be fine with another rebuilding stage to find the right guy. I know, off topic, but between this issue, the TM poke, the Stafford exchange and the former players saying there was no unity, you've got to believe it has to fall somewhere on the coach and the players that he recruits.

feel free to move this, just thought it was on topic enough when tying in the Pelini and Unity bit.

This to me is a Conf. Championship or Bo's out of a job kind of year IMO.

That's youre opinion. Fine. But 9-4, 10-4, 10-3 without a conference title, is going to cost Bo his job. This is fact. I wont disagree with the rest of your assessment, it's pretty spot on. But Bo's not gonna get canned for winning "only" 9-10 games again. It's not championship or bust this year, or any other year for that matter. Doing that exact thing got us in the hole we're still digging out of almost exactly 10 years ago. Let's not forget where we came from, but let's not forget where we've been either. Unless the wheels completely come off, it's not worth trying to start over again.

Winning something of substance? See my crystal football comment. Substance dont mean sh#t if your cheating along the way and 4 years down the road, theyre takin it away and the country's laughin at you and your supposed superstar coach is wavin as he speeds off to the NFL anyway. Trophies and championships arent everything. Perspective. The proper perspective. 9-10 wins without championships is fine for me as long as I know we're doin right.

• Fire 3

That's youre opinion. Fine. But 9-4, 10-4, 10-3 without a conference title, is going to cost Bo his job. This is fact. I wont disagree with the rest of your assessment, it's pretty spot on. But Bo's not gonna get canned for winning "only" 9-10 games again. It's not championship or bust this year, or any other year for that matter. Doing that exact thing got us in the hole we're still digging out of almost exactly 10 years ago. Let's not forget where we came from, but let's not forget where we've been either. Unless the wheels completely come off, it's not worth trying to start over again.

Winning something of substance? See my crystal football comment. Substance dont mean sh#t if your cheating along the way and 4 years down the road, theyre takin it away and the country's laughin at you and your supposed superstar coach is wavin as he speeds off to the NFL anyway. Trophies and championships arent everything. Perspective. The proper perspective. 9-10 wins without championships is fine for me as long as I know we're doin right.

I agree with that, doing it the right way. But you can still win AND do it the right way, they aren't mutually exclusive. And you're right, he won't be canned if he doesn't and I suppose I should reduct my saying he should. But I do stand by saying it wouldn't really affect me if he did, or that I probably wouldn't be happy. That's an IF statement though. Now if we play all our games close this year losing one game along the way close and losing the OSU game close, I don't think he should be fired either. It's not even really the hardware myself or most fans with a similar mindset have, it's the crushing blowouts and mental fallout that loses games that we shouldn't lose or shouldn't be blown out in. And whatever Bo has done as a coach during his tenure has NOT strengthened this team mentally as throughout EACH season, we've had miscues in games that go beyond just a bad play or two. Games like ISU and the turnovers come to mind, Oklahoma in the conference championship game, or blowing huge leads in the B1G and having to comeback against teams. Those things shouldn't still be happening to this extent at this point in his time with the team.

+1 by the way.

I know, off topic, but between this issue, the TM poke, the Stafford exchange and the former players saying there was no unity, you've got to believe it has to fall somewhere on the coach and the players that he recruits.

You have to be f'ing kidding me?!? You are, right?

Care to elaborate?

But Bo's not gonna get canned for winning "only" 9-10 games again. It's not championship or bust this year, or any other year for that matter. Doing that exact thing got us in the hole we're still digging out of almost exactly 10 years ago. Let's not forget where we came from, but let's not forget where we've been either. Unless the wheels completely come off, it's not worth trying to start over again.

This x1000

I agree with that, doing it the right way. But you can still win AND do it the right way, they aren't mutually exclusive. And you're right, he won't be canned if he doesn't and I suppose I should reduct my saying he should. But I do stand by saying it wouldn't really affect me if he did, or that I probably wouldn't be happy. That's an IF statement though. Now if we play all our games close this year losing one game along the way close and losing the OSU game close, I don't think he should be fired either. It's not even really the hardware myself or most fans with a similar mindset have, it's the crushing blowouts and mental fallout that loses games that we shouldn't lose or shouldn't be blown out in. And whatever Bo has done as a coach during his tenure has NOT strengthened this team mentally as throughout EACH season, we've had miscues in games that go beyond just a bad play or two. Games like ISU and the turnovers come to mind, Oklahoma in the conference championship game, or blowing huge leads in the B1G and having to comeback against teams. Those things shouldn't still be happening to this extent at this point in his time with the team.

+1 by the way.

Cool beans.

I agree on the competitiveness standpoint. There wouldnt be nearly as much dissappointmen on the last 2 years had there not been the blowout losses.

And on the doing it right AND winning, if youre honest with yourself, is it really possible? Seems like every team that has been or is at the top over the last decade has something coming out that is not only a breaking of rules, but is clearly suggestive of additional goings-on that would make a compliance dept. do backflips. Bama's next. Mark my word. EZ's has a pretty good insight on some possible issues at FSU in the future. I'm not so sure it is possible. It's a win at all costs society, with win at all costs expectations. And it is sad that it's come to that.

It's a win at all costs society, with win at all costs expectations. And it is sad that it's come to that.

I think it's always been that way - just as the value of winning goes up...the costs of winning goes up. Don't think Nebraska wasn't viewed the same way when we were winning.

The timeline could obviously be debated. I'm not trying to imply that society jumped on this fasttrack of lacking morals on any specific date, but it does just seem to be becoming more and more widespread with each passing year, dating back to god knows when.

It's a win at all costs society, with win at all costs expectations. And it is sad that it's come to that.

I think it's always been that way - just as the value of winning goes up...the costs of winning goes up. Don't think Nebraska wasn't viewed the same way when we were winning.

Yeah I was young then, but even I remember the talk about how we were "just letting LP play so we could get a national championship" True or not. But It's possible to do, and I think teams like the Boise's and whatnot prove it. What they do with subpar talent is crazy. It's not a year long thing that they play big boys but they always come out ready when they do. Continual success is often followed by rumor of misdealings and shady play, but I certainly am not of the belief that's it's not possible to win without cutting corners. But hey I could be way off base there.

If Bo has anything to fear it comes back to the depth and the ?s on defense. He has to get this defense going in the right direction now. Taylor and a very loaded offense will help cover some sins this year. Tommy Armstrong or Johnny Stanton or Option C will need time to get acclimated and you got to expect that the new starter will screw up at times. If the defense falters in 2014 then the won-lost record could drop to that 7-5 or 6-6 mark. That might be enough heat to get Pelini knocked out.

If Bo has anything to fear it comes back to the depth and the ?s on defense. He has to get this defense going in the right direction now. Taylor and a very loaded offense will help cover some sins this year. Tommy Armstrong or Johnny Stanton or Option C will need time to get acclimated and you got to expect that the new starter will screw up at times. If the defense falters in 2014 then the won-lost record could drop to that 7-5 or 6-6 mark. That might be enough heat to get Pelini knocked out.

With this schedule, anything less than 9 wins could drop the axe. Now, to me, whether or not I would agree would have to depend on the competitiveness of the losses. It's always gonna be in how it is viewed.

Never have I taken so much of a "wait-and-see" approach to a season as i am with this one. I get myself into these discussions periodically, but when it comes to this 2013 season, I really have no frickin clue what to expect. And I gotta be honest. It's really starting to bug the sh#t out of me.