Urban Meyer set record straight on Aaron Hernandez

So... Urban Meyer is a bad guy because he had a bunch of criminals on his teams?

That's a precedent Husker fans don't want to set, especially when you look back at the number of arrests we had during Osborne's championship streak in the 90s. This, Husker Fans, is a glass house.

But did TO have FORTY-ONE players arrested of that '95 teams, or was it just a few (as in 3,4, maybe even 5) higher-profile cases that the media used to spin Nebraska into a criminal program?

Sorry, but to have a championship team in which 41 of your 121 players were arrested at some point in time is completely assenine and totally ignorant to an obvious problem.

But no, I wont use it to qualify Urban as a bad guy, just another victim (if that's the proper term) of a win-at-all-costs society.

I would really like to see the numbers on it, and when I get time, I'm gonna try to do it.

So... Urban Meyer is a bad guy because he had a bunch of criminals on his teams?

That's a precedent Husker fans don't want to set, especially when you look back at the number of arrests we had during Osborne's championship streak in the 90s. This, Husker Fans, is a glass house.

But did TO have FORTY-ONE players arrested of that '95 teams, or was it just a few (as in 3,4, maybe even 5) higher-profile cases that the media used to spin Nebraska into a criminal program?

Sorry, but to have a championship team in which 41 of your 121 players were arrested at some point in time is completely assenine and totally ignorant to an obvious problem.

But no, I wont use it to qualify Urban as a bad guy, just another victim (if that's the proper term) of a win-at-all-costs society.

I would really like to see the numbers on it, and when I get time, I'm gonna try to do it.

What's the difference whether it was 41/121 players or 5/22 starters? We're quibbling over fractions at that point.

What's the difference whether it was 41/121 players or 5/22 starters? We're quibbling over fractions at that point.

Well the difference is 41/121 players or 5/120+ players. Now we're just quibbling over quibbles and bits.

So X-number of arrests is OK. But beyond that, it's not OK.

OK.

I never said it was ok. And I dont know the exact number of players that were or have since been arrested of that '95 team, but I'm searching. But comparing a team that had 5 +/- arrests on a certain edition of a team to one that had 40 and saying that there were similar systematic and/or cultural issues on both is a little absurd. Not to mention, players under TO did the time (outside of Phillips, whom is well-documented and whom we obviously didnt need to win anyway). Urban's? Probably not so much in relation to what they did.

Remember the incident with the Spike fella (LB) that was caught in national tv trying to gouge the hell out of some players eyes from the other team? Yeah, if I recall, he got suspended for half of the next game.

I agree that the shear number of players running afoul of the law in this case is alarming and may very well be evident of a win at all costs philosophy. But, it is much more of a societal problem than any one program or one coach. Why should a college football coach have to play surrogate parent? Seems to me these coaches number one job should be to run winning and clean football programs. Recruit, teach/coach, and win games. Maybe their responsibility for keeping the program clean needs to end with eliminating the trouble makers. I know TO and the NU program in general have tried to do more than that, preparing these players to be good citizens and much more than football players (and I'm proud of that) but, lets face facts. Winning at college football requires recruiting a bunch of kids that come from less than ideal circumstances. Many of them are going to stumble regardless what the HC tries to do (witness LP). I don't think we can expect to have our cake and eat it too. I don't much care for Urban Meyer but I also can't crucify him because so many of his players ended up in trouble. I think we need to place a higher expectation on parents and society in general and put less on these guys that already have their hands full trying to put a winning product on the field. What other profession do we hold the boss accountable for what their charges do? Not many.

OK.

I never said it was ok. And I dont know the exact number of players that were or have since been arrested of that '95 team, but I'm searching. But comparing a team that had 5 +/- arrests on a certain edition of a team to one that had 40 and saying that there were similar systematic and/or cultural issues on both is a little absurd. Not to mention, players under TO did the time (outside of Phillips, whom is well-documented and whom we obviously didnt need to win anyway). Urban's? Probably not so much in relation to what they did.

Remember the incident with the Spike fella (LB) that was caught in national tv trying to gouge the hell out of some players eyes from the other team? Yeah, if I recall, he got suspended for half of the next game.

Maybe it's absurd. Maybe it's just a cautionary tale about pointing fingers and mirrors and glass houses.

OK.

Pretty much par for the course. OSU sent the Big Ten offices this video and they didn't do a thing.

Wasnt Riley Washington found innocent or charges dropped or something? It's in TO's book "On Solid Ground". Funny how THAT was never news though.

As far as what JJHusker1 said, it's hard to disagree. But that's going down a social, and possibly political, road that frankly I didnt want to do. But it is what it is.

The other thing is to compare all the good that has come out from under Osborne involving players that dont to anything wrong to that of Meyer's Florida. I know yes that would be nitpicking and being a bitch about it but it is what it is.

Regardless, 41 of 121. Hell, 19 more is half the team. C'mon now.

Were they anything like these: http://sportsillustr...07153/index.htm

TO has talked extensively about the LP situation. That's an isolated case where TO understood that football was the only thing that LP had in his life that would motivate him to stay out of trouble. Whether that judgment call is correct or not is up to peoples' personal opinion. We're not talking about 1/3 of the team being arrested. It was just a few guys.