Pelini, Unity and 2013 Expectations

I for one thinks it's a little early to be talking about firing coaches. Hypothetically or not.

^^^That. I'm with you. Is it really constructive for 90% of these threads to devolve into the W-L record and then start speculating on Bo's status? Swear to God I'll rabbit punch the next person that suggests we fire a coach after a 9 or 10 win season. I hate the blowout losses as much or worse than the next guy but we go through the Solich-Callahan debacle again over my dead body.

Firing a coach is a tough thing to go through. Especially for a place like Nebraska that has had such a record of continuity. Seeing Solich go was tough. What made it tougher was that the guy that replace him was a huge failure. Bo has not been a failure by any means. He has been successful. Has he reached expectations. No. If you say he has, then please tell me where you were five years ago preaching about how our defense would look last year. Bo has work to do. End of story. I don't think anyone has outright said he needs to be fired. And trust me, it is bullsh#t that we even keep saying Bo and fired in the same sentence. That doesn't need to happen. The question is, can Bo fix the problems? If so, how long will it take? And how long will the people with more authority than you or I give him to make it right? People are impatient nowadays and sometimes expectations can ruin you. Fact is, those expectations aren't going to go away. Bo will have to meet them at some point. We will not watch this program gravitate toward mediocrity.........I think the people who believe that still carry some weight around this program.

You jumped to protect Army Allen pretty quick, and the whole reason I responded was that he said Bo NEEDS TO WIN A CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIP or BE FIRED.

Is Bo the best head coach? Nope. Is he top 10? 15? 20? Meh, probably not. Is he still learning? Yup. It is a process. And we need to be patient, because last time we ran a coach out, it didn't turn out too pretty, now did it? Nope, sure didn't. Coaches don't want to coach at programs with unreasonable expectations. While yes, Bo will need to meet his expectations, I feel pretty certain that IF he is fired, the only way it will happen is following a season with 7 or less wins, with an obvious candidate available for hire, so we aren't in another Billy C situation.

I agree and I actually think that we do get 11 this season. And I'll more than applaud Bo when that happens. But to act like another year of 9 wins and 3 blowouts wouldn't be discerning is just as crazy as the notion that Bo is just a God awful coach.

Sometimes I wish Bo got fired or quit so less knowledgeable people like... uh, someone, would understand consistent 9 win seasons is NOT easy.

You know how many coaches would accept a job where 9 wins is "unacceptable"?

Why do you keep lingering on the wins? that's not my end game. It's the blowouts that are unnerving and unacceptable. And to question my intelligence for my opinion on the issue is a bit of a cheap shot. Keep it to what we're talking about.

OK hot shot.

So say we fire Bo.

Who do you propose we hire after firing a coach that has done what (4 other teams?) have done over the last 4 years?

Keep in mind what happened last time we fired a coach that was winning.

So now I'm a hot shot? Ok. It's not my job to pick a replacement, and like I said I want Bo to do great because I like the guy an think he does things the right way. Do i think he's flawed? Yeah. He can't keep the team together well in my eyes. He's started recruiting better, while not getting any high profile guys (no VV doesn't count), he's gotten consistently good classes the past two years. He's fiery and I love that about him, I wasn't even upset with the TA&M game and how he was. But the blowout losses gotta stop Wisconsin was the game that this all really got me to this mentality. We had the better team but for whatever reason, we got SMOKED. That's not ok whether it's a perfect season til then, or a winless one. And to have that twice? Maybe three times if Devin Gardner or Denard played in the Michigan game, or even four if Coulter played more in the NW game.

Those were gifts of games that could have been ugly, and MSU and PSU while maybe not blowouts could have been losses just as easily. While hypothetical they were very possible and really masked how poorly we played last year. How would you have viewed last season if the refs get that fumble call right in that PSU game and we lose? and then If the refs don't save us in the MSU game? we're down to 8 wins, 6 if Hoke and Fitz had brains. How would you view last season then? I know it's a lot of ifs but last season we had a lot of luck to do what we did.

Typically, if you fire a head coach - you should have a list of head coaching candidates that you'd ideally like to target. I'm just saying that is Bo is fired with another 9 win season, that candidate list will look something like it did last time around, but worse. Take another shot, on another no name HC, and go through this process alllllll over again.

I agree the blowouts are an issue - but you have to have patience with the guy. It just isn't reasonable, or healthy for the program to keep firing coaches that win. Eventually, you have to have faith that he will figure it out and put it together - or at least improve the supporting coaches around him that will help him figure it out. Beck & TJ are a good start, IMO, but I think Bo will have to loosen the reigns up around Pap.

As far as high profile recruits - uhm, I think we'll just agree to disagree. I can rattle off a few that we've got over "better" programs for various reasons.

