Pelini, Unity and 2013 Expectations

Never have I taken so much of a "wait-and-see" approach to a season as i am with this one. I get myself into these discussions periodically, but when it comes to this 2013 season, I really have no frickin clue what to expect. And I gotta be honest. It's really starting to bug the sh#t out of me.

If you knew what was going to happen it wouldn't make for a very interesting season. So you got that going for you, which is nice.

Never have I taken so much of a "wait-and-see" approach to a season as i am with this one. I get myself into these discussions periodically, but when it comes to this 2013 season, I really have no frickin clue what to expect. And I gotta be honest. It's really starting to bug the sh#t out of me.

If you knew what was going to happen it wouldn't make for a very interesting season. So you got that going for you, which is nice.

You wanna just sit down, shut up, shake your head "yes" and know what I mean?

:lol:

You are right Accountability. I do think Bo would stay in an 8-5 type of year, especially if that last win is in the bowl game. But there would be a lot of heat. 7-6 season counting a bowl loss would be too much to overcome

Winning the bowl always helps going into the off season...but if Bo is 7-5 going into the bowl...i'm not sure he gets a chance to even coach the bowl game. With the next couple years' schedule, I'd say he might be out before it comes around. It would mean losing to UCLA, then likely to Michigan, Michigan State, Penn State, and Iowa...or winning Iowa but losing to Northwestern. Regardless...he'd endure a stretch of 4 straight losses w/ this schedule (2 @ home + UCLA). Don't think he'd survive.

The ironic thing here is that he'd be exiting with a solid offensive system in place and a disastrous defensive unit. Not exactly what TO though he was getting I'm sure.

You are right Accountability. I do think Bo would stay in an 8-5 type of year, especially if that last win is in the bowl game. But there would be a lot of heat. 7-6 season counting a bowl loss would be too much to overcome

Winning the bowl always helps going into the off season...but if Bo is 7-5 going into the bowl...i'm not sure he gets a chance to even coach the bowl game. With the next couple years' schedule, I'd say he might be out before it comes around. It would mean losing to UCLA, then likely to Michigan, Michigan State, Penn State, and Iowa...or winning Iowa but losing to Northwestern. Regardless...he'd endure a stretch of 4 straight losses w/ this schedule (2 @ home + UCLA). Don't think he'd survive.

The ironic thing here is that he'd be exiting with a solid offensive system in place and a disastrous defensive unit. Not exactly what TO though he was getting I'm sure.

No argument here. A 7 win season, and even 8 depending on the performances to me, is the "wheels falling off" I aluded too. I've been a big voice of I'm fine with the 9-10 wins, mainly becuase I'm afraid of the consequences of again fireing a 9-10 win coach. But right now, in year 6, doing it right or not, with this offense and the perceived easy schedule, 7 or 8 wins is not just a slight step back to that of a rebuilding year, but suggestive of major issues that are already being alluded to by some, and would clearly signal to me that the wheels are in fact coming off. It would be time then.

Now with all that said, and though I said I dont know what to expect this year, I do at least know deep down that this wont happen. I think Bo finds that 11th win this year and maybe even a Conference Championship one way or another. I just have a clue on how it will happen. I dont have any idea where the wins will be, or where the losses will be, or even how bad they'll be. How good or bad the defense will be. Our kicker is new. Our offense to me is being unnecessarily propped up as this generational juggernaut, and I'm afraid they wont live up to it. Just too many questions. We usually have a general idea what to expect. But this year, I have no frickin clue.

This to me is a Conf. Championship or Bo's out of a job kind of year IMO. Even with the loss of these guys, excuses for bad recruiting classes until 2 years ago, and consistent 9 win seasons, there comes a point where you either have to provide something of substance or your out. Now that's not me bashing Bo, and by all means I don't expect a Nat. Championship. But We should have a conference title by now, and while 9 wins each season is great, getting blown out in the fashion we have consistently is not. And I'd give those up 9 wins and all for a few 11-2 seasons or 13-0 ones alongside some 8-4's and some 7-5's as long as we are competitive. But how many times last year alone were we just so inconsistent at times (terrible even) that we played just about every team close.

Realistically, we could have been 6-6 last year and none of our losses I can even say were close except for Georgia who had nothing to play four til they decided they wanted to care about the game again. I'm a huge Bo supporter and thought he was super deserving of the job over Gill, but I'm not going to make excuses for him each season like Iowa does for Kirk (not comparing coaching ability just some fans support for the guys). I don't want Bo to go but I sure as hell don't wanna hear about getting blown out to 3 to four teams a year and being a butt of every B1G teams jokes. So IMO, Bo's gotta win the Conf. Ship this year no matter how good OSU is, and play competitively in every game win or loss with no blowouts or he should go and I'd be fine with another rebuilding stage to find the right guy. I know, off topic, but between this issue, the TM poke, the Stafford exchange and the former players saying there was no unity, you've got to believe it has to fall somewhere on the coach and the players that he recruits.

feel free to move this, just thought it was on topic enough when tying in the Pelini and Unity bit.