Courtney Love (Notre Dame, Ohio State, USC, Florida State among others), Josh Banderas (a lot), Marcus Newby(Okie, Penn State, Va Tech, South Carolina), Terrell Newby (pretty much every Cal school, Oregon) just from last class alone.

I agree and I actually think that we do get 11 this season. And I'll more than applaud Bo when that happens. But to act like another year of 9 wins and 3 blowouts wouldn't be discerning is just as crazy as the notion that Bo is just a God awful coach.

Sometimes I wish Bo got fired or quit so less knowledgeable people like... uh, someone, would understand consistent 9 win seasons is NOT easy.

You know how many coaches would accept a job where 9 wins is "unacceptable"?

Why do you keep lingering on the wins? that's not my end game. It's the blowouts that are unnerving and unacceptable. And to question my intelligence for my opinion on the issue is a bit of a cheap shot. Keep it to what we're talking about.

OK hot shot.

So say we fire Bo.

Who do you propose we hire after firing a coach that has done what (4 other teams?) have done over the last 4 years?

Keep in mind what happened last time we fired a coach that was winning.

shoot the hostage!

Of course you are right. I am simply stretching to stay positive. We are definitely thin on experience and "knowing the system". However, all indications would suggest that our recruiting in these areas has increased the talent level and potential rather significantly. Bo might just have to break down and make do with what he has rather than waiting 5 years for the players to finally fit into his mold. I love Bo but one of my biggest exasperations with him has been a system that totally breaks down with one missed tackle or one mental mistake. I'm gonna be all goofy optimistic again and hope that maybe Bo will tweak the framework so they can be successful with less experienced guys. Youth aside, I've got to believe we'll be improved at speed, talent, & toughness. Those things can sure help hide some mental/experience issues.

On the bright side, this might force his hand back into that Peso defense and get Evans on the field more. I'm still not convinced with the right talent that defense wouldn't work in the B1G. I'd take Evans/Santos/Anderson in the Peso over Anderson/Santos/Roach in a more traditional B1G defense. Our experience and talent is deep in the backfield. Hopefully we see those guys on the field more in some variation of the Peso that takes the B1G by surprise.

+1

This^. Bring back the Peso. Speed kills plain and simple. 2003 we had Super D off the edge. He was a sacking, TFL, fumble causing machine. In the hey day of the 90's we got rid of the slow lumbering D and brought in speed. Beat UM, UF and UT for the MNC. Not bad.

Get our 11 best on the field. I do not buy into the B1G is a bruising conference, We need to force the O in the league to change to our D. Screw this 3 slow a$$ LB's who cant go sideline to sideline. Slow, plodding DE's who cant get up field and make the QB run for their lives.

I really think this is the year that we see an evolution on D like we saw in 2003 under Bo and in 2009-2010. This D (from the LB and DB's ) will look like nothing we have seen under Bo.

This is the year in my opinion. If we are going to see the transformation, it will start this year. Not saying it will all come together and flow like we know Bo's defenses can. But if he simplifies things a bit, let's the young kids get their feet wet without overloading them with information, we have the athletes on this year's team to remind us of what Bo's defense is supposed to look like. Or he will pound far too much information into their heads, they will focus on where they should be and what they should be doing instead of playing ball, it will negate their God given athletic ability and they will fail like last year's team. I say this team has far too much athletic ability to fail. This will be the year that will remind us why they call Bo a defensive GURU.

Can we return to topic? I keep thinking there's been an update, but its just the same stuff about firing or not firing Bo that's in almost all the other threads. This is the leading news about the Huskers right now. Please stick to the topic and go to another thread for other stuff.

Can we return to topic? I keep thinking there's been an update, but its just the same stuff about firing or not firing Bo that's in almost all the other threads. This is the leading news about the Huskers right now. Please stick to the topic and go to another thread for other stuff.

God bless you all fearless leader.

How did this thread turn info an indictment on Bo???

Not really an indictment. This incident in relation to expectations, which transpired into what-ifs for this season, and as usual one little comment was made about possible stipulations on Bo's head and so on and so on. Just typical discussion. Someone made some pretty valid points and someone else got all hot and bothered by it.

You know. That old chesnut.

Conversations do evolve my friend....

It would be ok if every thread didn't devolve into the same "conversation". Plus early posts alluded to possibly more players getting punished, so I'm waiting for that news to break.

• Fire 1

It would be ok if every thread didn't devolve into the same "conversation". Plus early posts alluded to possibly more players getting punished, so I'm waiting for that news to break.

I dont think that's gonna happen. That was probably just typical exageration of the rumors and speculation. I'm bettin we've seen all we're gonna see from this, esp since Brown's dismissal is due to something unrelated to the Suttles incident.