Really?? I can't believe you really think this way. Wait. Oh. I forgot to look who the poster was. Now it makes sense.

No argument here. A 7 win season, and even 8 depending on the performances to me, is the "wheels falling off" I aluded too. I've been a big voice of I'm fine with the 9-10 wins, mainly becuase I'm afraid of the consequences of again fireing a 9-10 win coach. But right now, in year 6, doing it right or not, with this offense and the perceived easy schedule, 7 or 8 wins is not just a slight step back to that of a rebuilding year, but suggestive of major issues that are already being alluded to by some, and would clearly signal to me that the wheels are in fact coming off. It would be time then.

Now with all that said, and though I said I dont know what to expect this year, I do at least know deep down that this wont happen. I think Bo finds that 11th win this year and maybe even a Conference Championship one way or another. I just have a clue on how it will happen. I dont have any idea where the wins will be, or where the losses will be, or even how bad they'll be. How good or bad the defense will be. Our kicker is new. Our offense to me is being unnecessarily propped up as this generational juggernaut, and I'm afraid they wont live up to it. Just too many questions. We usually have a general idea what to expect. But this year, I have no frickin clue.

I should preface this with: I don't yet believe this defense will be any better than last years. I'll probably think that until about mid-November to be honest with you. However, if it is...and ends up a #20-25ish defense, then yes. 11 wins is certainly up there for the taking. I think if we get 11 wins, it's with 10 regular season wins (losses to Michigan and someone else like Penn State), and a bowl win over an easier opponent than we've faced in years past. Which would provide Bo a buffer and a much easier offseason. He will have missed the conference championship, missed the BCS, but got 11 and won a bowl game for some momentum.

I agree and I actually think that we do get 11 this season. And I'll more than applaud Bo when that happens. But to act like another year of 9 wins and 3 blowouts wouldn't be discerning is just as crazy as the notion that Bo is just a God awful coach.

Sometimes I wish Bo got fired or quit so less knowledgeable people like... uh, someone, would understand consistent 9 win seasons is NOT easy.

You know how many coaches would accept a job where 9 wins is "unacceptable"?

I agree and I actually think that we do get 11 this season. And I'll more than applaud Bo when that happens. But to act like another year of 9 wins and 3 blowouts wouldn't be discerning is just as crazy as the notion that Bo is just a God awful coach.

Sometimes I wish Bo got fired or quit so less knowledgeable people like... uh, someone, would understand consistent 9 win seasons is NOT easy.

Why do you keep lingering on the wins? that's not my end game. It's the blowouts that are unnerving and unacceptable. And to question my intelligence for my opinion on the issue is a bit of a cheap shot. Keep it to what we're talking about.

Why do you keep lingering on the wins? that's not my end game. It's the blowouts that are unnerving and unacceptable. And to question my intelligence for my opinion on the issue is a bit of a cheap shot. Keep it to what we're talking about.

On top of that, people think that we have some miraculous savior that would come in and do better.

I would be pretty surprised if this was the year Bo got 11 wins. We should have six heading into November, but November is a crapshoot. We could go 5-0 or 0-5.

I'm guessing we'll end up with 8 wins at the end of the regular season. UCLA, Northwestern, Michigan and Penn State should all be able to have their way with our defense. I will gladly eat my words, but I can't imagine this inexperienced, unproven group is going to be any better than last year's squad that gave up 63 to OSU and 70 to a really mediocre Wisconsin offense. Despite what should be a very good offense, I think 2013 is a building year. I'm hoping we see progress on defense similar to what we had in 2008, which would set up for a conf. championship run in 2014 (hopefully Braxton Miller does something stupid and goes pro after this year).

I would be pretty surprised if this was the year Bo got 11 wins. We should have six heading into November, but November is a crapshoot. We could go 5-0 or 0-5.

I'm guessing we'll end up with 8 wins at the end of the regular season. UCLA, Northwestern, Michigan and Penn State should all be able to have their way with our defense. I will gladly eat my words, but I can't imagine this inexperienced, unproven group is going to be any better than last year's squad that gave up 63 to OSU and 70 to a really mediocre Wisconsin offense. Despite what should be a very good offense, I think 2013 is a building year. I'm hoping we see progress on defense similar to what we had in 2008, which would set up for a conf. championship run in 2014 (hopefully Braxton Miller does something stupid and goes pro after this year).

As much as I respect your opinion, and enjoy reading your posts, I do have to with all due respect disagree about this team only having 8 wins at the end of the regular season. Too much leadership on offense, and just ENOUGH playmaking on D will help us squeak out 2 more hard wins. A season comparable to last, but with some definite growth of the defensive side of the ball.

As much as I respect your opinion, and enjoy reading your posts, I do have to with all due respect disagree about this team only having 8 wins at the end of the regular season. Too much leadership on offense, and just ENOUGH playmaking on D will help us squeak out 2 more hard wins. A season comparable to last, but with some definite growth of the defensive side of the ball.

Agree.

OK hot shot.

So say we fire Bo.

Who do you propose we hire after firing a coach that has done what (4 other teams?) have done over the last 4 years?

Keep in mind what happened last time we fired a coach that was winning.